Author Topic: st anthonys parish east belfast  (Read 241172 times)

Rose8

Re: st anthonys parish east belfast
« Reply #525 on: April 17, 2011, 04:38:48 PM »
2nd picture of girls' class, again around 1945/46

L to R:
Top Row: E Fagan; Breda Magee; Stephanie Smith; Pat Rooney; Imelda McMenamin; Rosemary McMenamin; A Rooney; A Tohill; Rosemary Hanvey.

Middle Row:
A Francis; Grace Lavery; Philomena McConville; A Brown; 7 girls unknown.

Bottom Row:
Deirdre McCready; A Roberts; Marie Smith; K Ferry; B McDevitt; H Close; ??; M Morton; C Ward; L Gartland; A Begley; M Agnew.

If anyone knows different, please post.
From ROSE :)
St Anthony's School story is at:  http://www.saintanthony.co.uk/page4.html

olelad

« Reply #526 on: April 17, 2011, 04:44:50 PM »
makes it worst seeing those pictures that that didnt do a class photo back in my days there  :scratch_ones_head:

smith19

« Reply #527 on: April 19, 2011, 12:40:13 PM »

L to R:
Top Row: E Fagan; Breda Magee; Stephanie Smith; Pat Rooney; Imelda McMenamin; Rosemary McMenamin; A Rooney; A Tohill; Rosemary Hanvey.

Middle Row:

Bottom Row:
Deirdre McCready; A Roberts; Marie Smith; K Ferry; B McDevitt; H Close; ??; M Morton; C Ward; L Gartland; A Begley; M Agnew.

Good day Rose  Well done with your search, I have passed on to the two big sisters and still waiting for a response. .Was the Fr.Campbell mentioned earlier, the curate when Fr.Fullerton died in 1972, and was he acting PP for a while, and did he take the permanent post? Where are the photos to be found on St.Anthony's website?  Keep well.

smith19

« Reply #528 on: April 23, 2011, 12:42:46 PM »

L to R:

Middle Row:

Bottom Row:

Good day Rose

Not having much joy with the two big sisters. The only additions - The tall girl in the middle row with the pinafore dress, white blouse and tie is Anne McGovern - according to Marie. Veronica Lynch is one of the four to Anne's left and the ?? in the centre of the front row she thinks may have been called Bradley. Not very enlightening I'm afraid but she will be consulting Stephana soon who has been on holiday. In the meantime have a happy and peaceful Easter.

Paul McCarthy

« Reply #529 on: April 30, 2011, 10:06:56 PM »
Yes I went to mass last year @ St Anthonys and couldn't believe how well the parish had grown since I left 30 years ago. Nowadays it has a large Polish community in the congregation. Also a good choir!
I remember the choir in the gallery with Miss Brady? Do you?
Any one out there get their pink blouses made by Mrs Crilly?

Miss Brady was my Aunite Gertie - she died last year aged 92. She loved the choir and playing the organ at St Anthony's. She also was the first female teacher at St Malachy's College where she taught violin and music for many years. She had a wonderful memory and a sharp mind right up to her death RIP.

citybloke

« Reply #530 on: May 03, 2011, 06:36:18 PM »
Hi Rose8 - Just viewed photo of St. Anthony's Boys [ circa 1957]. Recognise two of the lads. Kevin Docherty  [back row] and Brendan Coleman, [front row]younger brother of Eamon.   I used to pal about with Kevin up to about 1970 when I moved to England. Sadly lost contact with Kevin  from that date.  Brendan Coleman [also known as Rusty] also moved to England and attended same Teacher Training College as me. He eventually became as Headmaster of Holy Family Primary School Rochdale - been retired now for a few years.

Rose8

« Reply #531 on: May 04, 2011, 07:50:13 PM »

Miss Brady was my Aunite Gertie - she died last year aged 92. She loved the choir and playing the organ at St Anthony's. She also was the first female teacher at St Malachy's College where she taught violin and music for many years. She had a wonderful memory and a sharp mind right up to her death RIP.
Hi Paul, Your Aunt Gertie taught us singing at school in St Anthony's and taught us to sing in the choir every Sunday (up in the gallery with her).  We used to sing the whole Mass in Gregorian Chant on special occasions, which was no mean feat for primary schoolchildren. Not many people knew that for many years Gertie walked up and down from The Mount to play the organ at both 10oc and 12oc masses every Sunday in St Anthony's.  She was so dedicated.

