Author Topic: Is this Wolff Street?  (Read 12710 times)

Bilbo.

Re: Is this Wolff Street?
« Reply #30 on: August 19, 2012, 05:28:41 PM »
This certainly is Wolff Street. Billy Littlewood is pictured as a string boy. The W.P. is infact Billy Titterington along side Tommy Cooper(the taller of the two). They were coming back from the field around '58 or '59.
Billy Titterington lived with his mother in No. 22.

mjgib

« Reply #31 on: September 19, 2012, 12:45:35 PM »
Hi
My Granny (Lucy Davidson) owned the favourite chippy pictured in the photo at the start of this thread.
Sadly my Granny is no longer with us but it would be great to have a copy of the photo. I know myself and the rest of the family would love to have a copy. Does anyone know how I would go about getting the orginal so it can be scanned?
Many thanks

janmoranneil

« Reply #32 on: July 13, 2014, 04:26:24 PM »
Who posted this photo as it is our family photo? Yes, it is Wolff St - early sixties and this is my Uncle Billy Titterington, Master of St Martin's Lodge (adult left) bringing the men for a cuppa at my Grandma's - Tilly Titterington at no 22 - during a Twelfth Parade. Someone has posted that one of the boys is Billy Littlewood, my cousin? Where is Tommy Cooper? I met him at my dad's funeral in 77. Jimmy Titterington. Seaforde St is indeed opposite.

My Auntie Minnie lived in Wolff Street and if this does indeed show it (it's so long ago) the observer would be looking up towards the Newtownards Road with Seaford Street opposite.

I was born a few years after my sister was killed as a result of a traffic accident in Wolff Street, an incident my father never really got over. For the rest of his life he always wore a black tie should he have been going out anywhere.

My maternal grandmother Lizzie McMicheal often did battle with the residents of Seaford Street in times of 'tension' and generally as a result of some parade or other.

It's a bloody shame that age dims the ability to recall with any degree of greater clarity - sadly. O0

lincarsaja

« Reply #33 on: July 13, 2014, 05:17:44 PM »
Yes, everything Jan says above is so.   This is a photo of our Uncle Billy Titterington.  His brother-in-law was Jack Littlewood, at one time, Master of the Junior Orange Lodge.  Jack's son Billy may well have been one of the string holders, but I can't say which one - we need cousin Billy to declare!  Freddie G - I'm interested to hear you say that a Mrs Lavery lived in the street.  This is a name that crops up in my genealogy research - I would be interested to know more of her and her line. 

Mc Cartney has also been mentioned above.  I spent many summer holidays in Wolff Street as a child - my friends were Margaret McCartney and Margaret Hammill - I often wonder what became of them.

Wasn't Bourkes the Department store in the Newtownards Road?  I remember going there, and also the knitting/wool shop, as well as the sweet/newspaper shop on the corner.  Not forgetting the chippy shop the kids used to take me to for 'chips and peas'!!! :)

janmoranneil

« Reply #34 on: July 13, 2014, 05:37:36 PM »
I have checked my photo album and I have the original photo. Who posted it??? :)  :)

lincarsaja

« Reply #35 on: November 01, 2015, 02:49:27 PM »
From the belfast telegraph

Is this photo taken from the top of the street, looking down, or from the bottom of the street looking up?  In other words, can I see the dockyards in this photo?

If so, I think the car on the left might possibly have belonged to my uncle, Billy Titterington ?

billnl

« Reply #36 on: November 08, 2015, 12:34:13 PM »
My mum was from Wolff Street , Mena McCartney . We used to visit my grandfather William McCartney nearly every Saturday when I was younger . I seem to remember a little woman called Dote or something .

lincarsaja

« Reply #37 on: November 08, 2015, 11:05:42 PM »
I remember Margaret McCartney - I used to play with her when I visited my Grandmother living opposite the McCartneys.  Was it Mena who was a close friend of my aunt Gretta?

mac1165

Re: Mena McCartney
« Reply #38 on: July 02, 2019, 05:20:39 PM »

Hello billnl,

I have just read your post regarding your mum Mena, if fact your mum was my aunt my dad was William ( Sash)  Mena's brother, I am trying to compile a family tree but having left Belfast in the late 60's I am finding it rather difficult and I was wondering if you have any information. If you want I can give you my email and we can talk that way

Kind Regards

Alex McCartney

CMcG

« Reply #39 on: July 03, 2019, 07:33:09 AM »
Maybe a co-incidence of surname and street, but is the following from 1956 connected?

Other related notices mention son and daughter-in-law William and Sadie McCartney and grandchildren of 33 Jennymount Street, son and daughter-in-law Robert and Violet McCartney and grandchild of 34 North Howard Street, daughter and son-in-law Agnes and Hubert Keenan and grandchildren of Harbour Road Portavogie, daughter and son-in-law Wilhelmina and Richard Barry and grandchildren of 15 Botanic Bungalows, sister Ellen Watty of 17 Solway Street, sister Agnes McBlain of Nebraska USA, sister and brother-in-law Sarah and Thomas Davis of 1 Gotcha Street, sisters-in-law and brothers-in-law: Jeannie McCartney of 5 Kathleen Street; Deborah and Joseph Kirk of 21 Major Street; Ella and Jack Moffett of Millar Street; Wilhelmina and Samuel McClean, USA; Sadie and Bert Brevil, London; Kathleen and Robert Scully of 7 Ayr Street; Margaret Davidson of 5 Temple Street; Robert Longridge of 19 Vicarage Street; George and Margaret McCartney of 15 Roundhill Street.

The woman in the above notice is buried in grave D2 709 of Dundonald Cemetery, along with other folk:
https://dof.belfastcity.gov.uk/burialsearch/BurialSearch.aspx?GraveSection=D2&GraveNumber=709&CemeteryName=Dundonald%20Cemetery

Also in Dundonald Cemetery (with other folk in grave A1 211) is a William Thomas McCartney, whose last residence was given as 11 Wolff Street when he died in 1970:
https://dof.belfastcity.gov.uk/burialsearch/BurialSearch.aspx?GraveSection=A1&GraveNumber=211&CemeteryName=Dundonald%20Cemetery 

If there are any images posted above that are important to you, take your own copy - I cannot guarantee they will appear indefinitely.