Author Topic: st anthonys parish east belfast  (Read 247956 times)

olelad

Re: st anthonys parish east belfast
« Reply #420 on: February 04, 2011, 03:03:16 PM »
Nice to see life in this tread yet , hey old lad, still going strong.

about time you stuck up some stories from the old manor ?  ;)

olelad

« Reply #421 on: February 04, 2011, 04:52:06 PM »
class reg p7 69.
colin donnelly
robert semple
paul ohara
vincent weir
thomas mccullough
brian collins
danny o reilly
colmn coleman
clem mcilhatton
tony rutherford
gerard turley
gerard murray
david carlisle
francie rehill
tony mcloughlin
john marks
joesph rea
billy gray
brian grant
geberial mcguigian
micky oneil
joe beattie
gerry christian
terrance dawson
paul gracey
desmond mulligan
kenny eccles
kevin mcanally
peter scott
billy mcmullan
brendan mullan
danny burns ?
martin halliday ?

33 names there. 2 at the end isnt 100%. we alway reckoned on about 35 or so in the class so there abouts.

ive taken out aiden corrigan and added in billy gray. you can confirm if he was in our class billy ?
can you name your fellow lagen village mates

Marcas

« Reply #422 on: February 05, 2011, 02:29:28 PM »
Can just about remember Margaret Woods and Ann Burns and they were two gorgeous girls ! Had a terrible crush on Ann when i was in about primary 5 in St Anthonys but she didnt know i existed. Couldnt believe as teenagers she went out with Joe Davidson, was crushed  :smile:

Rose8

« Reply #423 on: February 06, 2011, 10:37:08 PM »
I've only recently been informed of this thread, and I really enjoyed reading all the posts today.  I was at the girl's school until 1956 and lived in Ravenhill Avenue.  Later on (60's & 70's) my children went to St Anthony's (The Henderson's).  In one of the posts someone wondered how the school kept going during the troubles?  The children came not only from Short Strand and St Matthews but also from families who lived further up the road (past Bell's Bridge).  The school put buses on to take them to and from the school.  I was one of many who braved the "Worker's Strike" by taking my kids through the barricades on the Cregagh Rd.

I still belong to St Anthony's, I am in the choir, and I set up and look after their website (link below).  Yes, the church is doing a lot better these days, with parishioners not only from Poland but also China, Japan, Lithuania, Africa and many other countries.

I am looking for old pics of the school and surrounding area. I see someone added some of these in earlier posts but they need to say ok on that before I can use them!!

I recently found pictures taken when the church was opened in 1938 and have copied these and will be putting them up on the church site shortly.  I would also love to get a history from someone about Lagan Village School.  I think it would be great to add this to the "History of our Schools" page.  I just need names of teachers, dates, if possible, when the school was operating and anything else of interest.  I hope to also add a link to this Forum subject on the same page.

Glad to see some of the girls getting into the picture recently   and, "Olelad" someone even older than you remembers the good ole, bad ole, days!  ::)
From ROSE :)
St Anthony's School story is at:  http://www.saintanthony.co.uk/page4.html

olelad

« Reply #424 on: February 07, 2011, 09:37:14 AM »
I've only recently been informed of this thread, and I really enjoyed reading all the posts today.  I was at the girl's school until 1956 and lived in Ravenhill Avenue.  Later on (60's & 70's) my children went to St Anthony's (The Henderson's).  In one of the posts someone wondered how the school kept going during the troubles?  The children came not only from Short Strand and St Matthews but also from families who lived further up the road (past Bell's Bridge).  The school put buses on to take them to and from the school.  I was one of many who braved the "Worker's Strike" by taking my kids through the barricades on the Cregagh Rd.

I still belong to St Anthony's, I am in the choir, and I set up and look after their website (link below).  Yes, the church is doing a lot better these days, with parishioners not only from Poland but also China, Japan, Lithuania, Africa and many other countries.

I am looking for old pics of the school and surrounding area. I see someone added some of these in earlier posts but they need to say ok on that before I can use them!!

I recently found pictures taken when the church was opened in 1938 and have copied these and will be putting them up on the church site shortly.  I would also love to get a history from someone about Lagan Village School.  I think it would be great to add this to the "History of our Schools" page.  I just need names of teachers, dates, if possible, when the school was operating and anything else of interest.  I hope to also add a link to this Forum subject on the same page.

Glad to see some of the girls getting into the picture recently   and, "Olelad" someone even older than you remembers the good ole, bad ole, days!  ::)

glad you found the site. it was me who put up the photos work away with them  :smile:

olelad

« Reply #425 on: February 07, 2011, 10:21:52 AM »

seeing as your still involed in the old parish. was a school reunion ever mentioned at all ? i alway wondered why the parish never (or maybe they did) think about doing so.
the reunion of sorts those years ago was put together by past pupils themselfs

billy mc

« Reply #426 on: February 07, 2011, 12:21:36 PM »
was that Billy not Billy McMullan?

who are you strandguy?

Rose8

« Reply #427 on: February 07, 2011, 01:52:33 PM »
Thanks Olelad for the use of the photos!! :air_kiss:

About reunions, the truth is that the church has mostly new parishioners now, many from St Bernadette's, Holy Rosary and Ballyhackamore Parishes as well as migrant families who don't stay long.  In fact, there are very few catholics who live in and around the church now.  I think there are 2 in the Crescent and about 5 or 6 in the Drive.  Very few in the streets nearby.  Big change from the old days.  Sometimes at a funeral we do meet up with old classmates but they are very widely scattered now.  Because we are still so small and our congregation widespread, we don't have any parish committees and the Hall is no longer there either.  If there are any gatherings they meet in the old girl's school hall (now St Vincent's centre).

