Author Topic: st anthonys parish east belfast  (Read 237360 times)

Marcas

Re: st anthonys parish east belfast
« Reply #435 on: February 08, 2011, 05:46:05 PM »
This is a story i was told by an old boy i used to have a pint with over 30 years ago. He was Bob O'Connor and told me he was one of the first pupils into St Anthonys. He was from the St Matthews parish and he and the rest of the kids and the teacher walked to the new school every morning. He remembered the teacher being spat at and the kids abused going up Templemore Ave. Now this is the interesting bit and he swore it was true. Said when St Anthonys opened it was a mixed school and he didnt mean boys and girls. Told me the Catholic kids started at 9 and did religion and a bit of Irish and the Protestant kids started at 9.30. Could this be true ?

Said this lasted until Nettlefield opened and they all left and went there. Now i googled Nettlefield and it didnt open until 1933 which is a full 20 yrs after St Anthonys opened its doors. Cant see the Protestant kids being there for that entire period when you take in the events of 1916, partition and the troubles of the 1920's. Was there an earlier Nettlefield that was demolished and replaced in 1933 or maybe Bob was wrong and it was another school entirely. Maybe the local historians can shed some light on it.

olelad

« Reply #436 on: February 08, 2011, 09:28:33 PM »
This is a story i was told by an old boy i used to have a pint with over 30 years ago. He was Bob O'Connor and told me he was one of the first pupils into St Anthonys. He was from the St Matthews parish and he and the rest of the kids and the teacher walked to the new school every morning. He remembered the teacher being spat at and the kids abused going up Templemore Ave. Now this is the interesting bit and he swore it was true. Said when St Anthonys opened it was a mixed school and he didnt mean boys and girls. Told me the Catholic kids started at 9 and did religion and a bit of Irish and the Protestant kids started at 9.30. Could this be true ?

Said this lasted until Nettlefield opened and they all left and went there. Now i googled Nettlefield and it didnt open until 1933 which is a full 20 yrs after St Anthonys opened its doors. Cant see the Protestant kids being there for that entire period when you take in the events of 1916, partition and the troubles of the 1920's. Was there an earlier Nettlefield that was demolished and replaced in 1933 or maybe Bob was wrong and it was another school entirely. Maybe the local historians can shed some light on it.

interesting story marcas although i think it might have been told after one to many  :smile:

olelad

« Reply #437 on: February 08, 2011, 09:31:48 PM »
 Did you go to Lagan Village before St Anthony's or not?  I really need a bit of that history which I can't find anywhere.

theres afew who post on here who went to lagan village. the bell/billymc and teap. i know it closed its doors 67/68 and they joined us at st anthonys. my 2 counins who lived in radnor st went there and i remember going there to meet them and i remember the place been a dark hole  :D

smith19

« Reply #438 on: February 08, 2011, 10:07:58 PM »
oops! sorry Brian.  Did you know Eliz and Lester Crothers by any chance??  Mass is at 11.30 on Sundays and I will be in the choir if you want to meet afterwards.
Regards

Will try to meet you. Elizabeth - nee Ailish Lundy late of Ranelagh Street and Lester. I worked with them for many years in BCH laboratory,both great fun and many happy memories of our friendship.

Rose8

« Reply #439 on: February 09, 2011, 12:00:33 AM »
This is a story i was told by an old boy i used to have a pint with over 30 years ago.  Told me the Catholic kids started at 9 and did religion and a bit of Irish and the Protestant kids started at 9.30. Could this be true ?

hi Marcus
Just found some information on Lagan Village School which might shed some light on this - will post tomorrow - can't keep my eyes open!!

From ROSE :)
St Anthony's School story is at:  http://www.saintanthony.co.uk/page4.html

Marcas

« Reply #440 on: February 09, 2011, 06:46:24 PM »
This is an article from the Irish News in April 1936.
Our readers will be interested to learn that work on the new church of St Anthony will begin on Mon, 20th April 1936. The site has already been given into the hands of the builders, Messrs P&F McDonnell, Fallswater Works. This firm secured the contract in open competition.

The Church will add to the many sacred buildings in the city. It will cost about 25,000, the material to be used being Ballycullen stone. When completed, it will be a most imposing structure and will further enhance the reputation of the well known and gifted Belfast Architect Mr Padraic Gregory, M.R.I.A.I

The Church will be Gothic in design and will rank architecturally with the finest ecclesiastical buildings in any part of the city. It should be here mentionedthat as the finest timber is to be used, local timber merchants will benefit to a large extent, thus benefitting Protestant firms.

THE ACCOMODATION
The Church will be surrounded by ornate railings, with 3 entrances. Portion of the site has been allotted at the rear foer a new school. There will be seating accomodation for 750 persons, while there will be a large sacristy and rooms for the St Vincent De Paul Society, whose charitable work, as everyone recognises, extends to all creeds. The present Mass House in Willowfield only accomodates 200 and there is a pressing need for the new Church.

A CROWNING GLORY
The completion of the new Church will mark the crowning glory in the missionary work of the Venerable Pastor of the parish, Right Rev. monsignor Dean Crolly, P.P, V.G. For many years Dean Crolly has laboured assiduosly for his people. Dean Crolleys father was a relative of the great Archbishop Crolly, Archbishop of Armagh, also a former Bishop of Down & Connor and who laid the foundation stone of the great Cathedral in the Primatial city.

Rose8

« Reply #441 on: February 10, 2011, 01:28:24 AM »
This is a story i was told by an old boy i used to have a pint with over 30 years ago. Told me the Catholic kids started at 9 and did religion and a bit of Irish and the Protestant kids started at 9.30. Could this be true ?
It seems that Lagan Village had been a school under the management of a Presbyterian Minister before it was bought by the Church for the education of catholic children living in the area in 1870. It may be that Protestant children continued to be taught there for a while?

I have now added information on Lagan Village School to the church website. This information was taken from research carried out by Monsignor Ambrose Macauley for the Church's Golden Jubilee in 1988.

Marcas

« Reply #442 on: February 10, 2011, 05:16:45 PM »
Erection of Catholic Church in Belfast
Rouses the Fury of Protestant Bigots
Meeting Called to Protest
against the Popish Chapel

To Be Held in Unionist Hall
Insulting Poster in City Streets
Description of the Edifice which
Provokes the Bigots to Ire

A move to prevent Catholics in Belfast exercising their religion has just come to light. The decision to build a Catholic Church in Willowfield, East Belfast, has provoked the bigots to fury and efforts are now being made to prevent the Church being built. Plastered on the walls of the East district are posters which read as follows:

ULSTER PROTESTANT LEAGUE
                    A Meeting
Under the auspices of the above League
               Will Be Held in
    Willowfield Unionist Hall
           East Belfast
    on Fri 17th April 1936 at 8 pm

To protest against the erection of a Popish Chapel in this district, thus increasing the anti British elements in East Belfast.

PROTESTANTS

Assemble in force against this incursion of Romanism which is the same as sedition in your midst.

KEEP ULSTER PROTESTANT
             GOD SAVE THE KING

thebell

« Reply #443 on: February 10, 2011, 10:13:12 PM »

hi Marcus
Just found some information on Lagan Village School which might shed some light on this - will post tomorrow - can't keep my eyes open!!

I went to lagan village in 1963/4 in p1 was miss o kane, gas lights and fire and a kitchen that did oxo drinks in plastic mugs boiling hot, no health and safety [censored]. next classroom was ms mcgirr from canada i think. and told us of great lakes and provinces, then the third and final room had the bitch from hell, o,kane. Three classrooms, yard out the back. wee sweet shop round the corner. the walk home took us past a big pub in my ladys road, i still remember the lovely smell of stout as we walked past. luckily moved to st ants before okane and had brian gallagher as teacher, he was spot on. sometimes mr hart or fruit cake vinty, wiser in purdysburn. happy days lol. 

thebell

« Reply #444 on: February 10, 2011, 10:18:07 PM »
whats this censored, i only said [censored].

olelad

« Reply #445 on: February 11, 2011, 03:41:23 PM »

I went to lagan village in 1963/4 in p1 was miss o kane, gas lights and fire and a kitchen that did oxo drinks in plastic mugs boiling hot, no health and safety [censored]. next classroom was ms mcgirr from canada i think. and told us of great lakes and provinces, then the third and final room had the bitch from hell, o,kane. Three classrooms, yard out the back. wee sweet shop round the corner. the walk home took us past a big pub in my ladys road, i still remember the lovely smell of stout as we walked past. luckily moved to st ants before okane and had brian gallagher as teacher, he was spot on. sometimes mr hart or fruit cake vinty, wiser in purdysburn. happy days lol.

im sure that pub on the corner is still there

smith19

« Reply #446 on: February 14, 2011, 10:03:40 PM »
FAO ROSE8

SORRY I MISSED OUT ON SUNDAY WILL DEFINITELY TRY TO MAKE IT NEXT WEEK.

Rose8

« Reply #447 on: February 16, 2011, 12:24:40 AM »
FAO ROSE8

SORRY I MISSED OUT ON SUNDAY WILL DEFINITELY TRY TO MAKE IT NEXT WEEK.
That'd be great.  Maybe you could lend me those old school photos so I could add them to the parish website?
best wishes

belle_fast

« Reply #448 on: February 16, 2011, 03:11:08 PM »
Saw a post from belle_fast earlier. Can remember the Regan twins and their sis but her name escapes me. Used to hang out in Daddy Winkers but thats another story  :smile:

Hi Marcas,

I don't get the chance to swing by here very often but my maiden name was Regan and the twins are my uncles.  They have 3 sisters; my aunts - 'M', 'C' & 'P'.

I have a fair idea what may have went on at Daddy Winkers too  :air_kiss:
Regan / O'Regan, Kennedy, Moore, Maskey, Sloan, Carser, Forrester, Gillen & McCartney.

belle_fast

« Reply #449 on: February 16, 2011, 03:16:00 PM »
I knew the Regan family well, They lived down what we used to call the stumps next to the Boyds My granny Mrs Duffy was good friends with Mrs Regan. Have great memories of my childhood living in Carlingford St and had great friends.

Hi AnnieD,

I recall my Dad talking about the Duffy's and what a lovely family they were.  Mrs Regan was my Granny, she died in 1982. 

The house near the stumps (well it's just a single stump now) is still occupied by Regans.  I'm sure I have some pictures of the old stumps somewhere, I must see if I can dig that out and get round to posting it on here.
Regan / O'Regan, Kennedy, Moore, Maskey, Sloan, Carser, Forrester, Gillen & McCartney.