Author Topic: st anthonys parish east belfast  (Read 238281 times)

olelad

Re: st anthonys parish east belfast
« Reply #495 on: March 18, 2011, 08:26:41 AM »
I don't know that one as we got our papers from Hodgetts Newspaper Shop beside the Cregagh Inn.

Any chance you could send me that 1946 photo again?  It's not coming up very well.  When you add the file to the email, there should be some attachment options - choose medium size, or if you did that last time, then choose large size.  Sorry for the trouble. 

My brother has this photo too but his is unrecognisable!  His sisters (us I think) were very bad when young and scribbled all over it  

what was the name of the shop between cregagh st and ravenhill ave which sold papers sweets etc ? it seems the main player back then for that sort of stuff. there was also asweet shop corner of ardgowen st woodstock rd. early 70s im on about.

smith19

« Reply #496 on: March 18, 2011, 10:22:10 AM »
I don't know that one as we got our papers from Hodgetts Newspaper Shop beside the Cregagh Inn.

Any chance you could send me that 1946 photo again?  It's not coming up very well.  When you add the file to the email, there should be some attachment options - choose medium size, or if you did that last time, then choose large size.  Sorry for the trouble. 

My brother has this photo too but his is unrecognisable!  His sisters (us I think) were very bad when young and scribbled all over it  

I remember Hodgett's shop well. We would sometimes buy our sweets there when attending the matinee performance on a Saturday at the Ambassador. I have tried to adjust the 1946 school photo and just e-mailed it to you. If no good let me know and I'll enlist other technical support.

smith19

« Reply #497 on: March 18, 2011, 10:29:19 AM »

what was the name of the shop between cregagh st and ravenhill ave which sold papers sweets etc ? it seems the main player back then for that sort of stuff. there was also asweet shop corner of ardgowen st woodstock rd. early 70s im on about.

I can't get the name of this shop but I certainly remember it. Was it as many were, a house with bay window which was converted to a shop and kept the original frontage? Also the shop at Ardgowen St and Woodstock Road I only vaguely remember, but then if you're referring to the early 1970s then I'm afraid we have a big generation gap, and places change rapidly at times. But keep on working. Lovely memories invoked.

olelad

« Reply #498 on: March 18, 2011, 11:22:38 AM »

I can't get the name of this shop but I certainly remember it. Was it as many were, a house with bay window which was converted to a shop and kept the original frontage? Also the shop at Ardgowen St and Woodstock Road I only vaguely remember, but then if you're referring to the early 1970s then I'm afraid we have a big generation gap, and places change rapidly at times. But keep on working. Lovely memories invoked.

you know what youve got me stumped on that shop front ?! something tells me it wasnt the way you decrided it but thats not to say it wasnt like that at one time or im wrong. the shop at ardgowen st i remember very well. it had a cigarette machine at the outside in ardgowen st.

Rose8

« Reply #499 on: March 18, 2011, 03:31:29 PM »

the shop at ardgowen st i remember very well. it had a cigarette machine at the outside in ardgowen st.
:swoon: O you must've been a smoker then when you remember that bit??? ;)
The shop between Cregagh St and the Ave was owned by people called Wylie and it was converted from a house to a shop and they kept the bay window.  My parents knew the Wylies and their son Tom took over the shop when they retired and ran it with his wife. He converted it back to a house when his wife died and he lives there now on his own.  In the early 60's another shop which was a fruit shop, changed hands and opened a few doors away as another sweet shop in competition.  A friend of mine worked there after school and at nights but I can't remember the name of it.  The owners, mother and son, I think lived above it.  O memories    :(

The houses are still all there intact with their bay windows and only one is a shop, another is an office.