Later I studied piano with your Aunt Marie and knew them both very well.  They were both so pleased to move to the house beside the church where they did enjoy some years being closer to the parish. 

Rose8

« Reply #532 on: May 04, 2011, 08:01:17 PM »
Hi Rose8 - Just viewed photo of St. Anthony's Boys [ circa 1957]. Recognise two of the lads. Kevin Docherty  [back row] and Brendan Coleman, [front row]younger brother of Eamon.   I used to pal about with Kevin up to about 1970 when I moved to England. Sadly lost contact with Kevin  from that date.  Brendan Coleman [also known as Rusty] also moved to England and attended same Teacher Training College as me. He eventually became as Headmaster of Holy Family Primary School Rochdale - been retired now for a few years.
Thanks for this information, I am trying to get as many names as I can to add to the pictures before I upload them to the School Page on St Anthony's website.  Best wishes from Norn Iron!!

Rose8

« Reply #533 on: May 04, 2011, 08:16:42 PM »

Was the Fr.Campbell mentioned earlier, the curate when Fr.Fullerton died in 1972, and was he acting PP for a while, and did he take the permanent post? Where are the photos to be found on St.Anthony's website?
Sorry to have taken so long Brian, what with all the bank hols and Easter it's just been so busy.  Fr Patrick Courtney was the CC and became PP when Fr Fullerton died in 1972 until he was moved in 1975 and Fr Campbell was appointed as PP until 1978 when he too moved on.  Sorry, haven't got the photos up yet on St A's website but will post here when I do.  Getting some more names in the meantime, as you can see by the posts, so that's great. 

Rose8

« Reply #534 on: May 04, 2011, 08:18:24 PM »

The only additions - The tall girl in the middle row with the pinafore dress, white blouse and tie is Anne McGovern - according to Marie. Veronica Lynch is one of the four to Anne's left and the ?? in the centre of the front row she thinks may have been called Bradley.
Thanks for this info as well, any more will be greatly appreciated.   All the best!

spacetinker

« Reply #535 on: May 07, 2011, 05:00:12 PM »
Thanks for this information, I am trying to get as many names as I can to add to the pictures before I upload them to the School Page on St Anthony's website.  Best wishes from Norn Iron!!

Hi Rose8,
 .another name for you ...fourth lad at back L to R beside Doc. is Brian Walker from White St. in the old Short Strand.
 Him and I had a shared interest in model railways.Heads down,completely absorbed,tinkering for hours on winter nights,innocent times indeed. He and his bro. Joined the ATC (air training corp) .Where are you now Brian and did you ever get to play with big boy toys?

Happy Trails.  .Tink

olelad

« Reply #536 on: May 14, 2011, 06:45:01 PM »
gone abit quiet on this front of late  :scratch_ones_head:

olelad

« Reply #537 on: May 29, 2011, 06:50:15 PM »
does anyone know was there ever a parish gaa team ? to my knowledge there wasnt and given the size of the parish in its hay day im surprised there wasnt or maybe there was ? :scratch_ones_head:

smith19

« Reply #538 on: May 30, 2011, 09:21:49 PM »
does anyone know was there ever a parish gaa team ? to my knowledge there wasnt and given the size of the parish in its hay day im surprised there wasnt or maybe there was ? :scratch_ones_head:
I don't believe there was ever a parish team, but there was a school team, see posting by Rose8 on 6 March, run by Mr.Harte. I do not know how long he carried on after I left in 1953.

spacetinker

« Reply #539 on: June 04, 2011, 07:20:27 PM »
gone abit quiet on this front of late  :scratch_ones_head:

"First communion" at St Anthony's 1953

Photo taken in the grounds.

left to right:
John Murray,  Brian Walker,  "Bap" McCotter,  Kevin "Doc" Doherty,  Tommy Crawford and Alec Duggan.

Where have all the years gone. .eh?

Tink