Author Topic: St Theresa´s Primary School/Glen Road.  (Read 7239 times)

bhelena

Re: St Theresa´s Primary School/Glen Road.
« Reply #30 on: March 17, 2012, 06:36:11 PM »
My last place of work in Belfast was at St Theresa's Primary School 1963.  I worked for the builder,P F Mc Donnell, on a new section to the school.  I then went to Australia  Oct. 1963 and am still in Oz.     cannon
Hello cannon was that at the back of the school next to the Boys school I think that was the new building we went into at that time the school is now mixed the Boys are with the Girls now  ??? .

cannon

« Reply #31 on: March 18, 2012, 03:56:44 AM »
Hi bhelena,from memory I think it was to the left side as you went in the front gate. One thing I do remember on my last day working there,  was a carpenter/joiner losing a couple fingers while working on a table saw.       cannon

bhelena

« Reply #32 on: March 18, 2012, 01:02:46 PM »
Hi bhelena,from memory I think it was to the left side as you went in the front gate. One thing I do remember on my last day working there,  was a carpenter/joiner losing a couple fingers while working on a table saw.       cannon
What a thing to happen on your last day    cannon did you have a sister in St Teresa's in the mid 60s there was a girl called Alexas now the spelling is wrong but if it was a member of your family you will know who I mean I hope  ???

cannon

« Reply #33 on: March 19, 2012, 05:36:55 AM »
What a thing to happen on your last day    cannon did you have a sister in St Teresa's in the mid 60s there was a girl called Alexas now the spelling is wrong but if it was a member of your family you will know who I mean I hope  ???
No, sorry bhelena.  We lived down the road (Lower Clonard Street). :)  cannon

bhelena

« Reply #34 on: March 19, 2012, 01:52:14 PM »
No, sorry bhelena.  We lived down the road (Lower Clonard Street). :)  cannon
cannon did you know the O'Neils from Clonard Street the twins were called John and Maureen and Maureen was in my class and then they moved to Larne in the mid 60s she said she would keep in contact but never did but I went to live in Larne myself in 68 stated to work there and who did I work beside only Maureen and she really had come out of her shell by then they lived in no 12 I think in Clonard Street would you have been living there then  ;)

cannon

« Reply #35 on: March 20, 2012, 11:32:42 AM »
cannon did you know the O'Neils from Clonard Street the twins were called John and Maureen and Maureen was in my class and then they moved to Larne in the mid 60s she said she would keep in contact but never did but I went to live in Larne myself in 68 stated to work there and who did I work beside only Maureen and she really had come out of her shell by then they lived in no 12 I think in Clonard Street would you have been living there then  ;)
No bhelena don't recall the O'Neills from Clonard Street, but then,as I said before,I left Belfast in 1963 and I lived on the opposite side of the Falls Road.
                                               cannon :)

Desmond Harris

« Reply #36 on: March 21, 2012, 09:30:22 PM »
Hi Desmond, I have a lot of vivid memories of that time, even though it was a long time back. Do you remember battle cards, monster cards, batman cards etc. we used to play for the cards at St Theresa's in the playground, by throwing them against the wall. There was always some kid with a stack of cards the size of himself. Bhelena you must remember the smell of the Bass brewery in the summer, I think it was the hops they used that created that distinct smell. Do any of you remember the reading books. Never forget Blue Book 1 and the first words of that book. "Plop plop plop, went the strawberry jam", a story about some old woman making jam. Searching through my memory banks, will post again soon. Happy St Patricks Day, the celebrations will kick in about 6.45pm tomorrow, after we have put England to the sword in the rugby!
Now the memories flood back! I can still smell the sent of chewing gum that went with the cards. I never was able to get enough dosh to buy them , and I was always astonish at the vast bundles some kids had. We used to play around the old empty fermenting vats that were in the field behind the Brewery , they had an open hatch of some kind , and you could crawl in. I think thats were I got clostaphobia. The conker trees that lined the driveway up to the St Marys Grammer School that was being built , always gave a rich texture of a wild wood as we made our way up to the Springfield Road , to get up past the White Cliffs , and up to the left of them , on to a wee sheep track and then the long hard climb to the sumit of the Black Mountian.
I remember the manhunt for the poor mad fellah who stabbed to death his brother in Corby Way , the serch went all around the primary School , cops every were! To this day I still can see the dead brother , laying at the door way covered in wounds. We live just across the street in Bingnian Drive and I was playing on that Sunday with a few kids when we heard the people gather around. Very hard , still hunts me that image.
Me and and my brother and the kid next door , Donald Malloy where the first in to St Tereasas after the Army left , or half left. It was weird. Around the back of the old school bolck they had turned the huts in to their Mess. It still had cuttlery on the tables . Army gear still every were .

toon army

« Reply #37 on: May 05, 2012, 04:40:50 PM »
hi cannon I went to st Theresas from 1962 to 66,i rember very well the day the builder lost his fingers .I was in mr Kellys class sat by the window, you could see something was wrong cause all the builders were running about.I actually seen one of the workers wrapping the poor mans fingers in bread paper.Ive often wondered if he got them sewn back on?

cannon

« Reply #38 on: May 06, 2012, 07:19:53 AM »
hi cannon I went to st Theresas from 1962 to 66,i rember very well the day the builder lost his fingers .I was in mr Kellys class sat by the window, you could see something was wrong cause all the builders were running about.I actually seen one of the workers wrapping the poor mans fingers in bread paper.Ive often wondered if he got them sewn back on?
Hi Toon,I wasn't  sure  whether I covered them up or put them in paper as I didn't want any of the kids to see them.   I had just been on my way out for my lunch, needless to say I didn't enjoy it as much as usual.   Don't know what happened after that, as it was my last day working there.
                              Cannon

Frankie Mckeown

« Reply #39 on: July 02, 2019, 01:10:38 AM »
Hi all, I have a picture off of my classmates, can I attach a picture on this forum, I attended the school from 63/64 onwards.