Author Topic: old park road  (Read 26652 times)

Ulster1922

Re: old park road
« Reply #15 on: January 10, 2012, 06:11:18 AM »
Hi Barry, go to this thread & you will find out what you wanted to know about the Mourne Clothing store.... ;) ;) ...Billy

http://www.belfastforum.co.uk/index.php/topic,11600.0.html
No matter where I roam, Belfast will always be my home.

tboy

« Reply #16 on: January 10, 2012, 01:16:24 PM »

You might have known Jackie Holmes or Linda Kirkpatrick. Ilived in Wallasey Park until 1968 and hung around with those two and many others for years.
  yes toadstool, I remember them well, I was thinking about Linda just  a few days ago and for some reason wondering what age her mother would be now.  :)

barry

« Reply #17 on: January 11, 2012, 01:06:34 AM »
Hi Barry, go to this thread & you will find out what you wanted to know about the Mourne Clothing store.... ;) ;) ...Billy

http://www.belfastforum.co.uk/index.php/topic,11600.0.html

Thanks  Billy,   :drinks: I  know  where  it  was  now,  had  forgotten  all  about  that  wee  Street.
THAT'S  THE  WAY  I  SEE  IT, THAT'S  THE  WAY I  TELL  IT.

jmac

« Reply #18 on: January 11, 2012, 01:37:12 AM »
I think the Mourne Clothing was in Ardoyne avenue  ... just facing  Heathfield Rd
Illegitimi Non Carborundum.

Ubique

barry

« Reply #19 on: January 11, 2012, 01:47:55 AM »
I think the Mourne Clothing was in Ardoyne avenue  ... just facing  Heathfield Rd

Yeah  jmac,  on  the  other  post  it  was  referred  to  as  Ardoyne  Terrace,  but  I  remember  it
as  Ardoyne  Ave   :drinks:

andy

« Reply #20 on: January 13, 2012, 08:51:37 PM »
Good day to you Barry would you remember The Mourne Clothing Company off the Oldpark Road in the late 60s I worked there but dont remember the name of the street it was in thanks  :-*
hi bhelena,  i worked in the cutting room and ended up the cutting manager, benie easton
 was production manageress fred mackoneky was the factory manager before he became a
 director, i remember a mr penny who was factory manager, i was also the shop steward for
 the tailor and garment workers union  maby you remember me bill anderson
yy u r yy u b i c u r yy 4 me

toadstool999

« Reply #21 on: January 13, 2012, 10:59:57 PM »
  yes toadstool, I remember them well, I was thinking about Linda just  a few days ago and for some reason wondering what age her mother would be now.  :)

We probably had circles of friends that overlapped. My crowd was mostly from further up from Cliftodene, but I remember snogging with Linda under a lamp in Cliftondene Cresc.  We hung around Holy Trinity badminton club and Freddy's chippy, The Glen, a lot and it was all very innocent (compared to today's lifestyles!) , but I wouldn't change any of it.
I recently reconnected with some of my old crowd on Friends Reunited and it was great reminiscing with them.
Artificial Intelligence is no match for Natural Stupidity

tboy

« Reply #22 on: January 14, 2012, 08:30:15 PM »
'snogging with Linda' and I thought you were one of them beauties from the Girls Model  :D

SANDRAM

« Reply #23 on: May 06, 2012, 03:20:14 PM »
Hi tboy,

Just reading this post and noticed that you lived in Cliftondene probably around the same time that I lived in Alliance Drive.  I used to take a shortcut through Cliftondene to get to school and later on to catch the bus into town etc.  A few names that I remember from those who lived in Cliftondene - Harry Love, the Wilson twins (Alan & Desmond) Billy Stewart, Terry Holmes.  Also, the Crawford family who lived at the top end of Deerpark Road opposite Prices Farm - Eric,John & Margaret.  I went to the Girls Model and after school I  used to work in the wee sweet shop on the corner of the Westland Road which was owned by a Mrs. Moore.  I knew a lot of the local teenagers as they used to come into the shop - maybe you were one of them!!  Cheers!

Sandram

tboy

« Reply #24 on: May 06, 2012, 09:01:54 PM »
Hello Sandram, yes a few names there, Terry Holmes, Harry Love, :) That wee shop was always painted green in my memory it was next door to Albert Smith's 'empire' but most of us would go into your shop     because of you :)

billh35

« Reply #25 on: May 12, 2012, 10:59:11 AM »
I just have to look at one thread on here and I am transported back to my childhood. I grew up on the Upper Oldpark and lived in Deerpark. We used to get told off for using a short cut through the back gardens in Deerpark Drive into Cliftondene!

As for Freddy and the Glen chippy! Well Saturday evenings were a chicken supper from Freddy and his delightful wife and rushing home to watch Doctor Who take on the daleks! Later I would be a paper boy for Beattie's. Saturday mornings would see my uncle Billy appear with fresh baps from O'Haras near The Glen chippy..I can almost taste them now.

SandraM - All those names are familiar to me - I think I am much younger than you but I am sure my elder sisters know them all. Personally I remember Mr & Mrs Crawford - she was a delightful old lady whose house overlooked the entrance to Ballysillan Playing Fields on Deerpark Road and I remember she always used to say hello and ask how I was as I walked our little dog.

And as for Albert's it always seemed we were buying blocks of ice cream there on a Sunday with wafers to make "sliders" for after lunch and we always got our papers from the man in the chemist doorway.

SANDRAM

« Reply #26 on: May 12, 2012, 01:34:46 PM »
tboy,

I remember when 'Albert Smith' opened his shop next door to our corner shop.  It was so big and modern compared with the one that I worked in but we had some very loyal customers!!  I had a photo send to me a few years ago and that shop was operating as a 'Bookies' !!.  Did you know Albert Carson the butchers son?  Harry Love was one of my first 'loves' - I wonder where he is now!!  Do you still live in N.I.?  A lot of our group used to attend the Oldpark Presbyterian Church Youth Group etc.  Rev. Dunlop and his son Allister - remember them?
cheers!
Sandram

SANDRAM

« Reply #27 on: May 12, 2012, 01:46:34 PM »
billh35,

Thanks for your reply.  Much younger!! if you are 35 then you are indeed much younger! ha! ha!  What are the names of your sisters maybe I would know them.  did they attend the Girls Model School?  It was a lovely area to grown up in and getting around was not a problem with such a good bus service.  Good memories of walking through the estate to catch the bus to work everyday - life was a lot slower then. Not many of us had home phones and certainly not mobile phones and yet we managed to stay in touch and keep our appointments and dates without too many drama's !!  Did you frequent 'Diamond's Pub'.  It was my parents Saturday night hangout back in the late 50's early 60's before we left for Australia.  Enjoy the forum!

Sandram  :)

tboy

« Reply #28 on: May 12, 2012, 10:57:56 PM »
sandram, yes Diamonds pub' The Horse shoe bar' was the focal point for all classes at that time :) is it me or do I think that people were just nicer then?   don't be thinking that I'm not a Belfast hardcase :D

barry

« Reply #29 on: May 13, 2012, 12:34:21 AM »

A   Toast   to   Rusty    :drinks:     R.I.P  -------
                         gone,    but  not  forgotten   ---------- :drinks: