Author Topic: SHANKILL REUNITED  (Read 429761 times)

jjmack

Re: SHANKILL REUNITED
« Reply #2385 on: September 29, 2018, 10:29:52 PM »
JJ,  I don't remember Huddleston's. but I do remember a chippy on the corner of Berlin st, I worked in Millford before coming to Canada 1967 and a few of us would get a Pastie  and eat it on the way home.  :) those were the days :D

Huddleston's was in Tennant Street on the left hand side, going towards the Crumlin Road, just up past Upper Riga Street. I don't remember a chippie at the corner of a Berlin Street but I do remember a chippie at the corner of Tennant Street and Sydney Street West ?  :)
Wear your RED POPPY with PRIDE.  Lest we forget. BUY BRITISH.  Support the forces of LAW and ORDER, PAST and PRESENT. Justice for the BRITISH ARMY.

arder lavery

« Reply #2386 on: September 30, 2018, 11:52:08 AM »
Although we lived in Ardoyne, my sister married jim Mitchell from Malvern place , lovely family were always polite and friendly, a long time ago of course
HAVE NO FEAR CAUSE ARDERS HERE

urneygirl

« Reply #2387 on: September 30, 2018, 03:43:14 PM »
Huddleston's was in Tennant Street on the left hand side, going towards the Crumlin Road, just up past Upper Riga Street. I don't remember a chippie at the corner of a Berlin Street but I do remember a chippie at the corner of Tennant Street and Sydney Street West ?  :)

JJ, the chippy I was trying to remember was on the corner of Riga & Berlin st. :)

urneygirl

« Reply #2388 on: September 30, 2018, 03:46:41 PM »
Although we lived in Ardoyne, my sister married jim Mitchell from Malvern place , lovely family were always polite and friendly, a long time ago of course

Hi arder, I haven't seen you around for awhile, it's nice to see you drop in.  :)

river rats

« Reply #2389 on: October 05, 2018, 11:44:03 AM »
Hi Harry, the family are all well thank you. it nice to see you and river rats drop in, I miss all the old chatter. Bobby is on FB and is trying to get me on it, I do sneak  in sometimes but I still enjoy the Forum. Take care. :-*
Thanks for the nod. Does any one remember the double footpath at the top of lawn brook avenue I think it was because the drop was so big to the road.
We are all in the gutter but some of us are looking at the stars

river rats

« Reply #2390 on: October 05, 2018, 11:52:43 AM »
Huddleston's chippie I was the playmate of Jim the son. Does any one remember standing on the seat of the top cubical to see over the counter and jims dad would give you a wee poke of chips as a treat. I bet no one would do that now.
On a Friday and Saturday night the cubicles would be full  they even gave you bread and butter for a sit down supper. Your parents would say don't be drinking that coke so quick as you wont get another. and to top it all it was a wee warm bottle of coke.
My friends uncle give us 10 shillings to go and buy two chips and wanted change that's 50p to you.
what was on the menu fish chips and pasties that was it and the queue was up Tennant street at the weekend.
Happy days.   

We are all in the gutter but some of us are looking at the stars

jjmack

« Reply #2391 on: October 05, 2018, 10:36:47 PM »
Huddleston's chippie I was the playmate of Jim the son. Does any one remember standing on the seat of the top cubical to see over the counter and jims dad would give you a wee poke of chips as a treat. I bet no one would do that now.
On a Friday and Saturday night the cubicles would be full  they even gave you bread and butter for a sit down supper. Your parents would say don't be drinking that coke so quick as you wont get another. and to top it all it was a wee warm bottle of coke.
My friends uncle give us 10 shillings to go and buy two chips and wanted change that's 50p to you.
what was on the menu fish chips and pasties that was it and the queue was up Tennant street at the weekend.
Happy days.

Yes indeed it was a toss up between Huddlestons and Beatties for the best fish. MaMas did great chips, pasties and mushy peas, not to mention their great ice cream, as well. Their 'Knickerbockerglorys' were legend.  ::)
Wear your RED POPPY with PRIDE.  Lest we forget. BUY BRITISH.  Support the forces of LAW and ORDER, PAST and PRESENT. Justice for the BRITISH ARMY.

jjmack

« Reply #2392 on: October 06, 2018, 03:01:32 PM »
Thanks for the nod. Does any one remember the double footpath at the top of lawn brook avenue I think it was because the drop was so big to the road.

Yes, I remember the double footpath there. To be avoided, especially if one was 'three sheets to the wind'. Lol  :D

Stephen Burrows

« Reply #2393 on: October 26, 2018, 10:13:12 PM »
Brian- my Great-Grandfather Alexander Burrows lived at 106 Carnon Street but a lot earlier in 1916. He had sons called Walter (1906 ish, John Alexander and Henry (Harry) and a daughter Mabel). There may be a link between our families somewhere?
my grandfather was John Alexander Burrows he was born in 1908 he died in 2002 aged 94

jjmack

« Reply #2394 on: October 26, 2018, 10:25:40 PM »
my grandfather was John Alexander Burrows he was born in 1908 he died in 2002 aged 94

Welcome to the forum, Stephen Burrows.  :)

Stephen Burrows

« Reply #2395 on: October 27, 2018, 12:34:40 AM »
My grandfather was John Alexander Burrows he was born in 1908 and died in 2002 aged 94

GaryL

« Reply #2396 on: November 22, 2018, 02:27:35 PM »
Hi all, I am new, only signed up today.
I was adopted as a child and now live in England.
I am trying to trace my original Irish family and came across your website.
My grandfather was called William Herbert McQuitty.
He was a soldier in the British Army and I think he may have lived at 186 Conway Street in the 1930's.
I believe his father was called Robert McQuitty.
William married an English girl, Irene Muncaster, in 1939 prior to shipping out for WW2. I'm led to believe that he survived the war, but separated from his wife sometime later.
Unfortunately that's all the information I have.
Is anyone possibly able to give me any pointers ?
Thanks
GaryL

scotland

« Reply #2397 on: December 02, 2018, 02:47:37 AM »
MERRY CHRISTMAS To all the folk of the Shankill Greetings and Cheers from m Scotland M😀😀

urneygirl

« Reply #2398 on: December 07, 2018, 04:55:49 PM »
HI SCOTLAND, MERRY CHRISTMAS TO YOU AND YOUR FAMILY .  :-*

I SAW THE SHANKILL CHRISTMAS PARADE ON  FB, IT LOOKED LIKE EVERYONE WAS HAVING A GREAT TIME, IT WAS LOVELY TO SEE.  O0