Author Topic: St Theresa´s Primary School/Glen Road.  (Read 7240 times)

bhelena

Re: St Theresa´s Primary School/Glen Road.
« Reply #15 on: January 19, 2012, 03:29:31 PM »
Hi bhelena, my two sisters went to St Teresa's from 63-67 before we moved to Lenadoon. Anne and Catherine Moore, we lived in And town Pk Sth at the time. We used to go to a chippy in Gransha at lunchtime, chips were fantastic.
Hello Mondo yes I went to Gransha too at lunchtime as we lived up the Glen Road beside the CBS and in the cold and wet days we would go there I dont remember the your sisters at all I was in Miss Flynn's Class she lived behind me when I lived in Gartree Place my last teacher was a Mrs Murtagh she was the best ever do you remember the shool borard officer who used to come around the school if you missed too many days or was mitching :D Her Her name was Mrs Brown?did you see the school on TV the other day it looks really run down :(

Mondo

« Reply #16 on: January 19, 2012, 04:08:12 PM »
Hi bhelena, shame about the old school. I remember Mr Mc Gonigal was the Headmaster at that time. ring any bells. Do you remember the Christmas do's in the paroachial hall, were they use to give you a bag of sweets on the way home.

bhelena

« Reply #17 on: January 19, 2012, 04:18:54 PM »
Hi bhelena, shame about the old school. I remember Mr Mc Gonigal was the Headmaster at that time. ring any bells. Do you remember the Christmas do's in the paroachial hall, were they use to give you a bag of sweets on the way home.
I remember Mr mc Gonigal He always remineds me of the late Harry Scombe hope you know who I am talking about I remember when we made our Holy Communion we had a party in the old huts beside the paroachial hall it was great fun back what years were you there ?the boys and girls are now mixed I would have hated that  :( ha ha do you remember any of the the nature walks to the fields and sports day events hated those aswell :D

Mondo

« Reply #18 on: January 19, 2012, 04:34:27 PM »
I was there in 65-66, in Mrs Durkins class. I remember the sports days at Casement Pk. No buses then, we had to walk there and back. I remember one day when we were sent home early because of torrenial rain, when we came out of the front gates of the school I remenber the Glen Rd being like a river.

bhelena

« Reply #19 on: January 19, 2012, 04:52:49 PM »
I was there in 65-66, in Mrs Durkins class. I remember the sports days at Casement Pk. No buses then, we had to walk there and back. I remember one day when we were sent home early because of torrenial rain, when we came out of the front gates of the school I remenber the Glen Rd being like a river.
I left school in 1967 and the only places we got see was the Ulster Hall there was an art event on we walked up and down to it that would not be allowed today todays kids are molly cuddled they will never know what it was like to get the strap or the cane I hated the cane  >:D when we reached the age of 15 many many years ago we went to Whitehead and Carrickfergus Castle well it rained none stop that day I think we all got the flu because of of ha ha it was the worst day ever in my school history then the last day of school came I think I remember it getting built do you know when it was built I do remember the second building going up at the back ???

Mondo

« Reply #20 on: January 19, 2012, 10:12:39 PM »
I can't say I know bhelena. I am sure you will be able to find that info online somewhere. I have very fond and vivid memories of St Teresa's and growing up in Andersonstown in the sixties. I can remember my first day at St Teresa's,as if it was yesterday. The first and only day I was taken to school by my mother. I remember the kid from next door balling his eyes out when his ma left him into the classroom. My class was one of the huts at the back of the main building. The smell of that classroom will be in the nostrils of my memories forever. I don't think it's just a case of rose coloured nostalgia glasses, but there are so many things you look back on that were genuine happy times for kids, proabally the fact that when recieved any sort a treat it was genuinely exciting, as they were usuall few and far between.

bhelena

« Reply #21 on: January 19, 2012, 11:36:10 PM »
I can't say I know bhelena. I am sure you will be able to find that info online somewhere. I have very fond and vivid memories of St Teresa's and growing up in Andersonstown in the sixties. I can remember my first day at St Teresa's,as if it was yesterday. The first and only day I was taken to school by my mother. I remember the kid from next door balling his eyes out when his ma left him into the classroom. My class was one of the huts at the back of the main building. The smell of that classroom will be in the nostrils of my memories forever. I don't think it's just a case of rose coloured nostalgia glasses, but there are so many things you look back on that were genuine happy times for kids, proabally the fact that when recieved any sort a treat it was genuinely exciting, as they were usuall few and far between.
Mondo I remember my first day also I was in the huts aswell at the back of the red bricked school belonging to the girls I think our times were 12 noon until 4pm it seems long hours I know but thats what I remember my first teacher was a Miss Ewing now there were 2 Miss Ewings as they were sisters but my teacher was the younger of the 2 I remember not being able to use the toilets because of rats running around the yard and thats the truth...

