Author Topic: SHANKILL REUNITED  (Read 461567 times)

chi

Re: SHANKILL REUNITED
« Reply #855 on: July 12, 2012, 03:55:00 PM »
Its all about muscle/power :(
I love a good parade but there
are certain parades that cause
problems, similar to the way folks
enjoy baiting on the B/F until the
moderators close the thread. :)   

“Nobody can hurt me without my permission.”

Don't mistake my silence for ignorance, my calmness for acceptance, or my kindness  for weakness.

chi

« Reply #856 on: July 12, 2012, 03:58:25 PM »
I personally think both sides have tried to make this go off peacefully. We will know shortly if they have succeeded and I pray it does. I do think the P Commision set an almost impossible task (however where there is a will there is a way) so I just hope the Orangemen and the residends hold out an 'open hand' rather than a closed fist.
I remember years ago there were rows and rows of Orangemen now the lodges seems to have a very small number it is mostly bands marching now ??? I feel this could be part of the problem although what I saw on tv today they were mainly playing 'nice' tunes.
Well fingers crossed it all goes peacefully. But even on here we have someone telling us we are on the wrong place discussing this yet they are on ....strange!!!!!
Have a peaceful 12th  :) :-*

Don't mistake my silence for ignorance, my calmness for acceptance, or my kindness  for weakness.

hathaway

« Reply #857 on: July 12, 2012, 08:23:24 PM »
Seen the parade today. Band quality was excellent. Dress and Music brillant. Whiterock FB fifty years on the march. Well done lads.

BrianBurrows

« Reply #858 on: July 12, 2012, 08:51:43 PM »
New here, and researching my Irish history from the U.S. I have found a lot of good info in this thread, my Grandparents were both from Shankill on Carnan St in the 40's and 50's. If anyone knew someone listed below please get in touch. Trying to locate what family I still have back there, and fill in some gaps in my family tree while learning a bit. Thanks so much.

Walter Burrows
Hugh Todd
Marion Todd
Alexander Burrows
Annie Megarry

jimbov

« Reply #859 on: July 12, 2012, 11:37:36 PM »
Thank you to everyone who asked for a safe and peaceful 12th of July parade
The parade itself was enjoyable, peaceful and watched by many people who came from everywhere
Ulster the Republic of Ireland and other countries from around the world and of all religions
The people who once again caused trouble at Ardoyne have proved they are not prepaired te accept our culture
Let us all now leave this topic and move on. But let's enjoy a bit of humer to end with

I was walking through Ardoyne the other day wearing a Lindfield shirt when I got stopped by 4 men
They said to me  Do you know wer ya are and wearen that shirt? I replied Yep I am in Ardoyne
One man looked down at my trainers which cost £100 and said take them of and I will do you a deal
and see how brave you are, If you go into that pub over there with that shirt on and bring us all back a pint each
we will let ya go without a beating and you can have your trainers back.
I came back with the pints and the guy said you are a brave man take yer trainers
I looked at the trainers and they had [censored] in them.They laughed and said put them on and get out of here
A hundred yards down the road I met a news crew who said to me  would you do a short interview with us? I agreed
I was asked do you ever think there will be peace?   I replied there will never be peace as long as they keep crapping
in our shoes and we keep [censored] in their pints   :D

"The problem with you, son, is that all your brains are in your head" ( Shanks )

chi

« Reply #860 on: July 12, 2012, 11:59:04 PM »
 ??? :read:    jimbov sounds like a tall pub story :-\

bricat

« Reply #861 on: July 13, 2012, 12:44:23 AM »
Thank you to everyone who asked for a safe and peaceful 12th of July parade
The parade itself was enjoyable, peaceful and watched by many people who came from everywhere
Ulster the Republic of Ireland and other countries from around the world and of all religions
The people who once again caused trouble at Ardoyne have proved they are not prepaired te accept our culture
Let us all now leave this topic and move on. But let's enjoy a bit of humer to end with

I was walking through Ardoyne the other day wearing a Lindfield shirt when I got stopped by 4 men
They said to me  Do you know wer ya are and wearen that shirt? I replied Yep I am in Ardoyne
One man looked down at my trainers which cost £100 and said take them of and I will do you a deal
and see how brave you are, If you go into that pub over there with that shirt on and bring us all back a pint each
we will let ya go without a beating and you can have your trainers back.
I came back with the pints and the guy said you are a brave man take yer trainers
I looked at the trainers and they had [censored] in them.They laughed and said put them on and get out of here
A hundred yards down the road I met a news crew who said to me  would you do a short interview with us? I agreed
I was asked do you ever think there will be peace?   I replied there will never be peace as long as they keep crapping
in our shoes and we keep [censored] in their pints   :D

I see you like Billy Connolly  ;)
If i'd known i was goin ta live this long i would've taken better care of meself

urneygirl

« Reply #862 on: July 13, 2012, 12:47:36 AM »
??? :read:    jimbov sounds like a tall pub story :-\

chi, it is, but still a good story :D

jimbov

« Reply #863 on: July 13, 2012, 09:28:56 AM »
Bricat you are 100%  right  it was an old Billy Connolly joke about Rangers & Celtic I just changed around a bit

"The problem with you, son, is that all your brains are in your head" ( Shanks )

jimbov

« Reply #864 on: July 13, 2012, 09:44:54 AM »
Hi BrianBurrows there was a Henry Burrows and family lived in Sugarfield street 1970s
it is possible they are conected as the two streets are almost facing each other on the Shankill

BrianBurrows

« Reply #865 on: July 13, 2012, 01:59:03 PM »
 jimbov,
Thank you very much, I will add that as someone to research. My aunt mentioned that my great grandfather Walter Burrows used to go to the pubs on Shankill and sing and play the accordion. He went by "Wally" at the time.

jimbov

« Reply #866 on: July 13, 2012, 02:46:36 PM »
 Brian   Henry Burrows  used to do a bit of singing around the pubs aswell. I will see what i can find out for you but  it might take a while

BrianBurrows

« Reply #867 on: July 13, 2012, 02:57:33 PM »
Thank you so much. Both of my grandparents grew up on Shankill in the 40's and 50's. Are there any other large collections of pictures from that time/place aside from here and the Belfast Telegraph?

our bobby

« Reply #868 on: July 13, 2012, 05:18:13 PM »
Knew a family called Burrows lived top of Riga street near Carnen street, Billy was the one I knew. He would be just about retirement age now.

hathaway

« Reply #869 on: July 13, 2012, 06:15:04 PM »
A Stephen Burrows was in the 99th BB with me. He lived about the Woodvale area.