Author Topic: old park road  (Read 26233 times)

allymac

Re: old park road
« Reply #30 on: May 14, 2012, 01:29:50 PM »
sandram, yes Diamonds pub' The Horse shoe bar' was the focal point for all classes at that time :) is it me or do I think that people were just nicer then?   don't be thinking that I'm not a Belfast hardcase :D
I was in the Horseshoe the day it was blown up,but at least we got a warning and nobody was harmed.A nice bar in its day.
Support all our servicemen and women either at home or abroad.

toadstool999

« Reply #31 on: May 14, 2012, 02:03:07 PM »
'snogging with Linda' and I thought you were one of them beauties from the Girls Model  :D

No. I was at the Boys' Model for a couple of years though.
Artificial Intelligence is no match for Natural Stupidity

tboy

« Reply #32 on: May 14, 2012, 06:51:13 PM »
I was in the Horseshoe the day it was blown up,but at least we got a warning and nobody was harmed.A nice bar in its day.
sorry darling , it was not 'blown-up' but burned out by bigots ;) whats the chances of this post appearing :D

allymac

« Reply #33 on: May 15, 2012, 07:14:25 PM »
sorry darling , it was not 'blown-up' but burned out by bigots ;) whats the chances of this post appearing :D
It was blown up by the ira in the 1970's.I was there and saw it happening.Where were you?

formby34

« Reply #34 on: May 15, 2012, 07:55:55 PM »
Hi everyone i lived on oldpark road for years at the top end near Girls Model school.

allymac

« Reply #35 on: May 15, 2012, 08:08:19 PM »
Saturday 26/2/1972.

toadstool999

« Reply #36 on: May 15, 2012, 08:21:48 PM »
Hi everyone i lived on oldpark road for years at the top end near Girls Model school.

Did you live in Formby Park?  I lived in Wallasey Park.
Artificial Intelligence is no match for Natural Stupidity

billh35

« Reply #37 on: May 15, 2012, 10:22:13 PM »
tboy - The Horseshoe was blown up. I was between Deerpark Drive and Cliftondene and watched it go up. The whole roof lifted off about 5 feet in the air and then collapsed back down again!

SANDRAM

« Reply #38 on: May 16, 2012, 02:49:22 PM »
Hi Billh35,

I visited 'Diamonds' back in 1995 my first trip home in 27 years and even though it had been completely modified I couldn't believe when I spoke to a few of their customers on the day that one of them was an old bloke who used to drink regularly with my Dad before he left to come to Australia.  The staff although they did not know my Dad personally gave me a drink tray and bar cloth as a momento from Diamonds to give to him. We Irish are very sentimental and generous - don't you think!!!  Hope the pub is still standing!!

Sandram

SANDRAM

« Reply #39 on: May 16, 2012, 03:05:28 PM »
Hi Formby34,

Welcome!!  Did you attend Carr's Glen Primary School ?  It was a great school and still going strong I believe.  I loved the 'school dinners'  especially when it was your turn to be in the 'second sitting group'.  This gave you a good chance of having an exta helping of sweets as it was the last sitting for the day and they wanted to clear out all the trays!! Mr. Arnold was the Principle.

Sandram

allymac

« Reply #40 on: May 16, 2012, 03:50:28 PM »
Hi Billh35,

I visited 'Diamonds' back in 1995 my first trip home in 27 years and even though it had been completely modified I couldn't believe when I spoke to a few of their customers on the day that one of them was an old bloke who used to drink regularly with my Dad before he left to come to Australia.  The staff although they did not know my Dad personally gave me a drink tray and bar cloth as a momento from Diamonds to give to him. We Irish are very sentimental and generous - don't you think!!!  Hope the pub is still standing!!

Sandram
It is now called the Hedgehog and Bucket as far as I know.

tboy

« Reply #41 on: May 16, 2012, 08:05:40 PM »
It was blown up by the ira in the 1970's.I was there and saw it happening.Where were you?
sorry darling it was burned down by 'loyalists' in 1969  check it out hero :D

tboy

« Reply #42 on: May 16, 2012, 08:09:46 PM »
tboy - The Horseshoe was blown up. I was between Deerpark Drive and Cliftondene and watched it go up. The whole roof lifted off about 5 feet in the air and then collapsed back down again!
is that right? well we didn't see that, and we were standing in the carpark with pints in our hands :D

allymac

« Reply #43 on: May 17, 2012, 09:28:08 AM »
sorry darling it was burned down by 'loyalists' in 1969  check it out hero :D
Would you stop calling me darling as I'm not that way inclined,so you're wasting your time. ::) Maybe I just imagined the explosion along with everyone else on Saturday 26/2/1972 ??? 

tboy

« Reply #44 on: May 17, 2012, 08:16:17 PM »
Would you stop calling me darling as I'm not that way inclined,so you're wasting your time. ::) Maybe I just imagined the explosion along with everyone else on Saturday 26/2/1972 ???
Sorry Sweetheart :) BTW that was the second time that the pub was destroyed ;)