Author Topic: st anthonys parish east belfast  (Read 239348 times)

Rose8

Re: st anthonys parish east belfast
« Reply #540 on: June 04, 2011, 10:48:35 PM »

"First communion" at St Anthony's 1953

Photo taken in the grounds.

Another great photo of St Anthony's kids.  :smile: Hope you don't mind me capturing it for my school album, Tink?  Been a bit busy lately but hoping to get all the school photos posted soon on the church website. ;) Btw, who was the teacher in the fancy hat??
From ROSE :)
St Anthony's School story is at:  http://www.saintanthony.co.uk/page4.html

olelad

« Reply #541 on: June 05, 2011, 03:01:53 PM »
I don't believe there was ever a parish team, but there was a school team, see posting by Rose8 on 6 March, run by Mr.Harte. I do not know how long he carried on after I left in 1953.

i knew of gaelic been played at school although not in my time at the school. it was the parish itself i was wondering about.

olelad

« Reply #542 on: June 05, 2011, 03:04:00 PM »
theres afew first communion photos about the house here of me good self and afew cousins on the hallow turf of the grounds at st anthonys. so ill get me daughter to post them up asap.

spacetinker

« Reply #543 on: June 06, 2011, 08:48:36 PM »

Another great photo of St Anthony's kids.  :smile: Hope you don't mind me capturing it for my school album, Tink?  Been a bit busy lately but hoping to get all the school photos posted soon on the church website. ;) Btw, who was the teacher in the fancy hat??

Hi Rose8,

The kids here are actually from "Lagan Village" school having their first communion at St Anthony's...though most of them went on to St.Anthony's boys later.  and you can see some in the class photo previous. The Lagan village teacher was a "Miss Cardigan".

You are very welcome to save and keep the piccie.  .Tink

smith19

« Reply #544 on: June 08, 2011, 12:14:21 PM »

Hi Rose8,

The kids here are actually from "Lagan Village" school having their first communion at St Anthony's...though most of them went on to St.Anthony's boys later.  and you can see some in the class photo previous. The Lagan village teacher was a "Miss Cardigan".

You are very welcome to save and keep the piccie.  .Tink
Well done Tink, this photo puzzled me greatly, for I left St.Anthony's in 1953 and did not recognise one of these lads. Not surprising as you point out, they were from Lagan Village. Thanks for the clarification.

olelad

« Reply #545 on: June 08, 2011, 05:18:37 PM »
a picture or 2 of lagan village would be nice ? anyone  :smile:

jaybee715

« Reply #546 on: June 16, 2011, 03:44:20 PM »
Hi there Im an old Lagan village pupil went there about 63 to 67. My DOB is 1957 I lived in Castlereagh but put out about 72 and moved to england.

Im trying to research the old school and wonder if you have anything to offer please . A picture would be unbelievable

By the way , do I notice that you are an evertonian too ?

olelad

« Reply #547 on: June 16, 2011, 09:12:59 PM »
Hi there Im an old Lagan village pupil went there about 63 to 67. My DOB is 1957 I lived in Castlereagh but put out about 72 and moved to england.

Im trying to research the old school and wonder if you have anything to offer please . A picture would be unbelievable

By the way , do I notice that you are an evertonian too ?

lagan village closed shortly after you left. with the remaining pupils going to st anthonys. not sure about photos from the school. what school did you go to after there. st augustines ?

Rose8

« Reply #548 on: June 17, 2011, 12:40:28 AM »

Hi JB,
if it's Lagan Village you are researching, there is some information on the church website (Link below) "History of our Schools".  If you have anything you can add to the history or if any of it is incorrect I'd be glad to add or change it.

olelad

« Reply #549 on: June 17, 2011, 10:44:19 PM »
i bet like st anthonys that no records were kept. :unsure:

Rose8

« Reply #550 on: June 17, 2011, 11:29:45 PM »
i bet like st anthonys that no records were kept. :unsure:
O I bet they were kept    just where though???????? ::)

olelad

« Reply #551 on: June 18, 2011, 02:29:34 PM »
O I bet they were kept    just where though? :scratch_ones_head: :scratch_ones_head: ? ::)

no records were ever handed into the education board. none in public records either.
a school of though was back in the day a principle would take the regs home and maybe stick them in the roof space or shed etc. years later he dies then family come along and clear the house out and either throw the paper work out or never come across it at all. another family move in and maybe come across it and as its nothing to them dump it ?!   :swoon:

jaybee715

« Reply #552 on: June 18, 2011, 11:40:37 PM »
Olelad and Rose8

much obliged for your kind input. Many many thanks. I left Lagan Village and went to St Patricks Grammar School in Kings road Gilnahirk. This was a pretty new school which I started in 1967 i think . It was a pretty new school because I remember most of the class rooms were portacabins. As i mentioned earlier I am from Castlereagh . My family was put out of there in 73 and we moved to England where I still live but come home regularly (6/7 times a year)

By the way Oleboy I (think) notice you support the blues. I caught that bug myself around 67 . As i said i lived in castlereagh and played for a kids football team run by 2 guys called tom and jack mc'connell i think it was. we played games over in England with other kids teams and visited liverpool regularly

Im still researching lagan village by the way and will move on to research St Patricks in due course. Should either appear further on your radar Id Be MOST OBLIGED to hear

THANKS  AGAIN

olelad

« Reply #553 on: June 19, 2011, 11:14:50 AM »
Olelad and Rose8

much obliged for your kind input. Many many thanks. I left Lagan Village and went to St Patricks Grammar School in Kings road Gilnahirk. This was a pretty new school which I started in 1967 i think . It was a pretty new school because I remember most of the class rooms were portacabins. As i mentioned earlier I am from Castlereagh . My family was put out of there in 73 and we moved to England where I still live but come home regularly (6/7 times a year)

By the way Oleboy I (think) notice you support the blues. I caught that bug myself around 67 . As i said i lived in castlereagh and played for a kids football team run by 2 guys called tom and jack mc'connell i think it was. we played games over in England with other kids teams and visited liverpool regularly

Im still researching lagan village by the way and will move on to research St Patricks in due course. Should either appear further on your radar Id Be MOST OBLIGED to hear

THANKS  AGAIN

keep checking in here m8 as new folk appear all the time.
your bound to know alot of the names mentioned on here who went to st anthonys who were from castlereagh estate ?
john mcguinness, francie rehill, gerry christian, john marks, tony mcloughlin rip, etc
anyone else you remember from the area ?

olelad

« Reply #554 on: July 11, 2011, 11:17:21 AM »
was down pass the old parish yesterday and noticed theres building work going on the chapel grounds. whats happening ?  :scratch_ones_head: