Author Topic: johnny venus tattoo studio  (Read 3192 times)

joxer

johnny venus tattoo studio
« on: January 18, 2012, 05:40:58 PM »
hi i`m a tattooist who was trained by a man by the name of Freddie Coates who used to work for Johnny Venus in Belfast in the late sixtys early seventys . at the moment i`m writing an article for a tattoo magazine about the old school tattooers ,their studios and their lives as compared with modern tattooists , please if you have any storys you would like to share i would greatly appreciate them . thanks folks !

celticmad75

Re: johnny venus tattoo studio
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2012, 11:52:14 AM »
Johnny is by far the best in Belfast at what he does. Hes still going in Gresham St above Ken lewsleys adult book store, Johnny was originally there and then sold it to Pert and when Johnny came back from the states he took it back and has been there ever since. Hes a mad country and western fan and i personally have had to endure hours and hours of the same cd whilst having a full sleeve done a while back lol. Hes also big into his greyhounds with big phil his assistant and his dogs compete regularly up and down the country. Johnny trained quite a few tattooists in his time and although his style of tattooing is oldschool, this style is preferred by tons of people in Belfast.

Lilyrose

« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2012, 08:57:07 PM »
Do you have any pictures of your tattoos that you could show me.Send it by pm if you don't want everyone to see. I'm interested in his work and does he work freehanded ?. It would save me going to Coleraine to Sailor Bills .
DILLIGAF!

Lilyrose

« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2012, 03:10:06 PM »
Thanks for that Celticmad74,I got them   O0
DILLIGAF!

celticmad75

« Reply #4 on: February 29, 2012, 03:10:57 AM »
You're very welcome  ;)

slywolf

« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2017, 04:51:13 PM »
hi i`m a tattooist who was trained by a man by the name of Freddie Coates who used to work for Johnny Venus in Belfast in the late sixtys early seventys . at the moment i`m writing an article for a tattoo magazine about the old school tattooers ,their studios and their lives as compared with modern tattooists , please if you have any storys you would like to share i would greatly appreciate them . thanks folks !
i had my first tattoo done by johnny in 1972 i was 13 years old he was in fortingail street, my friend and i walked from oxford street bus station all the way to fortingail street , we both had the same tattoo on the same arm when i got home my mother took to it with a nail brush and vim,,,,,,fortunately she realised it was a real tattoo and washed it up quickly,,,,,,i had my second done some 4 months after, i had 10 tattoo's done by johnny over the years all before i was 18 years old, that would carry a jail sentence for any tattooist now days.........ronnie