Author Topic: Australia Calling  (Read 255792 times)

sj

Re: Australia Calling
« Reply #4575 on: March 21, 2018, 10:41:05 AM »
I am going to post on this thread as it would be a pity to see it disappear.
Commonwealth games start in two weeks at the Golg Coast outside Brisbane?  Anyone else out there. :)

This is my original post which you can now read?? ???
I'm patient with stupidity but not with those who are proud of it ...

geraldine williamson

« Reply #4576 on: March 22, 2018, 07:26:31 AM »
Hey there...no worries (my error in reading your comment!)...having read again I do most humbly apologise, for as they say over here "jumpin' the gun"    G.  ;)

Moorfield Street

« Reply #4577 on: March 23, 2018, 12:08:58 AM »
I am going to post on this thread as it would be a pity to see it disappear.
Commonwealth games start in two weeks at the Golg Coast outside Brisbane?  Anyone else out there. :)

SJ      We will be in Brisbane, the 2nd week in June from Wollongong.   How about another meet-up?     David & Hazel.

sj

« Reply #4578 on: March 24, 2018, 04:13:48 AM »
Hey there...no worries (my error in reading your comment!)...having read again I do most humbly apologise, for as they say over here "jumpin' the gun"    G.  ;)

It's O.K. Geraldine...no bones broken? :)

sj

« Reply #4579 on: March 24, 2018, 04:19:12 AM »
SJ      We will be in Brisbane, the 2nd week in June from Wollongong.   How about another meet-up?     David & Hazel.

Hello David,

So Wintering in the tropics.  Only money people can do that so glad to know that the uppers are not showing .? :D   I have not been very active here but intend to be soon.  I am off on holidays at that time Davis.  Vietnam & Cambodia are the places this year so unfortunately can't meet you.
I have been presumptive  .are you coming on holidays and how is the health...Sam

parkie

« Reply #4580 on: April 13, 2018, 12:19:17 PM »
Hi SJ have you been following or attending the Olympics?  the aussies are blizting the opposition but i see from another thread on BF that a gymnist from Nr Ireland has picked up a gold medal - good on him eh! think from memory his name was Rhys McClenghan - haven't seen that mentioned on aussie news stations? spell  check isn't working - sorry!!!

sj

« Reply #4581 on: April 13, 2018, 11:29:58 PM »
Hello Parkie,

My goodness have the Olympics come around again??? :D   I heard about the gymnast from N.I. and that was some feat.  I also saw another athlete from N.I. who finished 4th in 200 metres final or maybe 100 metres but generally their boxers who in the past have won medals don't seem to have done too well.  Hope that you are well.  Ever hear from Tommy .?
We had some English relations stay here last week and they attended the Commonwealth games.  They also complained about Australian commentators being one eyed but English commentators are worse.  I can remember David Coleman commentating on a 1500M race once and never talking about the athlete leading the race, and eventual winner , because they were not English. :o

parkie

« Reply #4582 on: April 17, 2018, 03:24:32 PM »
Hello Parkie,

My goodness have the Olympics come around again??? :D   I heard about the gymnast from N.I. and that was some feat.  I also saw another athlete from N.I. who finished 4th in 200 metres final or maybe 100 metres but generally their boxers who in the past have won medals don't seem to have done too well.  Hope that you are well.  Ever hear from Tommy .?
We had some English relations stay here last week and they attended the Commonwealth games.  They also complained about Australian commentators being one eyed but English commentators are worse.  I can remember David Coleman commentating on a 1500M race once and never talking about the athlete leading the race, and eventual winner , because they were not English. :o
Ooops !! sorry SJ senior moment meant Commonwealth Games :D  didn't hear about the athlete who finished 4th in 200/100 metres but well done to them - Closing ceremony has come under some fire  which is a bit of a downer seeing they all ran fairly smoothly up until then  except for the odd transport issue, but then Peter Beattie stepped up & accepted the blame - Haven't heard from Tommy I do wonder about him & hope he is ok & if you are looking in SG I wish you all the best  :)

sj

« Reply #4583 on: June 05, 2018, 09:30:46 AM »
It's now June and near the shortest day of the year?/   Have been on holidays in Vietnam and Cambodia.  It was sheer luxury to be driven around in a big 4 wheel drive.   Had a driver and tour guide in an area and then they took us to the airport and  flew to the next region.  Seems to be a very liberal communist govt and there are many churches in Vietnam.  Lots of poor people but  enjoyed the trip and saw Ankor Wat.  Unfortunately  lost lots of photos but came home with some photographic memories.It was very cheap. :) Booked the holiday through a travel agent in Hanoi.

brianmckeever

« Reply #4584 on: June 05, 2018, 11:53:52 AM »
Vietnam and Cambodia?  Sounds a treat.My wife and I have tickets to Burma booked for November.We, also, will have the services of a driver.Havn't  we done well? :D

sj

« Reply #4585 on: June 06, 2018, 05:29:50 AM »
Vietnam and Cambodia?  Sounds a treat.My wife and I have tickets to Burma booked for November.We, also, will have the services of a driver.Havn't  we done well? :D

Good to hear from you.

I would be interested in finding out who you booked with and at the end what you think about it as a holiday trip.  Recently a friend described his trip as the best one that he has had in many years.  You are certainly going at the right time of the year. :)

brianmckeever

« Reply #4586 on: June 07, 2018, 04:42:00 AM »
Sufficient to say, Sam, That we are not booked with an agency that would possibly go belly-up.We are on a scheduled Singapore Airlines flight from Auckland with just the one stop in Singapore and then on to Yangon.

sj

« Reply #4587 on: June 07, 2018, 08:23:03 AM »
  So did you book everything yourself Brian.  We took a tailormade holiday through a travel agent in Hanoi but there were only two of us on the holiday.? :)

brianmckeever

« Reply #4588 on: June 07, 2018, 09:14:42 AM »
We used skyscanner.com and got the best deal which wasn't necessarily the cheapest.We will have 16 days in Burma and can make use of our son-in-law's driver.He, with our daughter and family, has been in Yangon since 2016.I believe NZ$1 is worth about 1000 Burmese kyat and people trade in dufflebags of cash. :)

sj

« Reply #4589 on: June 07, 2018, 09:23:27 AM »
I must look at that site Brian.
Yes the currencies are sometimes a heart stopper.  I tipped a porter 10,000 Dong and then realised that I could breath easily when I calculated it was 50  ;) [size=78%]cents.[/size]