Author Topic: st anthonys parish east belfast  (Read 237518 times)

belle_fast

Re: st anthonys parish east belfast
« Reply #450 on: February 16, 2011, 03:33:11 PM »
I just read this thread start to finish. I was rared in Carlingford Street, and still live in the area. I'm only 33, so a good while after most of yourselves. Its amazing for me to read all this, but I feel a bit sad to say that my family must have moved into our house in Carlingford street after probably one of the catholic families were made to leave. I think it was probably late 60 early 70's when my family moved there, it was certainly before I was born.
Its great to hear you all loved growing up there, its strange for me to hear how the community used to be, for me growing up in the area there was no catholics of my age at all, someone mentioned popes row, we still call that row of houses popes row, from what we were told growing up it was mostly catholics that lived there, may still be ?

We played in the grounds of the Chapel, and in the grounds of the Convent, or "the home" as we called it, the care taker even used to let us keep our bonfire wood there. I never knew that the Chapel was St, Anthony's and I've live no more than a couple of streets away from it almost all my life. I knew the school was St.  Anthony's as we did a cross community scheme, Nettlefield and St Anthony's it was called CRIS, Community Relations in Schools, really this was the first contact I had with anyone from the catholic community. Almost all the pupils there where from the Short Strand, I still remember some of them.

We played in all the same place previously mentioned, The Chapel, the home, daddy winkers, over the park (Ormeau).
The stumps is still the stumps, and so is popes row. Mary's chippy is still a chippy, had a good few different owners now, when it was still Mary's it was always lovingly referred to as Greasy Mary's, a pastie and line please.
Someone mentioned Tailors, I take it that was on the road facing Ardenvohr St. We still call it Tailors, even though its a Mace now, and I have never know it as anything other than a sweet/tobacconist shop, but still Tailors none the less. The auld laundry hasn't been there for some years now, we also collected cheesers there, infact some of the trees are still there.
Does anyone know what the bit of waste ground between Tildarg and Ogilvie street was originally used for ?
Who ever it was that mentioned the Regans and the Sloan's, I know of both families, and you must be about the same age as me, so we may well know each other.
Did anyone live in Carlingford street, the only person who I know was there before us was our next door neighbour, Mr. Monroe, I never knew his first name, he was a lovely old man, had this way of telling you off so that you knew you'd done wrong, but you never felt put upon. He past away when I must have been 6 or 7. If I ask my da he'd probably be able to tell me who else lived there before us, but I just don't know. I'd be interested to hear from anyone who used to live in Carlingford street.

p.s.
The wine store on the corner of Ardgowan street is still a wine store, I never knew it as anything other than a Russel Cellars, I do remember it when it was narrow and long, the door used to be right on the corner. I'll ask my mother in law, as she used to work in it in the 80's.

David

Hi David,

I'm a little older than you but not by much so I reckon there's a good chance we may know each other (my maiden name was Regan).

I played in all those areas too, used to scale the walls of the home, the laundry, the monkey puzzle tree at Ormeau Park (I was a bit of a tomboy).  I remember going to a summer scheme type thing at Daddy Winkers Park when I was really young and my Mum told me she entered me in a Bonny Baby competition at Daddy Winkers Park once (which I either won or was runner up, can't remember)!  Don't think Daddy Winkers Park is there anymore is  it?

I'd forgotten about Taylors, I used to go round there to get my magazines when I was wee.  I used to cut through the entry linking Euston St and Hatton Drive to get there from school. 

I don't remember a lot of names from the 80's & 90's in the area so chuck a few at me if you can and I'll see if they ring any bells (I can always ask my Dad who's been in the area all his life).

On the space between Tildarg & Ogilvie St, I was fascinated to learn that there was once a dairy there.  There are pics somewhere on this forum of it along with pictures of Tildarg St and Euston Street Primary School being built in the 1920's.  If you get a bit of time, have a scroll through the old pictures threads on here (if I can find a link, I'lll post it).

Regan / O'Regan, Kennedy, Moore, Maskey, Sloan, Carser, Forrester, Gillen & McCartney.

Rose8

« Reply #451 on: February 16, 2011, 05:32:16 PM »
Earlier in this thread Olelad posted a list of boys at St A's Primary School so this is the list of

Girls at St Anthony's Primary School, Willowfield in 1950-56

Anne Derby
Annette Crossan
Ailish Lundy
Betty Jones
Charlotte McQuade
Colette Coulter
Eileen Williamson
Florence Mackin (RIP)
Jean Smith
Joan Rainey
Kathleen Maginn
Kathleen Maguire
Kathleen Lundy
Kathleen Howard
Kathleen Boyd
Kay McCartan
Mary Hart
Maureen Munster
Margaret Boyle
Mary Lally
Maureen Braiden
Moya Devlin
Margaret McQuade
Maeve Moore
Marie Hearne
Maureen Keating
Mary Mullan
Maura Connolly
Patricia Johnston
Patricia McKay
Pauline Buckley
Rosemary O’Connor
Stephanie McDonnell

This list was compiled from an old scrap of writing paper saved by Kathleen Howard since she left school ! ! !  Sorry if we haven't remembered everyone, but if you were a classmate or know of any others, please let us know. :smile: :smile: :smile: :smile: :smile:

From ROSE :)
St Anthony's School story is at:  http://www.saintanthony.co.uk/page4.html

thebell

« Reply #452 on: February 16, 2011, 10:19:20 PM »

Hi David,

I'm a little older than you but not by much so I reckon there's a good chance we may know each other (my maiden name was Regan).

I played in all those areas too, used to scale the walls of the home, the laundry, the monkey puzzle tree at Ormeau Park (I was a bit of a tomboy).  I remember going to a summer scheme type thing at Daddy Winkers Park when I was really young and my Mum told me she entered me in a Bonny Baby competition at Daddy Winkers Park once (which I either won or was runner up, can't remember)!  Don't think Daddy Winkers Park is there anymore is  it?

I'd forgotten about Taylors, I used to go round there to get my magazines when I was wee.  I used to cut through the entry linking Euston St and Hatton Drive to get there from school. 

I don't remember a lot of names from the 80's & 90's in the area so chuck a few at me if you can and I'll see if they ring any bells (I can always ask my Dad who's been in the area all his life).

On the space between Tildarg & Ogilvie St, I was fascinated to learn that there was once a dairy there.  There are pics somewhere on this forum of it along with pictures of Tildarg St and Euston Street Primary School being built in the 1920's.  If you get a bit of time, have a scroll through the old pictures threads on here (if I can find a link, I'lll post it).

thebell

« Reply #453 on: February 16, 2011, 10:32:50 PM »

Great lines from David

Picking up on the waste ground between ogilvie and tildarg st, I lived in ogilvie st and our house backed on to it and looked over it, in the sixties it had an old tin roof with garage wooden doors in our "entry", there was old cars in there from the fifties i guess, with leather seats ansd running boards ect, we used to get on there an play with them, pretend to go to bangor ect, lol.

At the top of the entry where it met the back of houses from the woodstock was a wee garage with an asbestos roof, i remember that cause i fell through it once getting a ball back, it was owned by awee man called hammy from mountpottinger rd who drove a wee mini. next door was a wood store belonging to jamison and sloane and apparently Van the Man used to practise there, mmmm.

The waste ground had a big breeze block wall built round it after the garages were demolished, I remember my mum telling me about chickens running about there but dont know about a dairy, i will ask my older sister.

Hope thats not too boring, good to see this site plodding on.. well done ould lad.

olelad

« Reply #454 on: February 17, 2011, 10:28:38 PM »
Great lines from David

Picking up on the waste ground between ogilvie and tildarg st, I lived in ogilvie st and our house backed on to it and looked over it, in the sixties it had an old tin roof with garage wooden doors in our "entry", there was old cars in there from the fifties i guess, with leather seats ansd running boards ect, we used to get on there an play with them, pretend to go to bangor ect, lol.

At the top of the entry where it met the back of houses from the woodstock was a wee garage with an asbestos roof, i remember that cause i fell through it once getting a ball back, it was owned by awee man called hammy from mountpottinger rd who drove a wee mini. next door was a wood store belonging to jamison and sloane and apparently Van the Man used to practise there, mmmm.

The waste ground had a big breeze block wall built round it after the garages were demolished, I remember my mum telling me about chickens running about there but dont know about a dairy, i will ask my older sister.

Hope thats not too boring, good to see this site plodding on.. well done ould lad.

is right but when the garages went the back lay open for about 6 months or more b4 the block wall was put up around it. . a 12th bonefire was burned on the site. must have been 71. i took a hiding that night !

Marcas

« Reply #455 on: February 17, 2011, 11:39:42 PM »
Hi Belle_Fast can remember your aunts name now - Carol and thats not bad after 40 yrs  :smile:

olelad

« Reply #456 on: February 21, 2011, 02:50:28 PM »
great job rose8 on the parish site

Rose8

« Reply #457 on: February 21, 2011, 04:08:33 PM »
 :smile: Thanks Olelad.  Have been promised some more photos for the site and hope to put them up as and when!! ::)

smith19

« Reply #458 on: February 21, 2011, 04:52:34 PM »
:smile: Thanks Olelad.  Have been promised some more photos for the site and hope to put them up as and when!! ::)

sorry rosemary missed again. Next Sun in London will try for the following one.

Rose8

« Reply #459 on: February 21, 2011, 07:11:44 PM »
That's ok Smithie, sure I know you must be a busy man    :smile: :smile:

olelad

« Reply #460 on: February 21, 2011, 10:11:20 PM »
[/quote

any idea what year the parish hall was knocked down ?

Rose8

« Reply #461 on: February 23, 2011, 03:41:48 PM »
any idea what year the parish hall was knocked down ?

:scratch_ones_head: Think it was around the late 1990's but will check it out!  :( :(

olelad

« Reply #462 on: February 25, 2011, 02:00:04 PM »

:scratch_ones_head: Think it was around the late 1990's but will check it out!  :( :(

hard to believe they moved the boys school into that wee hall while the old school was renovated

Rose8

« Reply #463 on: February 25, 2011, 02:46:54 PM »

hard to believe they moved the boys school into that wee hall while the old school was renovated

"In my day" in the girls school when you passed into P5 you went over to the hall and P5, 6 & 7 were all taught there with screens dividing the classes.  It was great in the summer mornings if you were late because the door leading to the church was always open and you could sneak inside without being seen, while the prayers were going on!!  :D  (Yes - - -I was usually late  )

olelad

« Reply #464 on: February 27, 2011, 01:21:42 PM »
at some stage maybe p4 we was taught in the st vincent d paul room