Author Topic: Site of old Chlorane Bar, Gresham Street  (Read 6770 times)

Jeanne Boleyn

Site of old Chlorane Bar, Gresham Street
« on: December 19, 2011, 09:24:53 AM »
Would anybody happen to know where exactly the Chlorane Bar stood in Gresham Street and its exact address? The Chlorane was blown up in June 1976, ten days after a gun attack in which five people lost their lives.
Thank you.

St.Anthony

Re: Site of old Chlorane Bar, Gresham Street
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2011, 11:35:37 AM »
Would anybody happen to know where exactly the Chlorane Bar stood in Gresham Street and its exact address? The Chlorane was blown up in June 1976, ten days after a gun attack in which five people lost their lives.
Thank you.

Jeanne, the Chlorane was at No.23 Gresham Street directly opposite the old Sean Graham's Bookies, which is still there.

Jeanne Boleyn

« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2011, 01:24:55 PM »
Thank you ever so much!. Would you happen to know what is in its place now?

St.Anthony

« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2011, 02:44:05 PM »
Thank you ever so much!. Would you happen to know what is in its place now?

Nothing was ever rebuilt on the site.  It is currently part of a large car park.

sean d

« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2011, 11:50:51 PM »
First bar i ever had a drink in. :(
live everyday as your last, because some day it will be :)

Jeanne Boleyn

« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2011, 07:53:02 AM »
That attack was such a tragedy...nobody was ever charged with the shootings. Why was the pub blown up and by whom? The Venus Tattoo Studio at number 25 Gresham Street has a brick wall which I presume is part of the Chlorane Bar seeing as it was a terrace.

St.Anthony

« Reply #6 on: December 20, 2011, 02:27:41 PM »
That attack was such a tragedy...nobody was ever charged with the shootings. Why was the pub blown up and by whom? The Venus Tattoo Studio at number 25 Gresham Street has a brick wall which I presume is part of the Chlorane Bar seeing as it was a terrace.

Actually there was a gateway next door 23a which was owned by Andrews Motor Cycles.  We used to go in when we were kids to see all kinds of motor bikes. I remember scooters and hondas

Jeanne Boleyn

« Reply #7 on: December 21, 2011, 09:22:24 AM »
The motorcycle shop at number 23a would have been next door to the building that is now Gresham Tapes, I presume? Would anyone happen to remember what was on the other side of the Chlorane Bar? Wasn't Gresham Street a one-way street? By the way, I greatly appreciate all of the answers!

St.Anthony

« Reply #8 on: December 21, 2011, 10:07:51 AM »
The motorcycle shop at number 23a would have been next door to the building that is now Gresham Tapes, I presume? Would anyone happen to remember what was on the other side of the Chlorane Bar? Wasn't Gresham Street a one-way street? By the way, I greatly appreciate all of the answers!

Andrews motor bike showroom.  I should have a photogragh.  I think it is already on "who do you know from Smithfield thread"

St.Anthony

« Reply #9 on: December 21, 2011, 12:27:46 PM »

Found it at last

JEANJEANNIE

« Reply #10 on: December 21, 2011, 11:52:34 PM »
The Chlorane Bar was frequented by both Catholic and Protestants a lot of postmen drank there after work, punters from the nearby bookmakers were among the best customers. Owner Jim Coyle who had also owned the Spanish Rooms was among the victims. The main gunman was Basher Bates, one of the Shankill Butchers. The pub was picked because it was a couple of minutes drive from the Brown Bear on the Shankill Road which was the meeting place of the Lenny Murphy gang who were reknown for not travelling far from the bar in search of victims.

doare.

« Reply #11 on: December 22, 2011, 09:52:42 AM »
the owner was shot also,( he was a tough republican gunman i dont think), he made great sandwiches when he owned the "scrumpy house" the cops a couple of shops down in hastings st lined up everyday to get them. he was one togh bartender , tolerated no nonsense swearing etc, watched him throw out quite few lol.there was a sex shop close to it i believe, the one with the black painted windows ..lol.
"You see things; you say, 'Why?' But I dream things that never were; and I say 'Why not? ....shaw..

St.Anthony

« Reply #12 on: December 22, 2011, 06:31:02 PM »
Doare, there are about 4 or 5 of those black painted shops in the area now.

St.Anthony

« Reply #13 on: December 22, 2011, 06:32:56 PM »

All these buildings have been cleared and are now part of a car park that stretches back to Winetavern street opposite Samuel Street.

doare.

« Reply #14 on: December 22, 2011, 06:51:21 PM »
Doare, there are about 4 or 5 of those black painted shops in the area now.
maybe that area will become the new amelia st  lol. they have them here in the open ye can walk in and browse see if there is anything ye fancy, just like any other shops belfast is still very conservative,i wont know the place next time i get over .. lol
"You see things; you say, 'Why?' But I dream things that never were; and I say 'Why not? ....shaw..