Author Topic: St Patrick's Barnageeha, Antrim Road  (Read 301141 times)

brown hen

Re: St Patrick's Barnageeha, Antrim Road
« Reply #15 on: August 25, 2007, 12:41:49 AM »
went there in 69 and into the 70s it was a rough ride at first but i was lucky in i had great group of class mates around me

arthurc

« Reply #16 on: August 26, 2007, 06:36:00 PM »
arthur gorman went to barney between 1970 to 1978, crackin school with good memories of other pupils and teachers  particularly wee Dock, eddie ferguson, gerry konrade, seamus hanraddy, stephen dillon

brown hen

« Reply #17 on: August 26, 2007, 09:56:04 PM »
hi art see you went onto the forum will talk to you during the week about the old days

Mageeka

« Reply #18 on: August 27, 2007, 03:16:50 AM »
Hi guys Do you remember Gerry and Davy Rice in Barney ?

maggiemay

« Reply #19 on: August 27, 2007, 02:58:53 PM »
Hi
I was at the 25th year celebration of Barney being opened.It was in the Waterfront Hall.What a great night it was.Mary MaAleese and her husband were,she spoke on stage.She and her husband only stayed for the first half.Jimmy Cricket was hilarious!!!!Fantactic night
Maggiemay

brown hen

« Reply #20 on: August 27, 2007, 10:07:53 PM »
i would have liked to have been there

ironbed

« Reply #21 on: August 28, 2007, 12:44:38 AM »
I went to Barney between 1965 and 1970.  You guys have  rosy memories of the teachers there.  Wee Harry Enwright was an arrogant [censored] and the rest of the teachers were sadistic [censored].

Were none of you ever strapped?  It sounds like none of you even saw them whip their thick leather straps from back pockets and whack a pupil  on the fingertips for arriving late.  It happened to me countless times.  It was the twentieth century [censored].  Children should not have had to endure physical abuse from ignorant evil little Hitlers.

Jimmy Cricket [censored], gimme a break.  No wonder McAlesse left early.

A broken leg is funnier.
I'm not afraid of dying, I just don't want to be there when it happens.

Mageeka

« Reply #22 on: August 28, 2007, 04:22:33 AM »
Ironbed
I was strapped on my first day at Barney
Guess what for ????
For pronouncing words with a West Belfast accent.    I kid you not !

I received the strap fro Willy John Steele (Principal) while he was giving me an induction lecture 

ironbed

« Reply #23 on: August 29, 2007, 11:35:07 PM »
Ironbed
Guess what for ????

I received the strap fro Willy John Steele (Principal) while he was giving me an induction lecture 

Mageeka, that's exactly what I mean.  The teachers thought they were above us socially, intelectually and economically.  I remember one particulair teacher who taught Surveying ( well, it involved throwing a long segemted chain and ordered someone to go stand at the end of it and hold up a pole ).  Back in class he started picking on a pupil who had probably [censored] him off and said,  "Well I suppose when you get out of the bath you leave a big ring of back street sum".  Young as I was, I felt that this disgusting retort insulted everyone in the room.  [censored].

My two best subjects while at Barney were English and Art but never once was I encouraged to pursue these strong areas.

Willy John Steele was such an elitist that he banned all GAA sports from Barney.

Maybe it was too low brow for him?

Sorry to sound like Frank McCourt.   .but yes, I am still [censored] off at my experiences at Barney School.  And always will be.

Mageeka

« Reply #24 on: August 29, 2007, 11:47:24 PM »
I can tell you of the mans background Ironbed, but you may already know
I you need it  I will P M you
M

ironbed

« Reply #25 on: August 30, 2007, 12:08:29 AM »
Mageeka, I know all about Willie John Steele's background and his brother's as well.  But that is not why I dislike my time at Barney.

All the teachers had the same attitude toward us pupils.  They just thought they were better than us and our upbringing despite the fact they all probably came from the same social, economical background. They were nothing more than High School Teachers.  One of the lowest paying jobs, then and now.

Scumbags the lot of them.

If I knew then what I know now.   ..

Mageeka

« Reply #26 on: August 30, 2007, 12:22:25 AM »
I B
Check your Pms

Gerd

« Reply #27 on: September 01, 2007, 11:00:55 AM »
You were right there Ironbed.    I was at the Waterfront that night and saw Jimmy Cricket !!!!   Funny for about 5 minutes but he kept on and on for about 25mins.

That type of humour went out with the 70's !!!    Fair play to him though, he came over and attended which was good.    Great night.

Gerd
If you cant say anything nice then dont say anything !

prester

« Reply #28 on: September 01, 2007, 11:03:56 AM »
Mageeka, I know all about Willie John Steele's background and his brother's as well.  But that is not why I dislike my time at Barney.

All the teachers had the same attitude toward us pupils.  They just thought they were better than us and our upbringing despite the fact they all probably came from the same social, economical background. They were nothing more than High School Teachers.  One of the lowest paying jobs, then and now.

Scumbags the lot of them.

If I knew then what I know now.   ..they were. .
this world is but a narrow bridge,this bridge we all must cross.
so when you cross this narrow bridge be careful  how you walk.

grendelkiller

« Reply #29 on: September 01, 2007, 11:32:34 AM »
Ironbed
Guess what for ????

Mageeka what about all those windowless buses going up and down the antrim road from barney every day   :-[  a good kicking never mind a strapping for mindless thugs
Grendel is dead.