I will put a link to this Forum on the church website and hope that it might generate some new (old) pupils to add to this thread.

olelad

« Reply #428 on: February 07, 2011, 07:48:56 PM »
Thanks Olelad for the use of the photos!! :air_kiss:

About reunions, the truth is that the church has mostly new parishioners now, many from St Bernadette's, Holy Rosary and Ballyhackamore Parishes as well as migrant families who don't stay long.  In fact, there are very few catholics who live in and around the church now.  I think there are 2 in the Crescent and about 5 or 6 in the Drive.  Very few in the streets nearby.  Big change from the old days.  Sometimes at a funeral we do meet up with old classmates but they are very widely scattered now.  Because we are still so small and our congregation widespread, we don't have any parish committees and the Hall is no longer there either.  If there are any gatherings they meet in the old girl's school hall (now St Vincent's centre).

I will put a link to this Forum on the church website and hope that it might generate some new (old) pupils to add to this thread.

yes indeed the parish has changed big time from the late 60s but a reunion covering the schools haydays from the past would im sure be very well received by ex pupils. it could be held in the girls school or a venue in town. (we used the crown bar) with the parish's backing im sure it would be agreat success and while as you say we all spread all over the place after been forced out. it still is part of each and everyone of our past and therefore cant be forgotten.

Rose8

« Reply #429 on: February 07, 2011, 09:39:09 PM »

yes indeed the parish has changed big time from the late 60s but a reunion covering the schools haydays from the past would im sure be very well received by ex pupils.

A reunion is a lovely idea, I agree but Oh if it was only that easy! Maybe we'll get a few more on this thread in the next while and see if it generates some interest.

olelad

« Reply #430 on: February 07, 2011, 09:50:38 PM »

A reunion is a lovely idea, I agree but Oh if it was only that easy! Maybe we'll get a few more on this thread in the next while and see if it generates some interest.

indeed. when we done it , it was great craic and it was great to see the guys after so many years. lucky  we had around 5 of us who put in agood few hours and leg work putting things together. in the end it was agood day out, we had are day and i think its maybe the parish itself who should maybe put a reunion together next time  :smile:

smith19

« Reply #431 on: February 07, 2011, 11:08:11 PM »

Lovely to hear from you Rose8 and to learn that we are almost of the same vintage! I left St.Anthony's in 1953 and lived 30 years of my life in Willowfield Crescent, affectionately known as "Pope's Row". I have mostly happy and warm memories of my childhood in Willowfield and the many good people who I knew then and by any chance would you be the sister of Denis? My slightly older sisters would have known him. I do have some photos which would be of interest, but I'm a novice regarding computers and do not know how to load them on but I will learn. I could provide names of the teachers during my time if they would be of any use. Did you know the Jones of Ravenhill Avenue and Fr.Harry?

Keep in touch

Rose8

« Reply #432 on: February 07, 2011, 11:27:11 PM »

and by any chance would you be the sister of Denis? My slightly older sisters would have known him. I do have some photos which would be of interest, but I'm a novice regarding computers and do not know how to load them on but I will learn. I could provide names of the teachers during my time if they would be of any use. Did you know the Jones of Ravenhill Avenue and Fr.Harry?

Keep in touch

Hi would that be Gerard by any chance??  Yes I am Dennis's sister and I think we met at your Aunt's funeral?  I would really love to see those photos if you could send them.  I am trying to put together a lot of the old photos for the church website. Did you go to Lagan Village before St Anthony's or not?  I really need a bit of that history which I can't find anywhere.

Yes, we lived about 10 doors from the Jones' and I knew Fr Harry, Maureen and her other sister (forgotten her name).  The Fallon's lived opposite them (Matt Fallon used to be bar manager in the Cregagh Inn).  The McDonalds lived beside the Cregagh Inn until they moved beside my parents in the Ave.

Small world this forum  

smith19

« Reply #433 on: February 08, 2011, 11:59:25 AM »

Hi would that be Gerard by any chance??  Yes I am Dennis's sister and I think we met at your Aunt's funeral?  I would really love to see those photos if you could send them.  I am trying to put together a lot of the old photos for the church website. Did you go to Lagan Village before St Anthony's or not?  I really need a bit of that history which I can't find anywhere.

Yes, we lived about 10 doors from the Jones' and I knew Fr Harry, Maureen and her other sister (forgotten her name).  The Fallon's lived opposite them (Matt Fallon used to be bar manager in the Cregagh Inn).  The McDonalds lived beside the Cregagh Inn until they moved beside my parents in the Ave.

Small world this forum  

No not Gerard, but Brian - the good looking one! Sadly the "baby" Noel died a few years ago but the twin sisters Marie and Stephana still thrive. I did not go to Lagan Village but straight into St.Anthony's. I may pay a visit to meet you on Sunday if that is OK. What time do you usually go?

Rose8

« Reply #434 on: February 08, 2011, 12:15:10 PM »

I may pay a visit to meet you on Sunday if that is OK. What time do you usually go?
oops! sorry Brian.  Did you know Eliz and Lester Crothers by any chance??  Mass is at 11.30 on Sundays and I will be in the choir if you want to meet afterwards.
Regards