Author Topic: Christ Church Derryaghy  (Read 8419 times)

doe

Re: Christ Church Derryaghy
« Reply #15 on: March 29, 2012, 05:11:51 PM »
okay it's been sent to you, you had a lot of information there, one of the lucky ones.

melv

« Reply #16 on: March 29, 2012, 05:57:30 PM »
Hi , I Think the name Bulmer was a old Huguenot name which gradually changed over the years to become Boomer.
I have a lot of family buired in Christ Church, the Graingers, they date back to around 1900, but i know they lived in Derriaghy pre 1690, can anyone tell me what other cemeterys in the area they might be buried in.   regards melv,
C.O.Y.S.

doe

« Reply #17 on: March 30, 2012, 02:31:37 PM »
Hi melv,
You are right about the Bulmers (Boomers) being Huguenots. 
So far I have information in Lisburn Cathedral and Derriaghy churchyard.
There is a Grainger in Derriaghy... the below is worded badly. I have put in commas () etc.
Erected by John Goudy in loving memory of Robert Grainger also his daughter Mary Jane, (who is the ) wife of the above named John Goudy who died 6th June 1895 aged 54 years.
It  sounds like John Goudy died here but he did put up the headstone didn't he?

Mac57

« Reply #18 on: March 30, 2012, 08:15:19 PM »
Hi doe,  Would there be any Bentley's  or Morrison's on your list.
         Thank You  Mac57

melv

« Reply #19 on: March 30, 2012, 08:18:33 PM »
Hi Doe, Many thanks for your kind reply and message,so  far i have found 6 graves in Christchurch with over 20 Graingers intered, 2 with headstones, and 4 unmarked, the earliest contains my great great grandfather,Richard Grainger born around 1818, died 1905, as far as i know his father another Richard Grainger is buired in ST. Helena,  where  he was serving with the Royal Artillery, guarding Napeolen, his father Thomas Grainger was alive in 1817, and living on their farm on the Barnsfield Road, Derriaghy,  i would love to locate his grave,but  I dont know when they started to bury people in Christ church ? or what other cemeterys might have been used around that time,     melv
C.O.Y.S.

doe

« Reply #20 on: March 31, 2012, 04:00:21 PM »
hi Merv, you are welcome, it is nice to help some after all of the help that I have had on this site over the years.
The book says that the earliest burial on record was 1674 and they presume that burials have taken place since the middle ages.There is no gravestone that has survived earlier that 1734, due to human neglect and weather and wearing. doe

doe

« Reply #21 on: March 31, 2012, 04:13:00 PM »
Hi doe,  Would there be any Bentley's  or Morrison's on your list.
         Thank You  Mac57
hi Mac57,
There is no Bentley mentioned for Christ Church but there is for Morrison.
I am sending a p.m

doe

« Reply #22 on: April 01, 2012, 07:52:59 PM »
I would love to know if you can find any Truesdales.  Some of mine married in the cathedral.
RosemaryJoan
Hi RJ Have you ever seen the spelling of Truesdale different to the above? I found a name  Trousdell.

doe

« Reply #23 on: April 01, 2012, 08:00:52 PM »
Hi Doe, Many thanks for your kind reply and message,so  far i have found 6 graves in Christchurch with over 20 Graingers intered, 2 with headstones, and 4 unmarked, the earliest contains my great great grandfather,Richard Grainger born around 1818, died 1905, as far as i know his father another Richard Grainger is buired in ST. Helena,  where  he was serving with the Royal Artillery, guarding Napeolen, his father Thomas Grainger was alive in 1817, and living on their farm on the Barnsfield Road, Derriaghy,  i would love to locate his grave,but  I dont know when they started to bury people in Christ church ? or what other cemeterys might have been used around that time,     melv
The book says that the church (original) was there since 1204 and it is assumed that burials have taken place in the churchyard. Sadly no markers. I wonder why churches and their people don't take better care of their cemetaries. I do.

rolohosick

« Reply #24 on: April 08, 2012, 09:19:39 PM »
thanks doe ,i will find an other way but its do'en  take many year for some places to disappear 

Rosemary Joan

« Reply #25 on: April 09, 2012, 11:43:13 AM »
Hello Doe,  Sorry I missed your message.  Truesdale is spelled all sorts of ways in my tree, so just take your pick when it comes to records!!
Thanks in advance.
Rosemary
As ye sow, so shall ye reap

melv

« Reply #26 on: April 27, 2012, 08:05:50 AM »
Hi Doe, found a link between your Boomer family and my Grainger family, Edward Boomer married Mary Grainger 13,nov,1846,  regards Sam
Yes that does make sense so hope anyone reading this that has family there will sign on to amazon to order it.
I have Alderdice, Boomer, Leckey, Partridge and Taylor there. I notice that there aren't any Bulmers there. Maybe some of them are at the other big cathedral in the area, can't think of the name of it. don't forget to tell me if you hear anything o.k
C.O.Y.S.

« Reply #27 on: April 27, 2012, 10:48:55 AM »
just goes to show what a book can do eh  ;)

gingercat

« Reply #28 on: April 27, 2012, 12:20:16 PM »
Hi Doe

I wonder could you please look up Neill and McConnell for me, my great great grandmother's parents were John McConnell and Ann Neill of both of Derriaghy. Many thanks!

Lindsaysearches

« Reply #29 on: July 12, 2012, 02:58:38 PM »
Could anyone help please - I am trying to trace a John McDean, who married a Mary Dornan in 1845. He was born in about 1820 and his wife about 1821. They moved to England. I have Derraghy shown in a English Census form but cannot trace either family back in Ireland. I was over in Belfast last year and searched some documents at PRONI  but was unable to find any further information. Any information will be gratefully received
Please change this  :(  to  :) !