Author Topic: Is this Wolff Street?  (Read 12734 times)

bobdenn

Is this Wolff Street?
« on: February 05, 2012, 02:38:57 PM »

Wolff Street ?

Julius van Nostrom

Re: Is this Wolff Street?
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2012, 08:24:31 PM »
 My Auntie Minnie lived in Wolff Street and if this does indeed show it (it's so long ago) the observer would be looking up towards the Newtownards Road with Seaford Street opposite.

I was born a few years after my sister was killed as a result of a traffic accident in Wolff Street, an incident my father never really got over. For the rest of his life he always wore a black tie should he have been going out anywhere.

My maternal grandmother Lizzie McMicheal often did battle with the residents of Seaford Street in times of 'tension' and generally as a result of some parade or other.

It's a bloody shame that age dims the ability to recall with any degree of greater clarity - sadly. O0

mickybo

« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2012, 08:56:31 PM »
certainally looks like seaford st in the background, wasnt there a butchers shop at the corner?
Dont eat the yellow snow.

Julius van Nostrom

« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2012, 09:18:51 PM »
certainally looks like seaford st in the background, wasnt there a butchers shop at the corner?

That level of detail I couldn't manage Micky, but I do remember that end of the Newtownards Road being populated with a fair few shops and I think I'm right in saying that the 'Pop' cinema was quite near that junction on the same side of the road as Seaford Street.

bridge ender

« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2012, 05:17:31 PM »
Hi All
 it certainly looks like the entrance to Seaforde St. The Popular  Picture House known as The Pop was just below this junction as you say.at the corner of Youngs Row.

BE
Life is lived forwards and understood backwards.

Julius van Nostrom

« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2012, 09:06:58 PM »
Hi All
 it certainly looks like the entrance to Seaforde St. The Popular  Picture House known as The Pop was just below this junction as you say.at the corner of Youngs Row.

BE

That's the one BE - do you remember what the other cinema on the Newtownards Road was called?

bridge ender

« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2012, 10:14:42 PM »
Hi All

Julius  van Nostrom the other picture house was The New Princess on the same side but below Dee St. was done up like a palace wiith a tower.

BE
Life is lived forwards and understood backwards.

Julius van Nostrom

« Reply #7 on: February 06, 2012, 10:48:14 PM »
Hi All

Julius  van Nostrom the other picture house was The New Princess on the same side but below Dee St. was done up like a palace wiith a tower.

BE

Well done BE, it was commonly referred to as the Newun. O0

vision tech

« Reply #8 on: February 06, 2012, 10:54:33 PM »
i worked for fast taxis in the 70,s and we where at the corner off wolff st, we then moved over to the street between seaforde and the chapel, what was the street called?

Julius van Nostrom

« Reply #9 on: February 06, 2012, 11:09:22 PM »
i worked for fast taxis in the 70,s and we where at the corner off wolff st, we then moved over to the street between seaforde and the chapel, what was the street called?

Ooh, that one's testing the brain VT. :blink:

vision tech

« Reply #10 on: February 06, 2012, 11:22:14 PM »
see who gets it first :)

Moorfield Street

« Reply #11 on: February 07, 2012, 03:42:40 AM »
Vision tech. Austin St.       Was a Co-op milk boy there.

Julius van Nostrom

« Reply #12 on: February 07, 2012, 08:17:21 AM »
Vision tech. Austin St.       Was a Co-op milk boy there.

Aah, thanks MS. O0

fred g

« Reply #13 on: February 07, 2012, 08:01:36 PM »
definately wolff st.the lodge is st martins the two men in front were billy littlewood and tommy cooper. I was born and reared in wolff st.went savaltion army sunday school at the bottom on foundry st also went to beechfield school.The chip shop in the photo was the star but prefered the don  at corner of austin st. have a photo of  the 1953 coronation st  party

fred g

« Reply #14 on: February 07, 2012, 08:11:04 PM »
Sorry the chip shop at seaforde st corner was the favourite as can be seen by photo. the two ladies on left of photo were a mrs lavery and mrs hunsdale. The butchers shop at the corner was sydney johnstones