Author Topic: Australia Calling  (Read 282774 times)

JohnKelly

Re: Australia Calling
« Reply #4680 on: May 10, 2020, 12:32:53 PM »
So do I John, I have been in just about all of them NSW and Victoria doing it the best way on motorcycle staying in pubs motels and B&B.

Whoa! - what a way to go, we travelled mostly by car and caravan or by train, the only State we haven't been to is WA; we enjoy NSW, Victoria and Tasmania mainly because the towns are within striking distance within one day, whereas in Queenland you have to keep an eye on the distance between towns in regards to fuel etc.

Two places stick in our minds and that would be the high country in Victoria and the west coast of Tasmania especially the world heritage area.

https://www.travelvictoria.com.au/regions/highcountry/

https://parks.tas.gov.au/explore-our-parks/tasmanian-wilderness-world-heritage-area-(twwha)

What type of motorcycle did you ride?

Roadracer

« Reply #4681 on: May 11, 2020, 09:14:43 PM »
Ditto John, some of my favourite area's, the Snowies and down into the Vic high country been doing it nearly every year. Mountain rides are my favourite, did Tassie a few years ago will be going back. Been down your way too, Healesville/ Reefton Spur was there after the fires. I have a few bikes but my main tourer is a Suzuki GSX1400.

JohnKelly

« Reply #4682 on: May 12, 2020, 02:22:33 AM »
Ditto John, some of my favourite area's, the Snowies and down into the Vic high country been doing it nearly every year. Mountain rides are my favourite, did Tassie a few years ago will be going back. Been down your way too, Healesville/ Reefton Spur was there after the fires. I have a few bikes but my main tourer is a Suzuki GSX1400.

Did a Google on the Suzuki GSX1400, lovely looking bike and I like the traditional look.

My wife's brother in law who lives near Lisburn, Northern Ireland is a mad collector of vintage Motto Guzzi and I think is well known in those circles; also my wife's brother who lives in Sydney has a hobby of restoring vintage motor bikes and is currently working on a Norton.

Even though I have a basic interest in motor bikes especially vintage ones, I have only ridden as a passenger many years ago.

I also have an interest in vintage tractors.

Two of my uncles who live in rural County Down were keen on motor bikes and the only time they ever left Northern Ireland was to go to the Island of Man TT.

The only time I ever went to the motor bike races was just outside of Newtownards towards Belfast on Bradshaw's Brae, it was in a big field and I always remember a rider called Tommy Orr and he rode a Dot; funny how certain things stick in your memory from so long a ago.

I also remember from those days that the RUC rode the Royal Enfield, not sure of their current model but here in Victoria the police ride BMW's.

You will probably laugh at this but I like to see a rider sitting up straight on a motor bike and not bent over the fuel tank. :)

No doubt you would be aware of the race track here at Phillip Island here in Victoria.

Anyhow, I hope isolation doesn't cruel you style and you can get back on the bike ASAP.

Cheers for now.

Roadracer

« Reply #4683 on: May 12, 2020, 09:32:11 AM »
Would that maybe have been Noel Orr and Tommy Robb at that scrambles meeting.
I have a big collection of bikes back to the sixties in Oz, I am back in NI at the moment waiting to get out on my Suzuki GSX1200S Bandit.
Don't go to the races in Oz much only when my mate Jeremy McWilliams races I would usually catch up with him. No racing over here this year :(

JohnKelly

« Reply #4684 on: May 13, 2020, 04:32:03 AM »
Would that maybe have been Noel Orr and Tommy Robb at that scrambles meeting.
I have a big collection of bikes back to the sixties in Oz, I am back in NI at the moment waiting to get out on my Suzuki GSX1200S Bandit.
Don't go to the races in Oz much only when my mate Jeremy McWilliams races I would usually catch up with him. No racing over here this year :(

Noel Orr and Tommy Robb, yeah that makes more sense; the other thing that sticks in my mind is that one of them rode a James or maybe I've got that wrong to. :)

Cheers.

Roadracer

« Reply #4685 on: May 14, 2020, 07:18:16 PM »
Noel went on to be a leading motorcycle dealer on the Castlereagh Road achieving good sales for Honda, the shop is no longer there.
Tommy is still kicking as far as I know living in England he was better known for his road racing
James where around in those days a lot of them had Villiers engines but I'm not sure what they rode its just a little bit before my time.

JohnKelly

« Reply #4686 on: May 24, 2020, 01:54:12 PM »
Ever been to the Northern Territory, nice to visit but not during the wet season, the heat is unbearable at that time of the year.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2020-05-24/nt-tourism-coronavirus-lockdown-kakadu-litchfield-national-parks/12235336

moorsy

« Reply #4687 on: May 29, 2020, 01:27:48 AM »

Only in OZ. ::)

[size=78%]https://www.bbc.com/news/world-australia-52843846[/size]

And he had a "BIG KNIVE " in his pants   " a new name for it maybe "?
i,m out of my mind,but feel free to leave a message.

JohnKelly

« Reply #4688 on: July 10, 2020, 06:54:04 AM »
My fellow Australians, looks like Victoria is in a bit of trouble,

kraftcheese

« Reply #4689 on: July 10, 2020, 07:39:14 AM »
Good one John. :)
Omnia in finem bona sunt. Si non bona non finis est.

mcd

« Reply #4690 on: August 02, 2020, 02:21:37 AM »
SITE NOT WORKING
Light travels faster than sound, This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak