Author Topic: old park road  (Read 26980 times)

Creaky

Re: old park road
« Reply #135 on: April 18, 2018, 08:53:04 PM »
Cool story.
One afternoon must have been 1970 or so I was walking my dog and I was about level with The Glen chippy. If I remember correctly there was a lay by area there. Didn’t seem to be anyone else around.
Suddenly a sports car pulled into the layby and out jumped a tall black guy with an Afro, bushy sideburns and dressed in multicoloured hippy clothes.
He brushed by me and into one of the shops. ( Maybe a chemist? )
Long story short to this day I’m 99% sure he was the lead singer of Mungo Jerry who were #1 on TOp of The Pops at that time. I don’t know what he was doing in Belfast then. They were very popular at the time and the last place he should have been was outside Freddy’s Chippy on the Oldpark Road.

I’m sure it happened 😀
Hi Sachs, I might be bursting your bubble here. It would be interesting to know more about that sports car. The reason being is this. Back in those days, I knew a guy called Ronnie Holmes (RIP) who lived in the Sunningdale estate. He was very much as you have described the person you saw. Although not black as you described, Ronnie would have been quite swarthy but everything else more or less fits.. Ronnie drove about in a bright red Ferrari Dino lookalike. It looked very flash but was really only a kit car built around an old Volkswagen Beetle. I think it may have been Ronnie that you saw. O0   
Love will always  change to sorrow, but everyone must play the game. We're here today and gone tomorrow, but the world goes on the same.

Sachs

« Reply #136 on: April 19, 2018, 08:28:04 AM »
Hi Sachs, I might be bursting your bubble here. It would be interesting to know more about that sports car. The reason being is this. Back in those days, I knew a guy called Ronnie Holmes (RIP) who lived in the Sunningdale estate. He was very much as you have described the person you saw. Although not black as you described, Ronnie would have been quite swarthy but everything else more or less fits.. Ronnie drove about in a bright red Ferrari Dino lookalike. It looked very flash but was really only a kit car built around an old Volkswagen Beetle. I think it may have been Ronnie that you saw. O0
Creaky sounds plausible.
 There goes one of my brushes with greatness.

The other one was once meeting Bobby Charlton over the Ballysillan playing fields 😄
(No it was actually in Crewe train station).

Creaky

« Reply #137 on: April 19, 2018, 09:18:04 AM »
Creaky sounds plausible.
 There goes one of my brushes with greatness.

The other one was once meeting Bobby Charlton over the Ballysillan playing fields 😄
(No it was actually in Crewe train station).
Sorry about that. Was it "in the summertime" by any chance? :D
Love will always  change to sorrow, but everyone must play the game. We're here today and gone tomorrow, but the world goes on the same.

Sachs

« Reply #138 on: April 19, 2018, 11:22:41 PM »
Sorry about that. Was it "in the summertime" by any chance? :D
cant remember if it was “In the Summertime” but the rain was coming down in buckets. 😀

Out of interest eould Ronnie Holmes been going to The Model at around this time? Maybe 5 or 6 Th form?

Creaky

« Reply #139 on: April 20, 2018, 05:24:30 PM »
cant remember if it was “In the Summertime” but the rain was coming down in buckets. 😀

Out of interest eould Ronnie Holmes been going to The Model at around this time? Maybe 5 or 6 Th form?
Hi Sachs. No, Ronnie didn't go to the model. I can't be certain but he was about four years older than me. In 1970, I was fifteen.

chevron

« Reply #140 on: April 20, 2018, 05:48:08 PM »
to all.just reading oldpark rd and cliftondene cres. did any of you know the McClure's family top end of cliftondene cres?also a Roy pledge who lived on the oldpark rd. he was a captain in the merchant navy.what about the Dunn's/the keels/big Andy Killian police man/there used to be a girl who lived over t antrim rd.Kathleen, who run around with Florry loob think that was the to spell it also eddy Orr lived down at the bottom of the crescent.

parkie

« Reply #141 on: April 21, 2018, 12:07:42 PM »
I grew up in Deerpark so local shops were:

Top of the Oldpark - O'Haras Bakery and Freddie's "The Glen Supper Saloon" were important - at one point there was a Stewarts shop there as well
There was a hairdressers opposite Joanmount Methodist Church
John & Eileen Beattie's newsagency almost next door to Carr's Glen Primary School (which used to be Moores before the Beatties)
Up the lane at the other side of the school was Mortons
In Marmount Gardens was Pollys shop
Deerpark Post Office was originally next door to Diamonds Horseshoe Bar - the old cottage next door made way for a Fina Petrol Station which later became a Chinese takeaway
Then there was Stewarts and the Co-Op - across from the Co-Op was McKenzies who were newsagents and confectioners. Then there was Mc Cays chemists, Carsons Butchers where our little dog "Teddy" would get his daily bone - sometimes as big as he was!

To name but a few.
Billh35 was  the Oharas you were talking about just above  cliftonville circus or up at the top of Oldpark & Ballysillian roads? :-\

big e

« Reply #142 on: April 22, 2018, 05:22:32 PM »
i worked with derek in the ulster weaving co about 1963/4

billh35

« Reply #143 on: April 23, 2018, 11:06:31 AM »
Parkie.....O'Haras was at the top of the Oldpark Road in the parade of shops. There were two halves to the parade separated by an entry. I think there was also an Ormo shop as well but the O'Haras I remember vividly as it seemed to be a huge shop for what they were selling. There was also a wool shop as well. I can't remember the others in that block.

parkie

« Reply #144 on: April 24, 2018, 02:54:16 PM »
Parkie.....O'Haras was at the top of the Oldpark Road in the parade of shops. There were two halves to the parade separated by an entry. I think there was also an Ormo shop as well but the O'Haras I remember vividly as it seemed to be a huge shop for what they were selling. There was also a wool shop as well. I can't remember the others in that block.
Hi billh35 I'm having a senior moment here but I'm confused  - where on the oldpark road you are talking about ???

billh35

« Reply #145 on: April 24, 2018, 03:19:23 PM »
Just below the Ballysillan Road - https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@54.626645,-5.9657251,3a,75y,69.9h,76.26t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sV031I8v93o6HvdRb-2-rWw!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

Where the New Century Shop is was O'Haras and the tanning shop was Ormo

Creaky

« Reply #146 on: April 24, 2018, 06:17:49 PM »
Just below the Ballysillan Road - https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@54.626645,-5.9657251,3a,75y,69.9h,76.26t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sV031I8v93o6HvdRb-2-rWw!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

Where the New Century Shop is was O'Haras and the tanning shop was Ormo
I'm not so sure that you are totally correct in this. I remember in around 1964/5 that where New Century is and Big Papa Drews is, these two shops had been knocked together into one and it was a small supermarket known as "Richards". He used to pay me sixpence to burn his old cardboard boxes on the waste ground at the back of the shop. I don't remember an Ormo shop there but I think that O'Haras was the end shop. In saying that though, I may be wrong about which two shops had been knocked together.

billh35

« Reply #147 on: April 24, 2018, 07:24:32 PM »
I vividly remember them in the 60s and 70s!

Creaky

« Reply #148 on: April 24, 2018, 07:51:22 PM »
I vividly remember them in the 60s and 70s!
Do you remember Richard's supermarket?

Creaky

« Reply #149 on: April 24, 2018, 08:30:15 PM »
I'm wondering now if O'Haras moved into Richards after he moved out. This would make sense if they were in what is now New Century. Richard would have been gone by 1967/8. Maybe someone with access to the appropriate street directories could help with this one. I have had a look on LennonWylies and the nearest is 1960 but O'Haras, Ormo and Richard were not there then.