Author Topic: slate street school  (Read 29590 times)

seanw

Re: slate street school
« Reply #15 on: July 02, 2012, 12:18:02 PM »
Annie Monaghan lived in no. 51 Mc Donnell St.,  apposite Shanahan's shop. I lived in No. 39.

screengoddess

« Reply #16 on: July 02, 2012, 12:23:00 PM »
Annie Monaghan lived in no. 51 Mc Donnell St.,  apposite Shanahan's shop. I lived in No. 39.
She is my granny.

Bread Basket

« Reply #17 on: July 02, 2012, 02:30:36 PM »
Paddy was the school caretaker and involved with Browns milk round
Pat was my Wife's Uncle...and Winnie Brown was her Aunt. .and yes, Christy died a few months ago.

c.rita

« Reply #18 on: July 10, 2012, 10:31:26 PM »
I lived at number 50 McDonnell st..we were right in the middle between Marchioness st and Ton st... neighbours were Murphys at 46, McAreaveys at 48, my grand ma's (Nolan) at 50. McAteers at 52 and Devlins at 54.. Mickey Monaghan was best Man at my Mom and Dad's wedding in 1939.. We moved to the westrock bungalows in 1949, went to Slate st school in 1945 until 1955, got the bus to school every day at the bottom of the Giant's foot after we left McDonnell St.

acko

« Reply #19 on: July 13, 2012, 07:47:39 PM »
hi , MY NAMES PATRICK MC MULLAN AND I LIVED IN MC DONNELL ST. I REMEMBER ST JOSEPHS WELL. I WAS THERE MID SIXTIES. I REMEMBER MR MURDOCH, MR BURNS AND THE FIDDLE PLAYING MR MILLIGAN. OUR P.E WAS DONE ON THE ROOF WHICH WAS SURROUNDED BY A THREE FOOT BARRIER.  EVERY TIME THE BALL WENT OFF THE ROOF INTO SLATE ST, SOMEBODY HAD TO RUN ALL THE WAY DOWN TO GET IT BACK AGAIN. I ALSO REMEMBER FREE MILK  AND GETTING CANED BY MR BURNS REGULARLY. >:D  OK I PROBABLY DESERVED IT :)

Lizzy Mac

« Reply #20 on: July 15, 2012, 10:05:53 AM »
my husband went to slate st from mid fifties to early sixties teachers were a pack of sadists we are often told how catholic schools taught us about irish history we learned about the civil war from burns sadly it was the american civil war 

chink

« Reply #21 on: July 16, 2012, 01:35:16 AM »
Pat was my Wife's Uncle...and Winnie Brown was her Aunt. .and yes, Christy died a few months ago.
i  think  his  granson  or  great granson  lives in  our  street  he  wou;ld  be in his  thirtys  he is  called  chris

Bread Basket

« Reply #22 on: July 16, 2012, 02:07:20 PM »
i  think  his  granson  or  great granson  lives in  our  street  he  wou;ld  be in his  thirtys  he is  called  chris
I don't know the lad....but thats probably Christie's son.

chink

« Reply #23 on: July 17, 2012, 01:01:59 AM »
BREADBASKET  I  THINK  THE WEE MAN THAT USED TO DELIVER  THE MILK  HIS  GREAT  GRANDSON  LIVES  A FEW DOORS  FROM  ME  HE USED  TO DELIVER  MILK  UP  UNTIL  A FEW YEARS  AGO  HIMSELF  I THINK  HE  WOULD  BE IN HIS  LATE  THIRTIES

screengoddess

« Reply #24 on: August 09, 2012, 12:26:15 PM »
my husband went to slate st from mid fifties to early sixties teachers were a pack of sadists we are often told how catholic schools taught us about irish history we learned about the civil war from burns sadly it was the american civil war
Can you remember the sadist called Slattery? He was a raving looney a real child abuser.

screengoddess

« Reply #25 on: August 09, 2012, 12:29:04 PM »
I saw kids crying and wetting themselves at the hands of Slattery as he called them vile names and beat them with a cane. A lad called Jimmy OHare and Jimmy Burns were two of his victims

screengoddess

« Reply #26 on: August 09, 2012, 12:31:12 PM »
The shop was Larry Merchants. He moved to St James and sadly was murdered by loyalist terrorists

seanw

« Reply #27 on: August 10, 2012, 07:28:24 PM »
The shop aws at the corner of marchioness st, it was owned by Murchan and Rice (Larry Murchan).  He originally came from Crossmaglen I believe.

ozpat

« Reply #28 on: September 30, 2012, 04:19:57 AM »
I was there mid 50s to 1963. I just missed Mulligan’s class and had O’hara, Magee, Savage, Slattery, Burns, Snifter Gordon, Collins, but can’t remember any Sam Greer. Mulligan had his son in his class at the time and did indeed drive a Mayfair, a big boxy car. We had O’hara two years running. (what a nightmare) He was one of the sadists. I remember one year when we were getting into our teens he was laying into Woods, I think it was, when Woods’ two mates came to his rescue and had O’hara up against the wall. He turned white and just froze with terror. That made our day. Magee (Geezer) always made us laugh with his stories and his accents taking the mickey out of somebody. He drove an old Morris Minor, Lic. PZ 112, and sometimes gave us Ballymuckers a lift as he lived out Hannastown way. (We actually lived in Highfield). Slattery was indeed a sadist. He had my younger brother’s hands in welts most days. My ma would go down and lay into him with some colourful language. Gordon was pretty fair and didn’t have any ‘pet’ boys like the others. Burns taught the final year boys so wasn’t game to take them on as some of us were pretty big by then. I remember he and a female teacher, Miss McCann I seem to recall, they were a tall couple, canoodling at the back of the bus one night coming from the Forum cinema. Didn’t think a Slate Streeter would be that far out catching them at it. The headmaster’s name that I recall was Murtagh, not Murdock that people seem to think. Paddy McVeigh’s son worked with my dad in Isaac Agnew’s VW dealership. Three boys and three girls from our family went there.

rathlin

« Reply #29 on: October 08, 2012, 06:09:34 PM »

Remembering the forgotten innocents of all wars.