Paul McCarthy

« Reply #22 on: March 13, 2012, 09:11:11 PM »
I remember Mr mc Gonigal He always remineds me of the late Harry Scombe hope you know who I am talking about I remember when we made our Holy Communion we had a party in the old huts beside the paroachial hall it was great fun back what years were you there ?the boys and girls are now mixed I would have hated that  :( ha ha do you remember any of the the nature walks to the fields and sports day events hated those aswell :D
I went to St Teresas Boy's from 1959 - 1965, then to CBS. The Principal was Mr McGonigal but we called him Bonzo. Yes I remember being taught in the huts. Our teacher then was Mr Hamilton. He had 3 children called Paul, John and Mary. I remember him making a joke about being a pity there wasn't a pope called Mary as well. My God the weird things you remember from 50 years ago when you can't remember last week! The best teacher we ever had was a Mr McCavera. He went on to be a lecturer at St Mary's. His son Paddy was in our class - funny coincidence Paddy coming first in the class in that Christmas test! I remember looking out of the hut window in 1961 hoping to see John Glenn's rocket going up in the sky over the Divis Mountain - must have looked away and missed it. There was a bulge in the birth rate at that time so the school had a ''dual day'' system. One class would come in 9 - 1, then another class would come in 1 - 4. Remember the milk. Mr Hamilton would send one of us over the road to the shop to buy him a Cadbury's snack. There was Collin's hard ware shop over there too where he'd buy his canes. Anyone could go in and buy a cane for beating their kids. I got my mum to buy me a couple because I liked playing schools and obviously the main equipment you needed was a cane. I went on to become a child protection social worker! Lots more memories if anyone's interested!

bhelena

« Reply #23 on: March 13, 2012, 11:41:38 PM »
I went to St Teresas Boy's from 1959 - 1965, then to CBS. The Principal was Mr McGonigal but we called him Bonzo. Yes I remember being taught in the huts. Our teacher then was Mr Hamilton. He had 3 children called Paul, John and Mary. I remember him making a joke about being a pity there wasn't a pope called Mary as well. My God the weird things you remember from 50 years ago when you can't remember last week! The best teacher we ever had was a Mr McCavera. He went on to be a lecturer at St Mary's. His son Paddy was in our class - funny coincidence Paddy coming first in the class in that Christmas test! I remember looking out of the hut window in 1961 hoping to see John Glenn's rocket going up in the sky over the Divis Mountain - must have looked away and missed it. There was a bulge in the birth rate at that time so the school had a ''dual day'' system. One class would come in 9 - 1, then another class would come in 1 - 4. Remember the milk. Mr Hamilton would send one of us over the road to the shop to buy him a Cadbury's snack. There was Collin's hard ware shop over there too where he'd buy his canes. Anyone could go in and buy a cane for beating their kids. I got my mum to buy me a couple because I liked playing schools and obviously the main equipment you needed was a cane. I went on to become a child protection social worker! Lots more memories if anyone's interested!
Hi Paul thats great bit of history do you remember Mr Conroy from New Zealand we went to his class to be taught about his home country and thinking I would not like to live in a land that had earthquakes I would often think about him if anything is going on in New Zealand also you you remember Miss O'Rielly and Miss Hillen they were the head teacher's in St Teresa's or any of the girls teacher's when I started in 1957  ;) the boys school was the girls back then as we got older and the new school was built we moved into that and the boys got out old classrooms ...

Paul McCarthy

« Reply #24 on: March 14, 2012, 09:37:51 PM »
Hi Paul thats great bit of history do you remember Mr Conroy from New Zealand we went to his class to be taught about his home country and thinking I would not like to live in a land that had earthquakes I would often think about him if anything is going on in New Zealand also you you remember Miss O'Rielly and Miss Hillen they were the head teacher's in St Teresa's or any of the girls teacher's when I started in 1957  ;) the boys school was the girls back then as we got older and the new school was built we moved into that and the boys got out old classrooms ...
Hi BHelena - Yes I do indeed remember Mr Conroy. He was a very modern innovative teacher by the standards of the day. I vividly remember the project on New Zealand - lots of stuff on the walls, models of volcanoes, a lot of stuff about sheep! He used to drive a sort of camper van and that in itself made him quite exotic  as the typical teacher car would have been a Ford Popular or Anglia. And what really set him apart was that he would fill his car with kids and give you a lift when it was raining down the Glen Road. I think he must have lived in Arizona Street because I can remember us being let out there. My sister Miriam was at the girls school. The name Miss Hillen I recall, also Miss Mulholland and Miss Scullion. The new girls school was up and running by the time I started. There was a line across the playground separating the boys and girls that you dare not cross. I remember a boy throwing my hanky over the line and I was afraid to step across and pick it up. I can still see it sitting there on the ground and thinking I've lost that wee hankie for ever. I was a sensitive child - but I sort of grew out of it! Still muss that hanky though. Did you live on the Glen Road? We lived in Divis Drive up near the park. I notice that gate is permanently locked up these days which seems a bit of a shame. I've lived in London for the past 34 years but still get back regular. Good to hear from you. Best wishes. Paul

