Author Topic: any photos of lagan village ps  (Read 4111 times)

kraftcheese

Re: any photos of lagan village ps
« Reply #15 on: October 19, 2012, 01:43:03 AM »

This internet thingy makes it a small world doesn't it? If he's of my vintage I'll probably know him ok
Dowds, lived in 18 (bottom end).   He went to Nettlefield and Park Parade.  He turns 70 next April and we live Melbourne, Oz.  If you lived in the top end of Donard, he says he only knew a few people at that end.  Send PM if you don't want to publish your name. Best wishes.
Omnia in finem bona sunt. Si non bona non finis est.

ogilvie107

« Reply #16 on: October 19, 2012, 04:49:59 AM »
I think you are right about the catchment area for Lagan village but we went to Lagan village and lived in Ogilvie St which was past
St Anthonys church. My mother had heard all the horror stories of Sister Bernadina so she went against the grain and took us there.
It was a bit of a trek but worth it. It was a great wee school, Miss Byrne was a bit scary and she kept a cane called Matilda for those who needed it.(Not me), Most of pupils who were there when I was there were nearly all from the Short Strand, Anderson St. Etc.
Some of them used to rush off at lunchtime to St Matthews school for free school dinners. The rest of us just took pack lunch(a wee piece).
Others had money to buy things from the shops on the Ravenhill Road.

olelad

« Reply #17 on: October 19, 2012, 11:29:41 AM »
I think you are right about the catchment area for Lagan village but we went to Lagan village and lived in Ogilvie St which was past
St Anthonys church. My mother had heard all the horror stories of Sister Bernadina so she went against the grain and took us there.
It was a bit of a trek but worth it. It was a great wee school, Miss Byrne was a bit scary and she kept a cane called Matilda for those who needed it.(Not me), Most of pupils who were there when I was there were nearly all from the Short Strand, Anderson St. Etc.
Some of them used to rush off at lunchtime to St Matthews school for free school dinners. The rest of us just took pack lunch(a wee piece).
Others had money to buy things from the shops on the Ravenhill Road.

how long did you live in ogilvie st ? knew it well. one of the few streets were catholics hung about in any numbers.

bradbhoy

« Reply #18 on: October 19, 2012, 02:13:17 PM »
Dowds, lived in 18 (bottom end).   He went to Nettlefield and Park Parade.  He turns 70 next April and we live Melbourne, Oz.  If you lived in the top end of Donard, he says he only knew a few people at that end.  Send PM if you don't want to publish your name. Best wishes.

Names familiar, but can't just see face(an age thing). Did he knock about with Riley Thompson, ?? Stewart and the Moores? Maybe join a judo club at one time?  I lived at 66  Joe Brady.  He might have known me as I was the ONE who went to a different school :)  I will be 70

in August and have lived in England for 35 years

kraftcheese

« Reply #19 on: October 19, 2012, 02:57:17 PM »
Hiya Joe.  Norman's in bed asleep  (it's 12.30am Saturday here) but I'll ask him tomorrow. He had dark hair, and was the eldest of six - had four sisters and one brother.  You're both the same age.  I don't think he was in a judo club.  He was (and is) into fishing.  He spent most of his time after school at his uncle's in Jonesboro St (John Long's cnr near the Castle picturehouse), so he didn't really have close friends in Donard St but I'll ask him in the morning if he remembers you. Nice chatting to you.  Enjoy the forum.  :)

ogilvie107

« Reply #20 on: October 20, 2012, 06:02:07 AM »
I was born in Ogilvie Street in 1951. My mother was also born there in 1918. her name was Rice before she married. My maiden name was Hunniford.
I left in 1970 to live in England. I married there in 72 and am now in Sydney Australia since 2008.
I had a sister( died 1993) and have a brother who lives in England. Where did you live. ?
There were other Catholics in Ogilvie St but they gradually moved out when the Troubles got worse.

kraftcheese

« Reply #21 on: October 20, 2012, 07:14:16 AM »

