Author Topic: BELFAST TECH DAY SCHOOL 1942-1946  (Read 4472 times)

jcassells76

BELFAST TECH DAY SCHOOL 1942-1946
« on: January 21, 2012, 05:41:51 PM »
 :)  LOOKING FOR SCHOOLMATES AND MEMORIES OF BELFAST TECH  MR BROWNE MA Principal  Toffee Griffiths Maths teacher Dr Crawley Physics  Pansy Astle French and Football Coach  Mr Cusack History and many others  Any fellow pupils with additional memories THE ANTIQUATED HEATING SYSTEM WITH THE ENORMOUS IRON RADIATORS THAT RATTLED   THE SHOP ACROSS THE STREET WHERE WE BOUGHT BAGS OF BROKEN BISCUITS eg custard creams choc digestive jam puffs etc  High ceiling draughty classroom with massive blackboards covering one wall behind teachers raised dias  Teaching standards high as many of our teachers were lecturers also to Queens Students studying Engineering or Applied Science and Chemistry  Final examination was either or both Queen's and London Univ Matriculation  ENGLISH MATHS LANGUAGE PLUS 2 OTHER OPTIONAL SUBJECTS HAD TO PASSED AT THE ONE EXAMINATION  NO MODULES OR EASY STAGE PROGRESS ALLOWED IN THOSE DAYS  Anyone remember me or their days at the Tech post your memories jcassells76

laganbank

Re: BELFAST TECH DAY SCHOOL 1942-1946
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2012, 03:26:02 PM »
Hi,
I attended the Tech 1956 - 1958. I remember Mr Brown, Pansy Astle, Tommy (the commie) Cusack. Mr Harbinson, who married the French teacher whose name I cannot remember. We went on a school trip to Uberlingen, West Germany, on the shore of Lake Constance, in 1956. A mixture of boys from the Tech, and girls from the Commercial School which was also in the College building. A ten day holiday, with two days to get there and another two days back. Train and Ferrys - no flying then! Mr Harbinson and his wife used it as their honeymoon! I rather let down the system by leaving at 15 to start in the shipyard as a message boy, prior to becoming an apprentice electrician.
Regards,
David
Chambers, Shaw, Russell (all Banbridge), Slater/Sleator (Belfast/Co Armagh), McKaig (Belfast), Hanna(h) (Belfast), McClean (Belfast/Newtownards)

jcassells76

« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2012, 09:08:09 PM »
 HELLO LAGAN BANK YES HISTORY TEACHER CUSACK WAS ESPECIALLY 1942 -46 DURING WAR WHEN RUSSIANS WERE OUR FRIENDS WAS ALWAYS FULL OF PRAISE  HEAD MASTER BROWN WITH HIS LOVE OF LITERATURE AND POETRY WOULD PREACH PALGRAVES TREASURY OF ENGLISH POETRY AT US  FRENCH TEACHER IN 1940S WAS YOUNG FRESH FROM GRADUATION AND I BELIEVE HER NAME WAS Mc ilwrath or something similar  SHE WAS ATTRACTVE AND REALLY STIRRED UP OUR 16 YEAR OLD BLOSSOMING MANHOOD  HOWEVER BY MID 1950s SHE MAY HAVE GOT MARRIED WITH DIFFERENT NAME   WE HAD A MECHANICS TEACHER CALLED TAGGART AND A MISS ALLEN FOR  CHEMISTRY AND DR CRAWLEY OR CROWLEY FOR PHYSICS  I REMEMBER HARBINSON AS A YOUNG MAN THOUGH WAS NEVER IN HIS CLASS  I THINK HE HAD EARLIER BEEN A PUPIL THERE WAS A HOLIER THAN THOU TYPE OF TEACHER A REAL DRIP WHO TAUGHT BUSINESS STUDIES (OR COMMERCE AS IT WAS IN MY DAY)  CAN'T REMEMBER HIS NAME
  OLD TECH PUPILS COME OUT AND REVIVE OLD MEMORIES OF THE "Belfast Tech"  jcassells76

