Author Topic: any photos of lagan village ps  (Read 4133 times)

olelad

any photos of lagan village ps
« on: February 08, 2012, 06:41:29 PM »
? maybe a long shot but seems its last chance saloon in getting a photo of the old school.

ogilvie107

Re: any photos of lagan village ps
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2012, 06:06:41 AM »
I haven't any photos but when did yo go to Lagan village. I was there from 1956 to 1961/62

ec

« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2012, 11:43:01 PM »
I went to Lagan Village School from 1957 to 1963.

pentio

« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2012, 12:31:25 AM »
? maybe a long shot but seems its last chance saloon in getting a photo of the old school.

olelad, I found this old photo of the school for you.

ogilvie107

« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2012, 04:40:49 AM »
Don't remember it being painted white .When I was there the front door was brown. Next door was a sweet shop wholesaler.
Do you remember the teachers. Miss Byrne(the headmistress) Mrs Mc Cullough came along and taught the P3&P4.before that it was Mrs Dolan. The infant steacher when I started was a Mrs Ramsden.
My sister was there from 57 to probably 63/64 when she went to St Monica's My brothere also went but only for a wee while beforeit was shut and he had to go to St. Anthony's which was nearer for us.

ogilvie107

« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2012, 04:44:25 AM »
Can you remember any of the pupils. I remember Sadie & Dennis Mc Cullough Ravenhill Road. Brian Smith (Woodstock St) his dad owned the wee shop on the corner. George McAteer, Denis Donaldson( who was later shot for being an informer) and his brother David.(Anderson Street) . |Margaret Parkes (family emigrated to Canada)

olelad

« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2012, 09:23:52 AM »

olelad, I found this old photo of the school for you.

cheers m8 for taking the time hunting that photo out but im sure that aint lagan village school from richardson st ? ive seen this photo b4 and along with others agree it aint the old school we remember. now i could be wrong but i dont think its it.

olelad

« Reply #7 on: October 17, 2012, 09:25:40 AM »
Don't remember it being painted white .When I was there the front door was brown. Next door was a sweet shop wholesaler.
Do you remember the teachers. Miss Byrne(the headmistress) Mrs Mc Cullough came along and taught the P3&P4.before that it was Mrs Dolan. The infant steacher when I started was a Mrs Ramsden.
My sister was there from 57 to probably 63/64 when she went to St Monica's My brothere also went but only for a wee while beforeit was shut and he had to go to St. Anthony's which was nearer for us.

closed 67/68. i didnt go there meself but used to meet cousins who did. it seemed a dark hole  :D

bradbhoy

« Reply #8 on: October 18, 2012, 01:21:26 PM »

cheers m8 for taking the time hunting that photo out but im sure that aint lagan village school from richardson st ? ive seen this photo b4 and along with others agree it aint the old school we remember. now i could be wrong but i dont think its it.

Hi olelad, afraid i'm going to have to disagree with you. I lived in the next street(Donard street) from 1946-1972 and I would say that is definitely the school. It was just brick in those days and I don't remember it being painted white.

kraftcheese

« Reply #9 on: October 18, 2012, 03:45:35 PM »
Hi bradbhoy, I think it is too. 
P.S.  My husband comes from Donard St too.
Omnia in finem bona sunt. Si non bona non finis est.

bradbhoy

« Reply #10 on: October 18, 2012, 04:12:34 PM »
Hi bradbhoy, I think it is too. 
P.S.  My husband comes from Donard St too.

This internet thingy makes it a small world doesn't it? If he's of my vintage I'll probably know him ok

olelad

« Reply #11 on: October 18, 2012, 06:00:40 PM »
you guys lived a lot closer to the gaff and therefore would remember it a lot better than me so it looks like im wrong. still dont think it is mind ! :)

« Reply #12 on: October 18, 2012, 07:45:39 PM »
Hi OLELAD came across the Lagan village school article today and want to confirm that the picture is genuine, I attended Lagan Village school until 1948, Would you believe my Mother also went to that school and was taught by Miss OConnor who was the principal, her daughter another Miss OConnor also a principal taught me, there were only 3 teachers at that time Miss's OConnor, Burkhart and Moore 5 of my sisters also attended, the building was brick and painted brown and was fondly called Connor school!! I have great memories of that school and the kids who went there.
Pat Ferguson Mathews

bradbhoy

« Reply #13 on: October 18, 2012, 08:08:51 PM »
I know I'm a bit late wondering about it now :) but did you have a choice of what school you went to. I lived 50yards from Lagan Village but started in infants at St Anthony's. Maybe it was full up!!

olelad

« Reply #14 on: October 18, 2012, 10:50:15 PM »
1st of it seems my memory isnt as good as thought it was but im pleased to be proved wrong. nice one all involed.
2nd of lagan village pupils all seemed to live from my ladys rd to short strand. basically the lower woodstock while st anthonys took from mlr up to castlereagh estate. thats my take on it.