Author Topic: donegall road  (Read 19164 times)

desmond147

donegall road
« on: January 17, 2012, 03:22:43 PM »
hi everyone,hope you all had good new year.just looking for friends,people who lived ,and still do,on donegall road.i lived in coolbeg street,gone now!! i went to kelvin sec school,mid 60s.my name is desmond campbell,dessie. be nice to hear from anyone still around.i live in manchester now.still get back "home" when i can.things have changed alot since i lived there,but still got lots of happy memories.des

andy

Re: donegall road
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2012, 08:06:25 PM »
hi desmond,  i lived in bentham street btm,of clay hill,  i attended linfield secondary, i left
                  bentham street 1958 went into the clothing trade,  was a member of donegall
                  road methodist church and was in the 38th B.B.  i now live in scotland have
                  done from 1974 just outside stirling.
yy u r yy u b i c u r yy 4 me

shauneen

« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2012, 10:36:23 PM »
hi my name is patsy mccann neemoreland i lived in coolfin went to linfield i now live in canada would be lovely to hear from someone there   patsy mccann

Notsoyoungbill

« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2012, 11:24:07 PM »
Hi

I lived in Donegall Avenue and went to St. Simon's Primary and Fane Street.  My pal Roy Greer went to Kelvin.  Was also in St Simon's CLB

shauneen

« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2012, 07:14:44 AM »
good to hear from you where do you live now did i mention i lived in canada

Notsoyoungbill

« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2012, 12:11:02 PM »
Been married nearly 40 years and living all that time in the East Down area.  Where in Canada are you? I often visit family there - greater Toronto area but possibly all from N.I. settle there initially!

Bill

Notsoyoungbill

« Reply #6 on: October 14, 2012, 12:23:55 PM »
Was there a guy named George Corry lived in Coolfin Street?  he worked for a company called Anchor and drove a wee works van.  George, if he is still alive, would probably be late sixties.
There used to be a very old, possibly late Georgian graveyard around there.  Think it was a shortcut into Blythe Street.  I know it's developed now with houses but I wonder if those residents realise that they are living on top of the "ghosts of Belfast!"

Can anyone remember the signal box at the junction of Fane Street and Lorne Street? Just below Tate's Avenue Bridge on the Lisburn Road side.  It fascinated me as a kid.

In 1966 the Ulster Museum had a major (for then) display on the Battle of the Somme - July 1916.  It was the 50th Anniversary then.  I visited it virtually every week that summer when I was on school holiday. It's hard to believe that it will shortly be 100 years since then and 50 years from those long summer days when I took the shortcuts to the Lisburn Road, then along the side of Methodist College to the museum and those hours of looking at the exhibition through the eyes of a 13 year old.  Innocent days indeed and memories of a childhood which, if not totally carefree, did offer opportunities to be alone and dip in and out of reality.

B

shauneen

« Reply #7 on: October 14, 2012, 06:35:17 PM »
i didnt know anyone by that  name in coolfin street but i do rember going to the museum and then we would go to the botanic gardens i livevancouver b.c did you know anyone that went to linfield school also i worked in the match factory across from celtic park where they had greuhound racing

dadobreezer

« Reply #8 on: October 14, 2012, 07:25:36 PM »
Hi, my name is sheril kitson I lived in donegall gardens, left early 70s. Have passed the area a few times but Half of it has gone now.

Notsoyoungbill

« Reply #9 on: October 14, 2012, 11:00:47 PM »
I think I may have went to school with your brother but can't remember his first name.  We played rugby for Fane street.  you are the same age as one of my sisters I think...Pat.

As for the match factory, i was blown out of bed the night it was bombed in the seventies!

shauneen

« Reply #10 on: October 14, 2012, 11:21:27 PM »
i have 3 brothers tommy who i am sorry to say has passed away  my other brothers are billy moreland and david did you know them
where do you live now

Notsoyoungbill

« Reply #11 on: October 15, 2012, 01:19:28 PM »
Was Tommy also known as Thomas?  I did go to school with at least one of them from 64-69

Bill

RabRow

« Reply #12 on: October 15, 2012, 09:01:00 PM »
Was there a guy named George Corry lived in Coolfin Street?  he worked for a company called Anchor and drove a wee works van.  George, if he is still alive, would probably be late sixties.
There used to be a very old, possibly late Georgian graveyard around there.  Think it was a shortcut into Blythe Street.  I know it's developed now with houses but I wonder if those residents realise that they are living on top of the "ghosts of Belfast!"

Can anyone remember the signal box at the junction of Fane Street and Lorne Street? Just below Tate's Avenue Bridge on the Lisburn Road side.  It fascinated me as a kid.

In 1966 the Ulster Museum had a major (for then) display on the Battle of the Somme - July 1916.  It was the 50th Anniversary then.  I visited it virtually every week that summer when I was on school holiday. It's hard to believe that it will shortly be 100 years since then and 50 years from those long summer days when I took the shortcuts to the Lisburn Road, then along the side of Methodist College to the museum and those hours of looking at the exhibition through the eyes of a 13 year old.  Innocent days indeed and memories of a childhood which, if not totally carefree, did offer opportunities to be alone and dip in and out of reality.

B

Nsyb,Youve got me puzzled about the signal box at the junction of Lorne St and Fane St. To my re-collection Lorne St runs between Lower Windsor Ave and Tates Ave.  :-\

Use to go to the museum too and can remember them having 'pictures'(movies) for a while on a Saturday morning.

shauneen

« Reply #13 on: October 15, 2012, 11:50:22 PM »
my brother was known as junior moreland just were did you live did you know anyone from hunter streey or tierny streetmy cousins lived there hazel and micheal moreland

Notsoyoungbill

« Reply #14 on: October 16, 2012, 10:25:40 AM »
Right about Lorne Street!  I remember now.  It was. of course Gt. Northern Street, bottom of Donnybrook St.  Time fades memories which is why its good to get them down somewhere.

Re Donegall Gardens, we lived in Donegall Avenue before moving to Lisburn Road in late sixties.  I think I remember you playing with my sisters - Ann and Pat.  I did know and play with a lad called Kitson from Donegall Gardens though.

Bill