Author Topic: BELFAST TECH DAY SCHOOL 1942-1946  (Read 4248 times)

samonty

Re: BELFAST TECH DAY SCHOOL 1942-1946
« Reply #15 on: July 14, 2018, 04:27:03 PM »
I was at Belfast tech 1957-59. I remember Pansy Astell well, if he was in a good mood his lessons were great, when in a bad mood he was a demon. Mr Fox taught Geography and a teach known as Hawkeye wood work. In his lesson I learnt that given a saw and wood I could make sawdust but not much else.  Every time I hear the hymn "Praise my soul the king of Heaven" I'm back in that big hall on morning assembly with Sanko Brown leading . There was department where day release young girls were taught commerce, there was one a dead ringer for Bridget Bardot which sent many a pubescent heart a flutter.

[email protected]

« Reply #16 on: September 10, 2018, 09:18:12 PM »

Hi I attended the THS in the late 1950's after 4 years in Ashfield Boys Secondary School. I am ever grateful to the THS for their excellent education. I too remember Miss Bradley, Messrs Brown, Astelle, Harbinson, Bowyer, Murphy, Cusack, Moag, Lunn and Ogburn.
I remember taking my bike through the heating house doors at the rear of the building. There were steps and then a narrow door with a high step over which the bike had to be lifted. Astelle called his bike his 'velocipede'.
Mr Moag inspired me as did, other members of the staff.
Mr Bowyer took some of us to his home on the Lansdowne Rd for dinner and then to the Friends Mtg House in the city centre. He taught me A level history.
I remember the morning assembly in the Hall of the College and the stain glass windows of famous engineers and scientists.
In London several years ago I met a fellow THS former pupil at a Baptism in All Souls COE, Langham Place. His grandson was being baptised. We had a chat.
I remember Pansy reacting to a pupil who fell sleep in his class. (You remember that the school closed at 5pm) It was the last class of the day and he suggested that we all tip toed out. 'Hopefully he will be here in the morning' was his comment.
Please get in touch.
Rev Dr Joseph Fell

samonty

« Reply #17 on: September 13, 2018, 05:04:52 PM »
Hi, I remember the big doors well, coming to school some times on my bike. The traffic was a lot easier in those days. There used to be a prefect hung out there to catch people like me coming in late. Got a few detentions from that. It's hard to imagine now a school closing at 5pm and in the winter going home in the dark. I never got around to doing any major exams I left a 15 and joined the RAF. My parents were both dead , I needed a job and a home and the RAF gave me both. I eventually did my GCE's when I was 30, I needed them for promotion in the RAF. I surprised myself by getting good grades and won an Air Ministry Prize for the best results of that year. What I had learnt at the Tech formed a good base to build on. All the stuff I had had crammed in to me at Tech finally made sense. Another odd thing I can remember at Tech is being singled out with other C of I boys to attend religious instruction classes with a C of I vicar. We had a few then it  petered out. The Wednesday afternoon "sports afternoon " was very useful as I had a little job doing delivering round Belfast a commercial journal. Always used to pop it in the post box except at Christmas when it would be delivered to the office desk and I got a tip. It was surprising the number of old Victorian buildings there were with antique lifts. The lift operator was usually an ex serviceman who took great delight in scaring young lads like me.  Best regards for now.

[email protected]

« Reply #18 on: September 20, 2018, 08:58:44 PM »

I remember Mss Bradley sending boys around C Floor for minor misdemeanours. Astelle asked a boy what he hoped to be and when the boy replied 'I want to be a doctor' Pansy replied 'Delusions of grandeur'.
Do you remember Astelle's comments about Tomato Ketchup? He commented that he did not want any boy from 'this institution' to run his mother's cooking, with 'that abominable substance - Tomato Ketchup!'
RE was taught by the Rev WJ Thompson of College Square Presbyterian Church. He was a bachelor and lived on the Lisburn Rd. He used to invite us to his home on a Friday night for chat and tea. WJT had a great heart for young people and was a Good Samaritan type person.
J Fell

Sammy Hawthorne

« Reply #19 on: September 22, 2018, 10:50:49 AM »
Joseph Fell, et, al.

You must have known a classmate of mine at BTHS 1952-55, called Harold Boyce who became a Presbyterian Minister?

I called to see him in the 1970/80s just before he passed away, he was living off the Belmont Rd.

Very glad to read your Post, with all the teachers names. We also bought broken biscuits opposite.

Sammy Hawthorne, see posts below 2014ish.

samonty

« Reply #20 on: September 24, 2018, 06:17:13 PM »
During my time at the Tech I got involved in drama. Helped out back stage when we staged Macbeth then took part as a woman in Murder in the Cathedral all about the murder of Thomas Becket. We were a sort of Greek chorus. I also had a part in Hamlet where we took part in a competition with other schools. I can't remember the name of the Teacher who did the drama, but I can still remember my opening lines from Murder in the Cathedral and Hamlet. I wish I could remember things I did last week as well  ???

Sammy Hawthorne

« Reply #21 on: September 24, 2018, 11:12:41 PM »
I left in 1955 at 15, to join the Royal Navy as an Artificer Apprentice. Met up there with Maurice Pinker who was a year ahead of me at BTHS.

Remember doing a Drama on stage, but like you samonty, I can't remember my 1 line! Seem to have spent most off stage time sliding along the polished wooden floor in our thick tights.

Went to the Old Boys Club a few times when back on leave to Belfast, but it folded soon after I think?