Author Topic: Australia Calling  (Read 257626 times)

Christopher

Re: Australia Calling
« Reply #15 on: September 15, 2006, 06:21:47 AM »
G. Maitland lived at 26 and R. Maitland lived at 28

maitland

« Reply #16 on: September 15, 2006, 07:01:10 AM »
my grandfather and uncle george kived in 26 andwe lived in 28

while on the subject of family my uncle owned sweet shop facing workingmans club and one on holland driive

IrishPost

« Reply #17 on: September 15, 2006, 10:12:42 AM »
Sweet Shop on Holland Drive

The Sweet Shop on Holland Drive as I recall was near St Joseph's and it was owned by the same family who owned the one on Sandown Road.

The lady who ran the one one Sandown Road, near the Bus Stop was known to us all as May.

Cheers.

maitland

« Reply #18 on: September 15, 2006, 11:53:03 AM »
I think the shop you are thinking of beside the bus stop may have been owned by a woman named may but the one im referring to was the first down from the corner,cycle was on the corner then.These are great sites,i only went in to find out about my grand father and now i even know what height he was and the colour of his eyes.If you know anyone looking for ancesters that had been in the fire service its a great place for imformation

EllCee

« Reply #19 on: September 15, 2006, 12:39:59 PM »
You are probably right.  The shop I was talking about was on the corner of Halstein Drive and the Sandown Rd.
"I may not agree with you, but I respect your opinion"   "You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it"

maitland

« Reply #20 on: September 15, 2006, 12:52:56 PM »
I forgot about that shop,i knew a family mccrea he sold milk and buttermilk on horse and cart they lived about there.The son had a website about ballyhackamore great site lots of old photos i was even able to pick myself out in a big photo taken at top of sandown road.I have lost the bookmark on it but if i find it i will post
bob

EllCee

« Reply #21 on: September 15, 2006, 06:09:29 PM »
"i knew a family mccrea he sold milk and buttermilk on horse and cart they lived about there."

I remember them well.  I mentioned the horse and cart elswhere. 

And there was Jackson, who had a dairy opposite the chapel/beside the bank.  I used to go to Strandtown with Fat Jim Jackson ;)
"I may not agree with you, but I respect your opinion"   "You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it"

Christopher

« Reply #22 on: September 15, 2006, 06:34:03 PM »
I used to go to a little grocery shop in Holland something. There was a pub on the corner. I thought the pub was owned by two sisters.

The 1960 Directory of Belfast and Northern Ireland is a handy volume

EllCee

« Reply #23 on: September 15, 2006, 06:48:24 PM »
I used to go to a little grocery shop in Holland something. There was a pub on the corner. I thought the pub was owned by two sisters.

The 1960 Directory of Belfast and Northern Ireland is a handy volume

Holland Drive?  The pub is still there, though now it's also a restaurant called "The Point".  I remember helping after it was blown up in the 1970s.

Did the little shop have a split door?  I have a vague recollection.

maitland

« Reply #24 on: September 15, 2006, 11:40:26 PM »
the pub on the corner on the corner of holland drive was originally joe ellwoods,he had a sister called holy anne who had a pub in mt pottinger never was in it but heard she always got rid of the married men on pay night when they only had had a few wouldn't be many in this world today like her.

andy

« Reply #25 on: July 17, 2007, 07:55:16 PM »
hi "Irish post" how would one go about finding a school friend who went
to Australia in the 50s.his name is Mervin Davidson he emigrated with
his mum and sister Margaret  [they actually went to new zeland but i
believe he met a girl and went to live in australia] is there any way off
tracking him down, i do not have a clue what part of Australia he went to.
yy u r yy u b i c u r yy 4 me

Mageeka

« Reply #26 on: July 18, 2007, 03:38:18 AM »
Irish Post
What part of OZ are you in ? I am going to Brisbane and Melbourne in the Fall of next year. Which of the two cities would you reccomend ?

IrishPost

« Reply #27 on: July 18, 2007, 04:58:53 AM »
hi "Irish post" how would one go about finding a school friend who went
to Australia in the 50s.his name is Mervin Davidson he emigrated with
his mum and sister Margaret  [they actually went to new zeland but i
believe he met a girl and went to live in australia] is there any way off
tracking him down, i do not have a clue what part of Australia he went to.

G'day Andy, sorry mate, I wouldn't have a clue. Although we have a comparatively small population, its a big country and not knowing what State your mate might be in, makes it even harder.

Irish Post

What part of OZ are you in ? I am going to Brisbane and Melbourne in the Fall of next year. Which of the two cities would you reccomend ?

I like them both but they are different and Queensland is much hotter than Victoria and that is why I prefer to live in the southern states.

Brisbane has a slower pace and compared to Sydney or Melbourne it is like a big country town. If you've got a bit of time up you sleeve, after having a look around Brisbane, get out of the city and have a bit of a look around the countryside and beaches. It will be quite hot in Australia and more so in the northern parts from say November through to February.

I recall a few year ago spending Christmas Day near Brisbane, we had no air conditioning and the temp was 40% C.!!

Melbourne is the grand old lady of Australia (rather like Boston) and it is here you can soak up some culture which should include a visit to The Shrine of Remembrance, but again you also need to get out of the city and have a bit of drive around the countryside.

Best wishes from The Land Down Under.

Cheers.

Mageeka

« Reply #28 on: July 18, 2007, 11:17:00 PM »
Thans ever so much irish Post  Will have a good look around

fulton

« Reply #29 on: August 04, 2007, 11:47:36 AM »
G'day, Mageeka,
There is no choice!!!!! Melbourne it is.

Fulton.