Author Topic: st anthonys parish east belfast  (Read 239344 times)

tutor

Re: st anthonys parish east belfast
« Reply #405 on: January 26, 2011, 08:57:37 PM »
Does anyone remember Margaret woods and Ann Burns  who both attended ST.Monicas ,1964/1970 and both lived in and around the Castlereagh estate.

oxo

« Reply #406 on: January 26, 2011, 11:06:33 PM »
i left st monicas in 1962 i lived in clonduff drive castlereagh.i knew a marie burns lived down below me had relations that lived in the short strand

smith19

« Reply #407 on: January 30, 2011, 12:49:37 PM »
Sorry folks but I'm a new kid on the block, and referring back to a post by Marcas on Aug 18th 2010 re Kerr's fish shop on Woodstock Road.  In 1953 Hilary Kerr ran a "Draper's" shop and lo and behold in 1954 it changed into a fishmongers!! This info from the Belfast Street Directory.  However many in the parish were very surprised to witness this change, for what did Hilary know about fish and there was a fishmongers a few doors down from him - Gillespies and well established. I don't remember a Robert, obviously Hilary's son but do remember his older brother Michael. Hilary sang in the church choir at St.Anthony's, not very well according to my Dad!!

olelad

« Reply #408 on: January 30, 2011, 08:06:17 PM »
Sorry folks but I'm a new kid on the block, and referring back to a post by Marcas on Aug 18th 2010 re Kerr's fish shop on Woodstock Road.  In 1953 Hilary Kerr ran a "Draper's" shop and lo and behold in 1954 it changed into a fishmongers!! This info from the Belfast Street Directory.  However many in the parish were very surprised to witness this change, for what did Hilary know about fish and there was a fishmongers a few doors down from him - Gillespies and well established. I don't remember a Robert, obviously Hilary's son but do remember his older brother Michael. Hilary sang in the church choir at St.Anthony's, not very well according to my Dad!!

were on the rd was the shop ?

smith19

« Reply #409 on: January 31, 2011, 01:26:37 PM »

were on the rd was the shop ?

No.247. Turn left into Woodstock Road off My Lady's Road and it was the 4th/5th shop on the left, maybe not next door to the Post Office but one or two after that. Got it?

billy mc

« Reply #410 on: January 31, 2011, 04:30:47 PM »
hi everyone, i was in the class of 69, i did all the airoplane drawings,,,, billy mcmullan

olelad

« Reply #411 on: January 31, 2011, 10:03:17 PM »
hi everyone, i was in the class of 69, i did all the airoplane drawings,,,, billy mcmullan

good to hear from you m8. been along time. i can still remember those drawings. top notch they was

olelad

« Reply #412 on: February 01, 2011, 09:40:35 PM »

again billy good to hear from but it would have nice for to let us know were you went from the woodstock and did you make a career out of your talent of drawing ? bit irritating to only hear a hello and goodbye after 40 years  :angry2:

billy mc

« Reply #413 on: February 01, 2011, 09:51:48 PM »
hi im billy,s daughter he doesnt really use pc,s so i doo it all for him lol   he was chuffed that u were talkin an remembered him ,, he moved to blackburn,lancashire and unfortunatly he never did anything with his drawing talent,   he,s abit overwelmed by wat he read and saw , i will get him to come over to my house and get on here  :swoon:

olelad

« Reply #414 on: February 01, 2011, 10:00:31 PM »
hi im billy,s daughter he doesnt really use pc,s so i doo it all for him lol   he was chuffed that u were talkin an remembered him ,, he moved to blackburn,lancashire and unfortunatly he never did anything with his drawing talent,   he,s abit overwelmed by wat he read and saw , i will get him to come over to my house and get on here  :swoon:

thanks for that. we all remember him for those great drawings. alway nice to know what became of our fellow class mates. if im right i think billy lived somewhere between radnor st and spring st on the left side of the rd going towards the short strand ? i was down at the house once or twice. hopefully billy might remember if weve forgotten any names on the class reg which weve put together as the orginals are long gone. bit like the school  :D  look forward to hearing from billy.

thebell

« Reply #415 on: February 02, 2011, 11:08:15 PM »
Nice to see life in this tread yet , hey old lad, still going strong.

