Author Topic: St Patrick's Barnageeha, Antrim Road  (Read 301197 times)

sj

Re: St Patrick's Barnageeha, Antrim Road
« Reply #2265 on: August 16, 2018, 04:39:18 AM »
hey sweeny you and sj must have been among the first intake as the school first opened in 55 ;)

We were indeed but I don't think that we were ever in the same class....I could be wrong.    I remember that day well.  It wasn't raining????
Had a great experience at St Patrick's for all of my time there.  Academic and sports wise.  I can still remember that day when the school got to their 1st soccer final and found that they were up against a team that included George Best, Mc Mordie, Briggs who all I think went to Man Utd and one other whom I can't recall.  Marvin Blake was tasked to mark Best all over the pitch and Marvin was an extremely talented football player and athlete HIMSELF.
He and I played for the Ireland youth basketball team in Cork  against Wales and England.   We won that  tournament.
Where has the time gone Hugh as it almost 63 years ago this September.I don't see the death notices in the Belfast newspapers being in Australia so would be grateful if someone could lkeep us up to date.
I endorse your views about Gerry Mc Cormack Hugh as I found him to be a great guy.  I never knew what I wanted to do in life when I was at St Patrick's as teaching never appealed to me.   I think it is a pity that his daughter doesn't visit this thread.  We could ask for his memories.?????
Are you going to Knock???
Sam.

I'm patient with stupidity but not with those who are proud of it ...

sweenytodd

« Reply #2266 on: August 16, 2018, 09:29:50 AM »
Good to see you are still going strong Sam we are just back from our usual summer in Spain. Did not see Joe their this year Going down to Glenariff 18 th for another little break Visit uncles aunt and cousins Unfortunately The Queen would not be able to stand or walk far enough for the Papal visit.Though as I say he did not come to visit me why should I visit him (my ayttempt at a Joke) talk soon

brendain122

« Reply #2267 on: August 17, 2018, 02:25:26 AM »
I attended the school in the 1970s. Sadly overseen by a poor school principal Mr Steele in charge of a school of pupils from working class often very poor backgrounds, whilst he was a stuck up snob. He who was full of himself remained aloof from the general school life of the pupils and teachers and remained ensconced in his Tieve Tara Office. Allowed a curriculum which did not include the teaching of Irish or the playing of Gaelic games. Allowed day and daily 1100 boys to roam around the school grounds without supervision during breaks and lunch hours with usually 'two' teachers on duty placed on the front and back gates - major health and safety and children protection issues. Discontinued the wearing of school uniforms and allowed children to turn dressed like vicious gang members, aggressive bullies,  wearing studded belts, trousers and denims up to their knees.  Allowed and encouraged teachers to to use the strap to beat and inflict vicious pain on children and to take out likes and dislikes on children.

sj

« Reply #2268 on: August 17, 2018, 04:52:14 AM »
Good to see you are still going strong Sam we are just back from our usual summer in Spain. Did not see Joe their this year Going down to Glenariff 18 th for another little break Visit uncles aunt and cousins Unfortunately The Queen would not be able to stand or walk far enough for the Papal visit.Though as I say he did not come to visit me why should I visit him (my ayttempt at a Joke) talk soon

Hrllo Hugh,

Is that Glenariff in Co Antrim.     I can remember your families going to the coast road house for years.  Hopefully Joe will turn up next year.  Is your uncle Sammy still with us ...the uncle who moved to Dublin. :)

tours

« Reply #2269 on: August 17, 2018, 05:33:18 AM »
I attended the school in the 1970s. Sadly overseen by a poor school principal Mr Steele in charge of a school of pupils from working class often very poor backgrounds, whilst he was a stuck up snob. He who was full of himself remained aloof from the general school life of the pupils and teachers and remained ensconced in his Tieve Tara Office. Allowed a curriculum which did not include the teaching of Irish or the playing of Gaelic games. Allowed day and daily 1100 boys to roam around the school grounds without supervision during breaks and lunch hours with usually 'two' teachers on duty placed on the front and back gates - major health and safety and children protection issues. Discontinued the wearing of school uniforms and allowed children to turn dressed like vicious gang members, aggressive bullies,  wearing studded belts, trousers and denims up to their knees.  Allowed and encouraged teachers to to use the strap to beat and inflict vicious pain on children and to take out likes and dislikes on children.
I agree....Some of the teachers where sadistic towards kids, many of us already experiencing trauma because of the War around Our homes.
These teachers didn't fear any repercussions, as Stelle was insulated away in his office.
God forgive the brutes. 😠

