Author Topic: Australia Calling  (Read 257832 times)

IrishPost

Australia Calling
« on: July 03, 2006, 03:42:53 AM »
G'day Belfast, I got the word on the wire from Kathleen (Yahoo Exiles Files) that you were a friendly bunch and were looking for new members, and so here I am.

I left Belfast in 1964 at the age of 20 and I am now a fairdinkum Aussie but with a Belfast accent. 8)

The only time I have been back to the Mother Country was with my wife in 1999 and we toured the whole of Ireland and then England and Scotland. I guess my favourite places would be the west coast of Ireland from County Kerry to County Donegal, then round the coast of Antrim and into Belfast.

Talking about Belfast; before I left for Australia in 1964, I lived in Ballyhackamore, down near Kings Road and in my early teens had a part-time job as a message boy in Cherry Valley.

Anyhow, that's it for now, if I tell you anymore, I'll have nothing left to say. ;)

Cheers.

Christopher

Re: Australia Calling
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2006, 12:18:02 PM »
Hiya IrishPost,

Did you know the newsagent / confectionery shop in Cherryvalley? I think it belonged to Tommy Gibson. My friend Michael had a part time job there to earn a bit of pocket money.

How about the Brookeborough Hall on the Sandown Road? It was close to a garage. If you were heading from Ballyhackamore to the Knock Hill they were on your RHS. There used to be Saturday night hops for young people in the Brookeborough Hall.

I remember a group of guys I knew playing there on one occasion. They were either at or were Old Boys of Campbell College. I had been at school with at least one. 

All the Best. I hope you enjoy the chat here.

Christopher

EllCee

« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2006, 12:36:10 PM »
I lived in Ballyhackamore, down near Kings Road 

Hi there.  I was also 20 in 1964, and I lived for a couple of years at my grandparent's house at 50 Sandown Rd/corner of Halstein Drive from 1956 - 1958.
"I may not agree with you, but I respect your opinion"   "You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it"

Christopher

« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2006, 12:51:05 PM »
Good Afternoon Les, I hope this is not working up to telling people the date of your birthday. Do you know, it's not a bad idea at that, you might get lots of cards. It's a pity we've both missed the important milestones before we joined this site. Is a 70th anything special? I'll be there in three years time.

I met a young lady called Laura from Strabane at the weekend. She was in a little trailer selling ice cream at the Maritime Festival in Belfast. Laura told me I did not look my age. Some Strabane people reading these threads may know Laura. Her parents live near Hugo Duncan's daughter. That sure beats having a number and name on your house. Living close to a well known personality might be a good selling point when you show prospective buyers around your property.

EllCee

« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2006, 12:55:16 PM »
Hi Chris.   No, my most recent b'day was just last week, so all the board members got out of buying me a drink!  :'(

70th b'days are certainly a milestone    3 score and ten and all that!  Perhaps any after that is a bonus?  In any case, it's a good excuse for a pint.
"I may not agree with you, but I respect your opinion"   "You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it"

Christopher

« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2006, 01:01:01 PM »
I'll die of thirst if I have to wait three years :'( I took Joe's advice and had a few G and T's at the weekend.
I met friends I'd met last year.. the lovely Jane and her boy friend Steve .. they are Rockabilly fans too. They are both originally from Ballymena and now live in Belfast.  Jane gave me a hug when we said "Goodbye" I'm looking forward to next year's Rockabilly Roundup. Jane might give me another hug :D

IrishPost

« Reply #6 on: July 05, 2006, 02:02:54 AM »
Hiya IrishPost,

Did you know the newsagent / confectionery shop in Cherryvalley? I think it belonged to Tommy Gibson. My friend Michael had a part time job there to earn a bit of pocket money.

How about the Brookeborough Hall on the Sandown Road? It was close to a garage. If you were heading from Ballyhackamore to the Knock Hill they were on your RHS. There used to be Saturday night hops for young people in the Brookeborough Hall.  

Christopher

lesclarke. I was also 20 in 1964, and I lived for a couple of years at my grandparent's house at 50 Sandown Rd/corner of Halstein Drive from 1956 - 1958.

Jeez folks, you're testing my memory now.

Christopher - I recall the newsagent/confectionery which was at the end of the row of shops. I worked in the fruit and veg shop which was owned by Miss Braniff.

I can't remember the Brookeborough Hall. Was it near where the railway line used to cross Sandown Road. (I'll bet they regret closing that line)

Les - #50 Sandown Road would I think put you near the Confectionery Shops? (In Australia they are called Milk Bars)

1956 to 1958, might be a bit early but I reckon a lady called May used to run one of the shops.

My father often had a pint in Paddy Lambs on the way home from work.

Anyhow, as they say, "Them's the memories."

Cheers.

EllCee

« Reply #7 on: July 05, 2006, 08:36:38 AM »
There was one shop on the opposite corner to #50, and it may indeed have been owned by "May".  The name jingles a tiny bell in my addled brain.  She lived in a flat above the shop.

I remember going in there each Saturday with our coupons to get the week's sweet ration.

IrishPost

« Reply #8 on: August 13, 2006, 04:49:53 AM »
G'day Members,

You probably didn't even miss me but I have been off line from this Site, apparently due to Cookie problems and so after several dry runs here I am again.

Cheers from Australia.

Christopher

« Reply #9 on: August 13, 2006, 04:53:00 AM »
Good to have you here again IrishPost, Christopher 

Mageeka

« Reply #10 on: August 27, 2006, 02:29:46 AM »
Hello there Digger
I welcome you to the site.  We are indeed a friendly bunch.   Well that is (Ahem,) most of the time
Hell we wouldnt be Irish if we we didnt have our ups and downs.  We will be gentle with you now.

You'll Keep ! :)

Have some Belfast relatives living in Brisbane.
Have a good one

maitland

« Reply #11 on: September 14, 2006, 06:42:46 AM »
g/day mate i just live across the ditch from you and i used to live in holland drive and that was pretty close to you when you lived in gods country

IrishPost

« Reply #12 on: September 14, 2006, 11:46:45 AM »
g/day mate i just live across the ditch from you and i used to live in holland drive and that was pretty close to you when you lived in gods country

Yes indeed, I know Holland Drive well.

I went to St Joseph's until 1960.

Go the Wallabies. ;)

Christopher

« Reply #13 on: September 14, 2006, 12:54:03 PM »

That must have been either 26 or 28 Holland Drive.

maitland

« Reply #14 on: September 14, 2006, 10:33:05 PM »
how did you know it was 26 or 28 holland drive and facing st.josephs
bob