billy mc

« Reply #416 on: February 03, 2011, 11:49:15 AM »
to all at st anthony,s r.c primary class of 69.
   first off let me say, i,m abit surprised that anybody from that period remembers as much as you all seem too, and also, pleasantly surprised and not less than chuffed that a wee group of ten yr olds are all finding out where we all are, now were slightly older. nice.
   anyway suddenly, on the 10.3.69, we found ourselves on a slowboat to england, but as i found out many yrs later, unlike elvis,we were told to leave the building, god forbid falling in love in n.ireland. one of my da,s old school pals playfully, shoved a gun in his ribs and told him in no uncertain term,s "get out, get out now!! or we,ll burn you out!" bye bye 75 woodstock rd. hello blackburn lancashire....
  my ma,my da six kids, mini clubman, nothing but the clothes on our backs. three days after my eleventh birthday(after passing my 11 plus. going to st malachy,s)
  we were strangers in a strangers land. ill get back to you,s on this one, heads goin abit.
                                              billy mc

billy mc

« Reply #417 on: February 03, 2011, 12:00:45 PM »
ok back on track,,,,,, suffice to say im ok,hope your all ok
 happily married since i was 18 to my lovely lizzie(elizabeth) 3 wonderful kids, cathy,billy kirsty, 6 beautiful grankids, olivia, cameron sadie, lily,lacey and liam.
 truthfully, afterbringing it all back to me, i could right a fkn book. strangley though, i can only remember d.d carlisle, paul o,hara and billy grey!  d.d because we were close for a while, as were me an paul.  billy,a a different matter, ive got a piece of pencil lead in my left arm,after billy stabbed me with a pencil when we were about 6-7 in lagan village, god how he laughed, kids eh,,
 love to you all and thanks for remembering me, and yes i still draw,but only when the mood takes me :)  im fork lift truck driver for f*$ks sake, tony wats your surname?
billy mc
p.s clem tell me more??????

olelad

« Reply #418 on: February 04, 2011, 02:55:42 PM »
ok back on track,,,,,, suffice to say im ok,hope your all ok
 happily married since i was 18 to my lovely lizzie(elizabeth) 3 wonderful kids, cathy,billy kirsty, 6 beautiful grankids, olivia, cameron sadie, lily,lacey and liam.
 truthfully, afterbringing it all back to me, i could right a fkn book. strangley though, i can only remember d.d carlisle, paul o,hara and billy grey!  d.d because we were close for a while, as were me an paul.  billy,a a different matter, ive got a piece of pencil lead in my left arm,after billy stabbed me with a pencil when we were about 6-7 in lagan village, god how he laughed, kids eh,,
 love to you all and thanks for remembering me, and yes i still draw,but only when the mood takes me :smile:  im fork lift truck driver for f*$ks sake, tony wats your surname?
billy mc
p.s clem tell me more? :scratch_ones_head: ??

david carlisle sadly passed away afew years back.
paul ohara still about belfast, short strand possible
billy gray ? that name was mentioned b4 and one guy said that was your name ?!  :D  for whatever the reason i alway remembered your surname but not a clue of your first. one thing billy out of all the class your drawings mean your well remembered even if they cant remember your name.
billy gray were was he from ? must have been lower woodstock or short strand ? was he in our class at st anthonys ? if so theres anew name for the reg.

olelad

« Reply #419 on: February 04, 2011, 03:01:56 PM »
to all at st anthony,s r.c primary class of 69.
   first off let me say, i,m abit surprised that anybody from that period remembers as much as you all seem too, and also, pleasantly surprised and not less than chuffed that a wee group of ten yr olds are all finding out where we all are, now were slightly older. nice.
   anyway suddenly, on the 10.3.69, we found ourselves on a slowboat to england, but as i found out many yrs later, unlike elvis,we were told to leave the building, god forbid falling in love in n.ireland. one of my da,s old school pals playfully, shoved a gun in his ribs and told him in no uncertain term,s "get out, get out now!! or we,ll burn you out!" bye bye 75 woodstock rd. hello blackburn lancashire....
  my ma,my da six kids, mini clubman, nothing but the clothes on our backs. three days after my eleventh birthday(after passing my 11 plus. going to st malachy,s)
  we were strangers in a strangers land. ill get back to you,s on this one, heads goin abit.
                                              billy mc

going by the date yous was put out (something which was the norm for those living below my ladys rd to the alberbright rd, been put out at the very start of the troubles) most of us who lived on up the rd towards the cregagh got staying until july 72. so we was 14/15 when leaving and therefore knew each other better. in saying that once you went to seconary school you found new mates and that was the same for everyone. seems agood few of yous who came from lagan village passed the 11+. most of went to gusties.
check your pms