Author Topic: slate street school  (Read 34493 times)

Falls

Re: slate street school
« Reply #90 on: March 03, 2018, 10:29:20 PM »
Remember your uncle paddy at a Celtic game circa 1966 versus hearts.He had,what looked like a cine camera,and during the game he was capturing the moment.A nice man and helped out with the school Gaelic team.

Bread Basket

« Reply #91 on: March 04, 2018, 12:01:07 AM »
yes paddy McVeigh and winny Brown are bother and sister as paddy was my uncle
Are you a Brown?

Paulmc1718

« Reply #92 on: March 21, 2018, 08:22:20 PM »
no I am from daddy's wife sied she was seidy McVeigh
 As he was my mother's sister Duffy from Marcioness st

Sharon69

« Reply #93 on: November 14, 2018, 10:31:50 PM »
My uncle attended Slate Street around 1940/1950.. 
His name was Frank Fitzgerald.

I knew him as Fran.

Lived 110 Grosvner Rd  Belfast

fliss

« Reply #94 on: March 22, 2019, 07:17:06 PM »
I think Peter Mulligan also played the Violin.  If so his sister was Ellie Mulligan who taught at the Johnston School of Irish dancing....
I think Mrs Mulligan taught us Irish dancing in Nazaret House in the 50s

Foxy/slate st

« Reply #95 on: April 09, 2019, 12:18:51 PM »
I was at slate street from 55 to 63.  My recollections are: principal was Hugh Murtagh, Deputy Head James Magee. Other teachers were: Miss Savage, Dan Slattery, Snifter Gordon (not sniffy as suggested) George Burns, Kevin Mussen (brother of the Down football player) Miss Dealaney Mr Mulligan, (whose son was in my class) and Mr O'Hara.
Fond memories of:
Goal ball on the roof
Cold Milk in the freezing ground floor enclosed yard
Hugh Murtagh's best saying when he was anoyed. "There will be wigs on the green" what ever that means "and there will be weeping and wailing and gnashing of teeth".
James Magee's cane was called "tauser"
Miss Savage was beautiful
Miss Delayaney was much older but told great stories.  I remember Noddy was a favourite by Enid Blyton when I was about 5
Mr Slatterey used to get very loud  receting poetry. I remember "rain" being a favourite
Mr Magee used to get us to sing Marching Through Georgia an old american civil war song
Mr Mulligan on the violin and eating something called Cadburys Malt from a large jar with a spoon
Best of all I rememember those at school and those I looked up to who were older:
Brian Winnery (great gaelic player)
Patsy Kennnedy friend and mentor
and all my class mates
and yes all the names mentioned so far not forgettng Rinty Fox the dog who used to chase us along Slate Street
Sad about Christy Brown who was also in my class.

our dog was rinty fox...well my dads dog..i think my granny lived at no.24 and we lived at no.26...right facing the school.

Falls

« Reply #96 on: April 14, 2019, 08:51:04 AM »
There was a Sean Fitzgerald that was in our class circa 61/62 sat beside Bobby McKee,both came from slate street.Christy Brown ( rip ) Pat Dorrian, Hugh  Corr ( now resides Canada) also slate street and Gerard ' skip ' Reid who lived at cullingtree Road / Slate street.Met an old slate street classmate,Martin Cosgrove from Gibson street,and he remembers Mr.Slattery telling classmate Jim Donaghy, ''Donaghy get the key for the roof'.Mr.Murtagh,headmaster would have the key in his office,give it to Jim,then up to the roof to play goalball.57/58 years ago and still fresh in my memory.