sweenytodd

« Reply #2270 on: August 17, 2018, 05:42:51 PM »
Ye Sam Glenariff Co Antrim that is where i was Born so still think it is the nicest place in the world  my grandad used to play in the Celi band there in his day So have a lot off feeling for the place, Think if hadn't moved South would be living up there now. Sadly My uncle Sam passed away a long time ago probably about 19 years his eldest Baughter Patrica passed away 2 years ago all that is left from my Mothers family are Joe Eddie Josephine and Anne all getting old like the rest off us

sj

« Reply #2271 on: September 27, 2018, 08:11:57 AM »
 It would be a pity if this thread disappeared.  The school is now finished and exists under another name.       I hope to be able to continue posting but heard recently that the Star of the Sea primary school, Hallidays Rd , is to make a come back someplace around the New Lodge Rd.  Is that correct as there arn't many houses in the area now.     
Barnageeha is part of Trinity College but is still in a  separate site.  All the old buildings are still there.    Have you any memories.  If Mr Mc Cormick's daughter is still receiving e-mail could she let us know if he has any memories or remembers the early days.  ( 1950 ) :)

sj

« Reply #2272 on: September 27, 2018, 08:13:50 AM »
It would be a pity if this thread disappeared.  The school is now finished and exists under another name.       I hope to be able to continue posting but heard recently that the Star of the Sea primary school, Hallidays Rd , is to make a come back someplace around the New Lodge Rd.  Is that correct as there arn't many houses in the area now.     
Barnageeha is part of Trinity College but is still in a  separate site.  All the old buildings are still there.    Have you any memories.  If Mr Mc Cormick's daughter is still receiving e-mail could she let us know if he has any memories or remembers the early days.  ( 1950 ) :)
I don't think that I posted the reply :)

sj

« Reply #2273 on: December 05, 2018, 03:07:09 AM »
For those who were at the school in the early years   .I met the 1st Head prefect two weeks ago near the Gold Coast outside Brisbane.     We met by accident thirty years ago and several times after that but not in the past twenty years.  It was a pleasnt but short experience to meet him again.    He went to Holy Family school and for those interested his name is Brendan Murphy. :)

sweenytodd

« Reply #2274 on: December 05, 2018, 04:47:18 PM »
Hi  Sam seems as if we are the only ones around.I was Prefect from first year i started and should know Brendan Murphy as you know i went to Holy Family as well. I find there are certain times off my life i can recall with great affection others not quite as well, Think it is an age thing Hope you are keeping well and getting ready for Christmas. The Book launch went very well and it is selling great Think it Might  make the top ten for Christmas Fingers crossed.Happy Christmas Sam and off course your Family

sj

« Reply #2275 on: December 06, 2018, 05:01:35 AM »
Hugh if you a gentleman you would send all your friends a free signed copy.??  I was a prefect in my second year and deputy head prefect in 4a.  Seemingly it wasn't important enough for me to remember much about the position. However I do remember a couple of school things with fond memories.  One was being capt of the school basketball team and the other was watching Marvin Blake mark George Best all over the pitch in an under 14 football final.   It was a great game.    Hope that you and anyone else who reads this thread has a peaceful and happy Christmas.  We will have 27 young and older people at our apartment this year.....what about you??

Dub

« Reply #2276 on: December 06, 2018, 12:18:30 PM »
Sam, "Happy Christmas" to you, Kathleen and all the rest of your family.
Have a "Good One".
                           All the best, Dub.
If you don't read the papers you are not informed.
If you do read the papers you are misinformed.( Mark Twain.)

sweenytodd

« Reply #2277 on: December 06, 2018, 05:26:20 PM »
Sam Just the family and probably 2 off the in laws about a dozen altogether we have dinner about 5 o clock everybody leaves about 10. We now have a zero tolerance on drink and drive as it should be so everyone likes to get back home. Always one off the best days off the year its all about the kids.

sj

« Reply #2278 on: December 09, 2018, 03:01:27 AM »
Alex

Happy Christmas to all and to everyone on the forum.  :)