Author Topic: slate street school  (Read 29589 times)

chink

Re: slate street school
« Reply #30 on: October 09, 2012, 12:38:45 AM »
do  you  know  what  year

rathlin

« Reply #31 on: October 09, 2012, 01:30:00 PM »
Sadly, no.
Remembering the forgotten innocents of all wars.

anneflanagan

« Reply #32 on: October 19, 2012, 01:32:30 AM »
Slate st 1950 /51<div style="width:480px;text-align:right;"><embed width="480" heig my brother Jim is in this photo

peejay

« Reply #33 on: October 29, 2012, 09:04:53 PM »
does anyone remember eileen crossan from marion st. grosvenor rd. and colette boyle from macdonald st who went to slate st. school in the 1950s they are now in their 70s and still going strong

decky

« Reply #34 on: November 13, 2012, 08:08:23 PM »
I went to slate st from 1963 too 1970 I REMEMBER PLAYING ON THE ROOF IF I AM WRIGHT  THE GAME WAS CALLED GO BALL YOU WERE NOT ALLOWED KICK THE BALL YOU HAD THROW IT

Joe McBride

« Reply #35 on: January 22, 2013, 01:00:46 AM »
I was at slate street from 55 to 63.  My recollections are: principal was Hugh Murtagh, Deputy Head James Magee. Other teachers were: Miss Savage, Dan Slattery, Snifter Gordon (not sniffy as suggested) George Burns, Kevin Mussen (brother of the Down football player) Miss Dealaney Mr Mulligan, (whose son was in my class) and Mr O'Hara.
Fond memories of:
Goal ball on the roof
Cold Milk in the freezing ground floor enclosed yard
Hugh Murtagh's best saying when he was anoyed. "There will be wigs on the green" what ever that means "and there will be weeping and wailing and gnashing of teeth".
James Magee's cane was called "tauser"
Miss Savage was beautiful
Miss Delayaney was much older but told great stories.  I remember Noddy was a favourite by Enid Blyton when I was about 5
Mr Slatterey used to get very loud  receting poetry. I remember "rain" being a favourite
Mr Magee used to get us to sing Marching Through Georgia an old american civil war song
Mr Mulligan on the violin and eating something called Cadburys Malt from a large jar with a spoon
Best of all I rememember those at school and those I looked up to who were older:
Brian Winnery (great gaelic player)
Patsy Kennnedy friend and mentor
and all my class mates
and yes all the names mentioned so far not forgettng Rinty Fox the dog who used to chase us along Slate Street
Sad about Christy Brown who was also in my class.

belfast proud

« Reply #36 on: February 05, 2013, 02:34:07 PM »
I WAS A PUPIL FROM 1959 TO 1963,I REMEMBER MULLIGAN,SLATTERY,O'HARA,MAGEE,GORDON,
BURNS.THE HEADMASTER WAS HUGHIE MURTAGH,I CAN STILL SEE HIM STANDING OUTSIDE AT THE
BOYS ENTRACE RINGING THE HAND BELL.GOALBALL UP ON THE ROOF WITH MR. SLATTERY(WHO WAS A RUC RESERVIST FROM CREGAGH ESTATE) AND GAELIC FOOTBALL ON SATURDAY MORNINGS
WITH SLATTERY UP IN FALLS PARK.I REMEMBER JOE MCBRIDE,IF MEMORY SERVES ME RIGHT,A
COUSIN OF GERARD NELSON,WHO WENT TO LIVE IN CANADA.SOME OTHER EX PUPILS,MARIO MORELLI,JIM DONAGHY,TOM MC QUAID, DESSIE MORROW,JACKIE KENNEDY, PAT GARLAND,HUGH
DALY,JIM REID,FRA MCCOLGAN(RIP) MARTIN BARNES(RIP)JOHN MOONEY,GERRY MCMULLAN,HARRY
CLARKE,MARTIN COSGROVE,FRANCIS SKELLY,PETER BURNS,BOBBY MCKEE,SEAN FITZGERALD,ROBERT WYLIE,GEORGE QUINN,JIM MCCAULEY(RIP) MICHAEL NUGENT,EMANUEL FERRAN,THOMAS MCNEIL,BRENDAN JOHNSTON,ROBERT FRENCH,PAT DORRIAN,CHRISTY BROWN(RIP)
FRANCIS REILLY TO NAME A FEW.WE HAD A TEACHER CALLED O'BRIEN FOR A WEE WHILE.

