Author Topic: SHANKILL REUNITED  (Read 429741 times)

big bill

SHANKILL REUNITED
« on: January 05, 2012, 02:26:40 PM »
HAPPY NEW YEAR TO ALL,hi, id like to hear and see any old stories, and photos of days gone by and the present  from probably [according to me]lol, the greatest road in the world the SHANKILL, people from the greater shankill have left and went to live  all over the world,they left districts like highfield,springmartin,glencairn,ballysillan
woodvale,crumlin rd,oldpark rd etc,also the old districts of brown sq,hammer,banjo,nick etc,im hoping that the [shankillites] would be able to get in touch with long lost friends,neighbours and loved ones through this forum to reunite,i personally was born in springmount st,[hammer] 1955 relatives[smiths,hoys,loves,leckeys
simms,mckennas,morelands,laverys, taylors etc.[wifes]goddens,mahoods fowlers etc.heres hoping to hear and see a lot of stories and photos from a once and still are very proud people.
"if god be for us,who shall be against us?"

JEANJEANNIE

Re: SHANKILL REUNITED
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2012, 09:27:03 PM »

william bickerstaffe

« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2012, 09:29:32 PM »
must have been a lousy picture not too many lined up here lol

JEANJEANNIE

« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2012, 09:43:15 PM »
William,
     That's the end of the queue waiting to get in.

william bickerstaffe

« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2012, 09:47:58 PM »
jean dont think so look at the nice clean pavement

JEANJEANNIE

« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2012, 09:58:42 PM »

Sandgroper

« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2012, 01:16:21 AM »
jean dont think so look at the nice clean pavement

William
Haven't you noticed just how clean the streets are in the the old photos

Sg

harrydunn

« Reply #7 on: January 08, 2012, 10:44:47 PM »
sure us kids kept the streets clean when we gathered up all the discarded paper and lit a wee fire after cadging a match from a passing smoker :P :D

stewie

« Reply #8 on: January 08, 2012, 10:52:58 PM »
HAPPY NEW YEAR TO ALL,hi, id like to hear and see any old stories, and photos of days gone by and the present  from probably [according to me]lol, the greatest road in the world the SHANKILL, people from the greater shankill have left and went to live  all over the world,they left districts like highfield,springmartin,glencairn,ballysillan
woodvale,crumlin rd,oldpark rd etc,also the old districts of brown sq,hammer,banjo,nick etc,im hoping that the [shankillites] would be able to get in touch with long lost friends,neighbours and loved ones through this forum to reunite,i personally was born in springmount st,[hammer] 1955 relatives[smiths,hoys,loves,leckeys
simms,mckennas,morelands,laverys, taylors etc.[wifes]goddens,mahoods fowlers etc.heres hoping to hear and see a lot of stories and photos from a once and still are very proud people.
Highfield Born and Bread    and still living up the Ballygo ;)  no better Place :-* the Hoy,s ? is that big Jackie Hoy?

big bill

« Reply #9 on: January 09, 2012, 06:03:36 PM »
thanks jean jeannie great photos,id love to see a lot more, :-* hi stewie, yes jackie hoy is a cousin of mine :)
"if god be for us,who shall be against us?"

theorrs

« Reply #10 on: January 09, 2012, 08:32:46 PM »
JEANNE JEAN  WHAT WAS THE NAME OF THE ST THAT THE WE SHANK WAS ON AN WAS THERE ANOTHER PICTURE HOUSE  ON THE RD NEAR IT     THANKS

JEANJEANNIE

« Reply #11 on: January 09, 2012, 09:54:55 PM »
Theorrs,
          "Wee Joe" McKibbon was a Shankill Road grocer who owned the Shankill Picturedrome on the Northumberland St. corner and the  West End Picture House (The Wee Shank) . The two were quite close to each other. At 10.30am every Saturday Joe ran special children's matinees which cost the kids 1d at the door. Joe was nicknamed "The King of the Shankill". He died in 1921. Joe also owned the Diamond Picture House on the Falls Road and the Midland Cinema in York Street.

edmor

« Reply #12 on: January 09, 2012, 10:40:28 PM »
  I knew a Jackie Hoy but he was from the Woodvale
Pox vobiscum     Savagin'  done....chape.    Hillbillies caint spel     Proud to be a usual suspect     REM 1697

manitoba

« Reply #13 on: January 09, 2012, 11:00:00 PM »
Theorrs,
The other picture house was called Wee Joe's. It was on the same side as the We shank a couple couple of streets down. I think Joe McKibbin also owned that one as well. At one time you could get in for a jam jar.
My dad had a shop at 145 Shankill at Downing St. During and after the war it was a lending library he also ran the Belfast Football pools out of there for a while until the government decided it was illeagle then he turhned it into a fruit shop. he sold it  around 1951

Sandgroper

« Reply #14 on: January 09, 2012, 11:34:22 PM »
Theorrs,
The other picture house was called Wee Joe's. It was on the same side as the We shank a couple couple of streets down. I think Joe McKibbin also owned that one as well. At one time you could get in for a jam jar.
My dad had a shop at 145 Shankill at Downing St. During and after the war it was a lending library he also ran the Belfast Football pools out of there for a while until the government decided it was illeagle then he turhned it into a fruit shop. he sold it  around 1951

Yes wee joe's was on the corner of Carlow st.

Sg