jcassells76

« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2012, 09:37:13 PM »
  AFTER FINISHING MY LAST MESSAGE REMEMBERED THE GYM TEACHER EX ARMY OR NAVY MAN CALLED KELLY WHO WOULD TAKE US TO ORMO BATHS FOR SWIMMING LESSONS OR WAS IT HOW TO AVOID DROWNING LESSONS      HIS TECHNIGUE WAS TO TO ATTACH A ROPE  UNDER YOUR ARMPITS  AND PULL YOU UP FROM 3 FT TO 6 FT END AND BACK AGAIN WITH ONE  OF BATH ATTENDANTS HELD YOUR NOSE UP ABOVE WATER  WHILST KELLY WOULD SHOUT USE YOR LEGS AND ARMS BOY !!  BY SHEER FRIGHT I LEARNT TO SWIM   NO RUBBER RINGS OR ARM BAND OR RUBBER MATS TO ASSIST YOU   BACK IN GYM IF YOU WERE NOT UP TO SCRATCH HE WOULD THROW A  LARGE HEAVY RUBBER BALL AT YOUR MIDRIFF  WHICH KIND KNOCKED YOU FOR SIX   ALSO SOMETIMES AS PUNISHMENT HE MADE YOU RUN THE GAUNTLET BETWEEN A DOUBLE LINE OF YOUR CLASSMATES WHIST THEY PUSHED SHOVED YOU ETC   STILL IT DID ME NO HARM ILEARNED QUICKLY HOW TO STAND UP FOR MYSELF WHICH KELLY BEING A OLD MILITARY MAN WANTED US TO ACHIEVE   jcassells76

bfsman

« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2015, 01:25:07 AM »
:)  LOOKING FOR SCHOOLMATES AND MEMORIES OF BELFAST TECH  MR BROWNE MA Principal  Toffee Griffiths Maths teacher Dr Crawley Physics  Pansy Astle French and Football Coach  Mr Cusack History and many others  Any fellow pupils with additional memories THE ANTIQUATED HEATING SYSTEM WITH THE ENORMOUS IRON RADIATORS THAT RATTLED   THE SHOP ACROSS THE STREET WHERE WE BOUGHT BAGS OF BROKEN BISCUITS eg custard creams choc digestive jam puffs etc  High ceiling draughty classroom with massive blackboards covering one wall behind teachers raised dias  Teaching standards high as many of our teachers were lecturers also to Queens Students studying Engineering or Applied Science and Chemistry  Final examination was either or both Queen's and London Univ Matriculation  ENGLISH MATHS LANGUAGE PLUS 2 OTHER OPTIONAL SUBJECTS HAD TO PASSED AT THE ONE EXAMINATION  NO MODULES OR EASY STAGE PROGRESS ALLOWED IN THOSE DAYS  Anyone remember me or their days at the Tech post your memories jcassells76

bfsman

« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2015, 01:31:06 AM »

Sammy Hawthorne

« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2015, 10:19:29 AM »
I attended BTHS ( Belfast Technical High school from. 1952-55.
Mr.Brown  (  Sanko ) was the Principal, he lived with his mother up the Newtownards Rd. I remember!
Would love to find Mr. Astle our French teacher.  He said  to me in the third year:  " Hawthorne , you will never speak French ". How right he was! Now 60+ years later! I live in Paris and still struggle to hear what they say!
I don't remember him as Football Coach?
John Harbinson was our English teacher and a neighbour of mine. He ended up as Principal of Belfast College of Business studies in the 1970/80s. Didn't know he married a wee French girl!
Fellow students were Sammy McKnight, Maurice Pinker, Rev. Harold ? ( Presbyterian Church ), Mc Murtry ( who wanted to be a Compositor for the Belfast Telegraph.
I was a member of the Old Boys Association in College St. Unfortunately when BTHS closed, it merged with Linfield Intermediate and some of the records disappeared. Tried years ago through Friends United to find others but no joy![size=78%] [/size]

Sandgroper

« Reply #7 on: November 18, 2015, 01:06:17 PM »
I was there from '53 to '56

Got sent to Sanko's office once and remember sitting there for a couple of hours
when in he comes, says what are you waiting for boy? Back to your classes and went into his \inner office.
Oh! the relief.

I remember Pansy as a footy coach.
At the school trials one Wednesday arvo I was playing on the wing
and Pansy was running along the touchline shouting at me.
"C'mon S>>>>>  you're playing like Mathews.
Jessie Mathews.""  Boom boom

Never had him for a French teacher. Two years I had a Miss Bradley and the
other year the young lady John Harbinson married, but I'm pretty sure the
wedding was after I left. Both Women were gorgeous.

JH was my English teacher for two years as well and the third year was new teacher
probably straight from College.

His introduction to us was a poem ( limerick) called The Pelican. I still remember it cos he said Hell.
Won us over completely.