bhelena

« Reply #25 on: March 14, 2012, 09:56:49 PM »
Hi BHelena - Yes I do indeed remember Mr Conroy. He was a very modern innovative teacher by the standards of the day. I vividly remember the project on New Zealand - lots of stuff on the walls, models of volcanoes, a lot of stuff about sheep! He used to drive a sort of camper van and that in itself made him quite exotic  as the typical teacher car would have been a Ford Popular or Anglia. And what really set him apart was that he would fill his car with kids and give you a lift when it was raining down the Glen Road. I think he must have lived in Arizona Street because I can remember us being let out there. My sister Miriam was at the girls school. The name Miss Hillen I recall, also Miss Mulholland and Miss Scullion. The new girls school was up and running by the time I started. There was a line across the playground separating the boys and girls that you dare not cross. I remember a boy throwing my hanky over the line and I was afraid to step across and pick it up. I can still see it sitting there on the ground and thinking I've lost that wee hankie for ever. I was a sensitive child - but I sort of grew out of it! Still muss that hanky though. Did you live on the Glen Road? We lived in Divis Drive up near the park. I notice that gate is permanently locked up these days which seems a bit of a shame. I've lived in London for the past 34 years but still get back regular. Good to hear from you. Best wishes. Paul
Hi Paul I lived up the Glen Road in Gartree Place you know I dont know where they got that name from the only other Gartree I have ever heard of is Gartree Prison in Scotland :D The name Miss Mulholland I think I remember?would you have known Brenda Timmins she lived in Norfolk Drive/Parade and the bottom of the Glen Road we were best friends in school until about 1965 I am not sure after that what happened to her I never saw her again...I left Belfast in 73 to come here to Dublin as I say I am only down the Road ;) I was in London in 72 stayed in High Wycomb(spelling) Paul a name has just come to me Miss McNamara she was a small lady with a limp but very good to all the kids in the girls school I remember her the old girls school but not in the new school God Bless.Lena

JEANJEANNIE

« Reply #26 on: March 14, 2012, 11:49:24 PM »
Bhelena...Most of the streets in Andytown are named after places in Antrim and the bordering counties. Gartree is near Crumlin, the name is from the Irish An Gort Riabhach ...the grey or striped field. Benraw is in Drumgooland. Co. Down from the Irish Beann Ráithe,,,Peak of the Fort. Commedagh, Shanlieve, Bearnagh etc. are in the Mourne Mountains. Other street names in West Belfast are from the Irish ...eg...Lenadoon from Léana an Dúin (Meadow of the Fort) There is a Lenadoon Point in Co. Sligo.
Many Loyalist areas have Irish street names....Shankill.."the Old Church,"Rathcoole.."Corner of the Ring Fort" etc. etc.

bhelena

« Reply #27 on: March 15, 2012, 01:29:23 AM »
Bhelena...Most of the streets in Andytown are named after places in Antrim and the bordering counties. Gartree is near Crumlin, the name is from the Irish An Gort Riabhach ...the grey or striped field. Benraw is in Drumgooland. Co. Down from the Irish Beann Ráithe,,,Peak of the Fort. Commedagh, Shanlieve, Bearnagh etc. are in the Mourne Mountains. Other street names in West Belfast are from the Irish ...eg...Lenadoon from Léana an Dúin (Meadow of the Fort) There is a Lenadoon Point in Co. Sligo.
Many Loyalist areas have Irish street names....Shankill.."the Old Church,"Rathcoole.."Corner of the Ring Fort" etc. etc.
JeanJeannie,thankyou for that the only thing knew was that Shanlieve was something to do with the Mournes and I must look up Gartree on Google and thankyou for putting up all the Irish names  ;)

Mondo

« Reply #28 on: March 16, 2012, 11:31:25 PM »
Hi Desmond, I have a lot of vivid memories of that time, even though it was a long time back. Do you remember battle cards, monster cards, batman cards etc. we used to play for the cards at St Theresa's in the playground, by throwing them against the wall. There was always some kid with a stack of cards the size of himself. Bhelena you must remember the smell of the Bass brewery in the summer, I think it was the hops they used that created that distinct smell. Do any of you remember the reading books. Never forget Blue Book 1 and the first words of that book. "Plop plop plop, went the strawberry jam", a story about some old woman making jam. Searching through my memory banks, will post again soon. Happy St Patricks Day, the celebrations will kick in about 6.45pm tomorrow, after we have put England to the sword in the rugby!

cannon

« Reply #29 on: March 16, 2012, 11:49:10 PM »
My last place of work in Belfast was at St Theresa's Primary School 1963.  I worked for the builder,P F Mc Donnell, on a new section to the school.  I then went to Australia  Oct. 1963 and am still in Oz.     cannon