Author Topic: donegall road  (Read 18089 times)

RabRow

Re: donegall road
« Reply #15 on: October 16, 2012, 01:36:02 PM »
Right about Lorne Street!  I remember now.  It was. of course Gt. Northern Street, bottom of Donnybrook St.  Time fades memories which is why its good to get them down somewhere.

Re Donegall Gardens, we lived in Donegall Avenue before moving to Lisburn Road in late sixties.  I think I remember you playing with my sisters - Ann and Pat.  I did know and play with a lad called Kitson from Donegall Gardens though.

Bill

Same here with the aul memory. Some things are like just yesterday and others no re-collection at all until talking with some aul mates about times gone past and it joggs thre memory. :)

edrite

« Reply #16 on: October 16, 2012, 02:58:32 PM »
Hello Folks
               The old Graveyard between Donegall Rd and Bentham+ Matilda St ! !.
              Before the present housing development   it was the Donegall Rd Swings
              It was a ''Paupers '' Burial place for the Belfast Workhouse which was
              in Corry's Building which was / is inside what is at  present the
              Belfast City Hospital A man called Martin was the caretaker of the Swings
                                                                                            edrite

Notsoyoungbill

« Reply #17 on: October 17, 2012, 03:06:11 PM »
I remember the graveyard and the cut through to Matilda Street.  I thought it was Blythe Street but maybe it just led to Blythe Street.  Isn't it strange how many "rat runs" we knew in the area then?  Today, of course, the rat runs are to avoid the traffic in the city.

Can anyone remember the Bog Meadows and the sand football pitches?  I also recall the river running through them in the days before the M1 was started at the bottom of Broadway.

Had loads of friends there and it would be nice if we could tie up again.  I met Shylock when she and her husband were here a few years ago. Nice experience and a nice couple too. Spend an evening with then going down memory lane although her husband is an Aussi.  Think he just listened in wonderment.

Wonder if Gordon Boyd, Henry McCleary, Alison Meaney, Barbara Burrell, John Wright, Pauline his sister and Doreen Dunn are still around.  All from Donegall/Lisburn Road area.

Bill

Livey

« Reply #18 on: October 27, 2012, 08:28:24 PM »
I remember the signal box, a man called Hopson from Soudan street worked in the box, his wife used to send his "peace" up to him through us kids and Mr. Hopson would let us change the signals and answer the bells that would be sending messages, as kids we though we were " no goats toes"
Livey
Livey

shauneen

« Reply #19 on: October 27, 2012, 10:29:03 PM »
do you remember when the lagen overflowed in roden and we all where paddling in it
there are so many good memories but lots of bad ones too

Livey

« Reply #20 on: October 28, 2012, 01:10:29 PM »
I remember the graveyard and the cut through to Matilda Street.  I thought it was Blythe Street but maybe it just led to Blythe Street.  Isn't it strange how many "rat runs" we knew in the area then?  Today, of course, the rat runs are to avoid the traffic in the city.

Can anyone remember the Bog Meadows and the sand football pitches?  I also recall the river running through them in the days before the M1 was started at the bottom of Broadway.

Had loads of friends there and it would be nice if we could tie up again.  I met Shylock when she and her husband were here a few years ago. Nice experience and a nice couple too. Spend an evening with then going down memory lane although her husband is an Aussi.  Think he just listened in wonderment.

Wonder if Gordon Boyd, Henry McCleary, Alison Meaney, Barbara Burrell, John Wright, Pauline his sister and Doreen Dunn are still around.  All from Donegall/Lisburn Road area.

Bill
Livey

edrite

« Reply #21 on: October 28, 2012, 02:37:57 PM »
Hi Shauneen
                  The Lagan is a bit away from Roden St. It was the Blackstaff in Roden,
                  It came  down from the Bog Meadows  through the Monarch Laundry  to get there .
                                                                                            edrite

Notsoyoungbill

« Reply #22 on: October 28, 2012, 03:52:32 PM »
Yes I was the Blackstaff.  The Lagan is some distance away.  I remember the flood and the electricity from the overhead street lights giving shocks to the idiots wading in it!

I got one!!!

B

dadobreezer

« Reply #23 on: October 28, 2012, 04:00:56 PM »
Notsoyoungbill was it William kitson you knew he had a sister called sheril they lived in the gardens

Notsoyoungbill

« Reply #24 on: October 28, 2012, 04:23:40 PM »
I believe it was William. Lived at Tavanagh Street end of his street

shauneen

« Reply #25 on: October 28, 2012, 05:03:29 PM »
didnt the rive run under abridge in roden street we called it the blackie river my name was patsy moreland and i lived in coolfin street did you know anyone there

Notsoyoungbill

« Reply #26 on: October 28, 2012, 05:56:50 PM »
Patsy

Seems strange but most of my friends were in the what's now referred to as "Village" area or the Lisburn road.  You were over the bridge from us which was a diffefent place in those days.  I did go to Richview Youth Club in a Saturday night though!

shauneen

« Reply #27 on: October 29, 2012, 03:54:20 AM »
when we were kids we loved to go to the museum at the botanical gardens did you ever go there

arkie

« Reply #28 on: November 03, 2012, 06:14:43 PM »
i didnt know anyone by that  name in coolfin street but i do rember going to the museum and then we would go to the botanic gardens i livevancouver b.c did you know anyone that went to linfield school also i worked in the match factory across from celtic park where they had greuhound racing
     did you know a girl called maud, don't rem. her surname. she worked in the match factory.

shauneen

« Reply #29 on: November 12, 2012, 05:58:02 PM »
do you know her last name  i dont remember a nyone by the name maud my name is patsy moreland