A wonderful bird is the Pelican.
His beak can hold more than his belly can.
He can hold in his beak
Enough food for a week!
But I'll be darned if I know how the hellican?

sg

Sammy Hawthorne

« Reply #8 on: November 18, 2015, 01:49:43 PM »
Just remembered the French teacher who took us in year two, between Pansy Astles year 1&3.
Mr, Jaques was French and he taught us a lot about France, only trouble was he spoke to us in English, if we could sidetrack him. Introduced me to Jacques Tattie, for which I will always be grateful.

jcassells76

« Reply #9 on: November 18, 2015, 02:33:22 PM »
 To all who have posted in last week Great to hear your experiences some ten years after i attended the Tech Pansy on Wed trying to make me a goalkeeper Did play in schools cup team but turned tennis badminton and cricket after leaving school  Ii my day Goal keepers could be kicked charged bundled in net or even worse All the ref would get up or i'll book you  Pansy for French  History Cusack during WW2 Russia Stalin and Communism acceptable and our History Teacher was allowed to express his political viewpoint  Always regarded Mr Browne a cut above the other teachers always dressed like a real gent of the day
    Still would love to make contact with old pupils 1942-1946 class  jcassells76 >:D :(

Sammy Hawthorne

« Reply #10 on: November 18, 2015, 11:01:55 PM »
I remember we always adored Sanko! He was a real Gent of the old School!

I went to see him in the summer holidays of 1955 at his home when I was accepted for Royal Navy Apprentice School.
Mistook his Mother for his wife, she was so pleased. Made a young 15 year old very happy I recall.

Soulman

« Reply #11 on: January 01, 2016, 09:46:59 PM »
This was my old High School from which I have only happy memories.
I was one of the last intake in the late fifties and part of a group of guys who considered ourselves the hip elite...the ones who knew, loved & understood the new phenomenon...
           Rock 'n Roll..!!
We used to attend the dances in Inst.(next door) & it was there that Dave Glover paid me 10/= (my first paying gig) to sing, because the kids were clamouring for this new music & his Showband didn't know it..!!

About 15 years ago, when I was home on holiday from Canada, I visited Pansy Astle at his home near the Somerton Road. He was partially deaf, but otherwise unchanged, with the same biting wit. As we conversed, he interrupted me with "But you speak so beautifully!" to which I issued the rejoinder "You began that sentence with a conjunction!"  He absolutely howled with laughter as we sat sipping sherry & watching the cricket with the sound turned down.

I note that nobody has yet mentioned our legendary past pupils, such as brothers and International Soccer Stars Danny and Jackie Blanchflower.

I also vividly remember our Physics teacher, Mr McDowell who doubled as leader of Agnes St. Silver Band, and whose younger brother (also a friend of mine) Kenny, was lead singer of The Mad Lads & Sk'Boo in the sixties & seventies and remains a great singer today.

Yes, those were the days and I was glad to be part of them.

Frankie Connolly (ex Fugitives, Styx, Big Soul Band etc.)

Sammy Hawthorne

« Reply #12 on: January 02, 2016, 08:35:00 AM »
Soulman,

I never knew when the Tech closed, as I was away from 1955, but I met my late wife in the Inst dance in 1959. Remember well Dave Glover.

I cant sing any Pop song, never mind ' Those were the days '. Missed the Beatles in early 60s as I was abroad then !

Sorry to hear Pansy had hearing problems, but would love to talk to him now. I live in Paris, mais je ne parle pas francais bien. He said I never would !

Thanks for the memories.

LedlyHall

« Reply #13 on: May 30, 2017, 03:37:36 PM »
I attended 1952-1954. Teachers Dr Mc Comish. Mr Webb Physics. Mrs Robinson Math. Miss Bradley French. Mrs Green Commerce,wife of F.L Green author of Odd Man Out. Soccer coaches Pansy Astle,Kelly,McDonald. Won Junior Cup @ Cliftonville May 1953. Result B.T 7. Ballymena 1. Livingstone 3 Lawther 2 Stockman, White. Now Live San Diego 54yrs

macroyal

« Reply #14 on: May 31, 2017, 09:06:15 PM »
my old man must have been there in 46 as his 1st exam results are marked 47 there is also a small letter saying he passed the interview and all the best for the future from QUB and signed, dads name was Robert McILroy, but he would have been 26 by then, in for the duration of the war was with the BEF in France in 39 and fighting til discharged in Bergdorf Germany, january 46