Hodgett's sweet shop is still a newsagents and the Cregagh Inn is now a Solicitor's office.  Don't know about Ardgowan St though - I guess we only kept to one side of the road  ::)
From ROSE :)
St Anthony's School story is at:  http://www.saintanthony.co.uk/page4.html

olelad

« Reply #500 on: March 18, 2011, 04:06:08 PM »
:swoon: O you must've been a smoker then when you remember that bit??? ;)
The shop between Cregagh St and the Ave was owned by people called Wylie and it was converted from a house to a shop and they kept the bay window.  My parents knew the Wylies and their son Tom took over the shop when they retired and ran it with his wife. He converted it back to a house when his wife died and he lives there now on his own.  In the early 60's another shop which was a fruit shop, changed hands and opened a few doors away as another sweet shop in competition.  A friend of mine worked there after school and at nights but I can't remember the name of it.  The owners, mother and son, I think lived above it.  O memories    :(

The houses are still all there intact with their bay windows and only one is a shop, another is an office.

Hodgett's sweet shop is still a newsagents and the Cregagh Inn is now a Solicitor's office.  Don't know about Ardgowan St though - I guess we only kept to one side of the road  ::)

well  that sorteds that one out with me wrong again although i did say i wasnt sure
. in fact i was never a smoker but just remember that machine.  :smile:

thebell

« Reply #501 on: March 20, 2011, 12:42:52 PM »
didnt wylies have a candy floss machine and home made toffy apples.. The news agents beside the fish shop was norman mcilroys.. potted herrings mmmmmm. miss em bad.

olelad

« Reply #502 on: March 20, 2011, 07:17:57 PM »
didnt wylies have a candy floss machine and home made toffy apples.. The news agents beside the fish shop was norman mcilroys.. potted herrings mmmmmm. miss em bad.

i dont remember any candy floss thats for sure. was down the old manor today and went to mass in the old chapel. meet rose and her hubby which was top notch.

Rose8

« Reply #503 on: March 20, 2011, 09:00:38 PM »

was down the old manor today and went to mass in the old chapel. meet rose and her hubby which was top notch.
Yea! was great to meet up at last and put a face to the name!!

olelad

« Reply #504 on: April 02, 2011, 03:22:20 PM »
Yea! was great to meet up at last and put a face to the name!!

isnt it agreat pity the parish couldnt put something on for those who lived there in its hayday ? what agreat way to show how the parish survives today after all those years.

smith19

« Reply #505 on: April 09, 2011, 12:29:50 PM »

isnt it agreat pity the parish couldnt put something on for those who lived there in its hayday ? what agreat way to show how the parish survives today after all those years.

Come  on lads and lasses it's all gone very quiet. Great idea Olelad but who would organise it and we're talking about a long period of time and when was the parish's heyday? I lived there from 1942 until 1972 in Willowfield Crescent there would be many others after that. So how do we go about it? Message for Rose8 I have not forgotten you and I'm still working on the sisters to find the names in the photos. Keep well to you all in the meantime.

Me Ould Segoia

« Reply #506 on: April 09, 2011, 06:30:59 PM »
FR. Joe Campbell ?
It is always a great source of amusement to be quoted by a fool, even more so if quoted by a disalusioned "stickie"

Rose8

« Reply #507 on: April 09, 2011, 06:47:37 PM »
FR. Joe Campbell ?
Were you going to say something about Fr Campbell??  It was his anniversary this week.

Rose8

« Reply #508 on: April 09, 2011, 07:00:09 PM »

Great idea Olelad but who would organise it and we're talking about a long period of time and when was the parish's heyday? So how do we go about it?
Yip I agree.  If we were in business now we would form a committee to look into it!!  St A's is far past it's heyday though and at the present time is going through some big changes so probably not the right time anyway.

In the meantime I have been kindly given another photo of a class of boys from St A's in the 50's by John Howard.  I am also getting, this weekend, the names of all those boys in the picture submitted by Olelad some time ago with Mr Mulhern and Fr Fullerton in the centre.  Hope to get these both uploaded at the weekend - so keep watching!!

Looking forward to the girl's names, Smith.  Thnks

olelad

« Reply #509 on: April 09, 2011, 09:01:01 PM »

Come  on lads and lasses it's all gone very quiet. Great idea Olelad but who would organise it and we're talking about a long period of time and when was the parish's heyday? I lived there from 1942 until 1972 in Willowfield Crescent there would be many others after that. So how do we go about it? Message for Rose8 I have not forgotten you and I'm still working on the sisters to find the names in the photos. Keep well to you all in the meantime.

the hayday of the parish was bewteen 65/70 id think.