The Murph

« Reply #37 on: February 08, 2013, 08:23:04 AM »

James Magee's cane was called "tauser"
Miss Savage was beautiful
Miss Delayaney was much older but told great stories.  I remember Noddy was a favourite by Enid Blyton when I was about 5
Mr Slatterey used to get very loud  receting poetry. I remember "rain" being a favourite
Mr Magee used to get us to sing Marching Through Georgia an old american civil war song
Mr Mulligan on the violin and eating something called Cadburys Malt from a large jar with a spoon
Best of all I rememember those at school and those I looked up to who were older:
Brian Winnery (great gaelic player)
Patsy Kennnedy friend and mentor
and all my class mates
and yes all the names mentioned so far not forgettng Rinty Fox the dog who used to chase us along Slate Street
Sad about Christy Brown who was also in my class.
I wonder if James Magee's cane was called "Bowser"? I didnt attend Slate school, went to St Johns on the springfield Road, but my father was friends with a teacher called Magee. He lived up the Hannastown road near where the car entrance to the mountain walk now is. I knew it as Tonaroy, but I am sure that is not how it is spelt. Master Magee (as I knew him) took me for some private classes just before I took the 11+. I remember my dad telling me he had a tough reputation as a teacher.
About ten years ago I got a book of short stories written about Belfast and in that was a story about Bowser.
Thirty years after the events and having moved to Oz for twenty of them, it was a great read. I did pass the 11+, by the way.
 :)
Blessed are the cracked, they will let in the light.

BELFASTPROUD

« Reply #38 on: February 08, 2013, 08:56:47 PM »
YES MR.MAGEE DID LIVE  IN HANNAHSTOWN.IN EARLY 1963 WHEN THE 'BIG SNOW'HAPPENED I
REMEMBER MR.MAGEE TELLING THE CLASS HOW HE HAD TO PUT HIS HORSE DOWN FOR OBVIOUS
REASONS.HEARD LATER HE WAS NOT A HAPPY CHAPPIE WHEN OVERLOOKED FOR THE HEADS JOB.
HIS MUM LIVED AT THE CORNER OF MERRION STREER AND LEESON STREET.

cassidy

« Reply #39 on: February 14, 2013, 01:03:54 AM »
Hi I went to  Slate St. School in the 40ts,the masters were Mr.Casement and Murtagh,Magee,Greer, Mulligan, Gordon and Mrs.McConville. some of my mates were Gerry Adams from Ward st. Billy Kelly from Sultan St. I would be glad to hear from anyone from that time.

jac1960

« Reply #40 on: June 05, 2013, 03:03:11 AM »
I was there from '66 - 72

Teachers were
P1 Miss Smith
P2 (can't remember the lady's name, long dark hair)
P3 Mr Mulligan
P4 Mr Gordon
P5 Mr Hanna
P6 Mr Hanna (again) great teacher, lucky to have him for two years
P7 Mr Burns, canned me twice a day every day for nothing....well, as a payback for what happened to Mulligan 4 years prior.

Mr Murdoch was the Head

feejeeks

« Reply #41 on: June 06, 2013, 09:13:25 PM »
Hate to argue with you Joe but it was definitely Sniffy Gordon

kathy1234

« Reply #42 on: August 10, 2014, 11:33:12 PM »
My mother-in-law lived in McDonald street and was telling my kids about the playground on the roof. Her name is Marie keenan nee Devlin No 54 Mcdonald street
hello  did you know Murphy family from 46 Mc Donald street would love to trace them  their my first cousins   also McAtteer family  last heard of 1949  dont know if ive messaged this in right place not computer savvy   

Loneygrandchild

« Reply #43 on: September 01, 2014, 03:51:45 PM »
Trying to post a pic - I need help!!!
I have uploaded to photobucket, what next?
LGC

Dempsey Rooney McGivern Nolan Hughes O'Neill Bogue O'Hara Boyle Madden Donnelly Downey Fegan Foster Farr Sheils McCormack Gracey Gallagher McDowell

Loneygrandchild

« Reply #44 on: September 01, 2014, 04:00:59 PM »
Slate Street School early 1950s
Dempsey Rooney McGivern Nolan Hughes O'Neill Bogue O'Hara Boyle Madden Donnelly Downey Fegan Foster Farr Sheils McCormack Gracey Gallagher McDowell