Names familiar, but can't just see face(an age thing). Did he knock about with Riley Thompson, ?? Stewart and the Moores? Maybe join a judo club at one time?  I lived at 66  Joe Brady.  He might have known me as I was the ONE who went to a different school :)  I will be 70 in August and have lived in England for 35 years

Hello Joe. I asked Norman but he doesn't remember your name I'm afraid.  He remembers two Thompson families in Donard Street.  One family lived almost opposite him and the other, Riley Thompson, lived on a corner, but Norman wasn't friends with anybody in the street, as he was always away fishing with his uncle or duck shooting at Comber with his mates from Andersonstown. :D   That was in the early sixties, '63 - '65,  (then he met me and then his priorities changed).  :D     

olelad

« Reply #22 on: October 20, 2012, 03:16:51 PM »
I was born in Ogilvie Street in 1951. My mother was also born there in 1918. her name was Rice before she married. My maiden name was Hunniford.
I left in 1970 to live in England. I married there in 72 and am now in Sydney Australia since 2008.
I had a sister( died 1993) and have a brother who lives in England. Where did you live. ?
There were other Catholics in Ogilvie St but they gradually moved out when the Troubles got worse.

didnt know you that well but knew your brother and sister rip well. your bro posts on here and i keep in contact with him. the currys lived afew doors up from you and the mcmahons across the street. the kellys, quiley, rutherford, donnelly , mccroy rip mcbrides made up the other catholic lads that hung about there up until been put out

ogilvie107

« Reply #23 on: October 21, 2012, 04:51:49 AM »
I knew the Curry boys' dad . He had a brain tumour and died very young . Funnily enough A friend here in sydney comes from the same village that their mum came from. I think they went back there. Not sure. Must ask Michael who you are. I don't remember the Mc Mahons must ask him. I just found this a while ago , broke a heel and if it wasn't for the internet, would have had my head in the oven.Mind you thats not much good its electric. Cheers.

olelad

« Reply #24 on: October 22, 2012, 09:47:15 PM »
I knew the Curry boys' dad . He had a brain tumour and died very young . Funnily enough A friend here in sydney comes from the same village that their mum came from. I think they went back there. Not sure. Must ask Michael who you are. I don't remember the Mc Mahons must ask him. I just found this a while ago , broke a heel and if it wasn't for the internet, would have had my head in the oven.Mind you thats not much good its electric. Cheers.

have you had a butchers at the st anthonys thread  yet ? IM SURE THERE BOUND TO BE NAMES MENTIONED ON THERE YOUD REMEMBER . do you remember the taylors, kellys quikleys who all lived on the woodstock rd ?
what village was currys from ? and keep away from that oven  :D

ogilvie107

« Reply #25 on: October 23, 2012, 04:34:20 AM »
Yea had a look at that . Knew the names mentioned. Remember all those families. She came from a village in Cavan Michael will remember
She never let those wee boys out to play with the other kids. we could hear them playing by themselves in the backyards when we were all out in the entry.

olelad

« Reply #26 on: October 23, 2012, 10:49:31 PM »
there was a girl who lived afew doors down from you she had ginger hair went 2 eutson st ps think maybe her 1st name was janet ? also a lad called jackson who lived middle of st think his dad was killed in a hill walking accident 72. do u remember them ?

ogilvie107

« Reply #27 on: October 24, 2012, 04:28:04 AM »
Don't recall the wee girl. I di my 11 + in Euston St.  Vaguley remember Jackson but I left in 70.The curry boys mum Kathleen cam from Cootehill in Cavan.

olelad

« Reply #28 on: October 24, 2012, 10:42:34 PM »
Don't recall the wee girl. I di my 11   in Euston St.  Vaguley remember Jackson but I left in 70.The curry boys mum Kathleen cam from Cootehill in Cavan.

cootehill never heard of that place b4. the mcmahons moved in to the street late 71 and were burned out in 72. wasnt long after the rest of us got put out. in our case all the front windows been put in. you would have know peggy mccrory from ravenhill ave ? she knocked about with your Geraldine rip.

ogilvie107

« Reply #29 on: October 25, 2012, 09:48:59 AM »
I moved to England in 1970 so never knew the McMahons. I do remember the Mccrorys . Think Michael went around with the brother.