Author Topic: Titanic Experience - wow!  (Read 9651 times)

kellysgirl

Titanic Experience - wow!
« on: February 12, 2012, 07:14:41 AM »
Looking at their website, the new Titanic Experience looks magnificent.  I have bought my tickets for April and am so looking forward to seeing it. Has anyone had a sneak preview at the place yet?
If it's not too cheeky, might I give a mention on here to my novel which has just been published and which, I hope, will be on sale in their giftshop, but if not, is available right now in paperback via FeedARead.com?  Here's the link: 
http://www.feedaread.com/books/A-Wistful-Eye-9781781760116.aspx
The book is based on the life of my great grandfather, a caulker at Harland & Wolff, who was engaged in building Titanic, when his wife was murdered.  He was also involved in the General Strike of 1919 and the violent shipyard disturbances of the 1920s. 
Incidentally, Southampton (England) is opening their new SeaCity Museum, with its new Titanic gallery in April also. 

vision tech

Re: Titanic Experience - wow!
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2012, 12:02:56 AM »
I will be going to see the Titanic experience myself when it all calms down, i like to take my time to browse with less people around,
the Nomadic is looking good at the moment, i was down the Queens road on saturday and took a picture of it in the Hamilton dock and it is better looking now than when it arrived here a few years ago, i have posted the pic off Nomadic on panoramio which is on google earth, it might take a few days before they allow it to show.

kellysgirl

« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2012, 06:15:58 AM »
Well done Vision Tech.  I look forward to seeing that pic.  Is Nomadic open to the public?  I'd love to have a look around when I'm over.  Another thing I'd love to do is the tour of Crumlin Rd Gaol.  However, every time I visit, it's closed.  There are some exciting things going on during April - Titanic month - but I'm not so sure the musical is a creditable idea?!   :o

vision tech

« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2012, 04:42:48 PM »
The Nomadic will be open to the public at the same time as the Titanic Experience in April,
 do you know how many posts you need on here before you can upload a picture?

Rosa

« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2012, 10:28:54 PM »
Looking forward to taking my kids to the titanic experience they are so interested in our history.

Zan de Man

« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2012, 08:21:18 PM »
Check your inbox Tech.

dmxdave

« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2012, 10:05:55 PM »
I have been working in the Titanic Building and it looks really good, sorry I can't post any of my pictures as I am a new member.

vision tech

« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2012, 10:36:56 PM »
I know how you feel , you have to post 25times before uploading, it does not take long to get up to 25 if you are a gabbler :)

shamrock249

« Reply #8 on: February 19, 2012, 11:54:06 PM »
Welcome to the forum dmxdave.
Signed   Mrs Cullen's wee son Jimmy.

rathlin

« Reply #9 on: February 20, 2012, 06:11:45 PM »
Just wondering, is there any memorial to the people who died on the Titanic or is it just about the boat?   ???
Remembering the forgotten innocents of all wars.

Zan de Man

« Reply #10 on: February 20, 2012, 06:46:44 PM »
The Titanic Memorial at Belfast City Hall.

dmxdave

« Reply #11 on: February 20, 2012, 07:22:33 PM »
Welcome to the forum dmxdave.

Thanks shamrock, used to have Uncle (ex shipyard) and Aunt living in Missassauga and my wife had an Aunt and Uncle lived in Culnan Avenue off The Queensway!

rathlin

« Reply #12 on: February 21, 2012, 12:07:23 PM »
The Titanic Memorial at Belfast City Hall.

I think that it would do no harm to have the memorial moved to the Titanic Quarter,  Keep it all in the one place.   The memorial has been removed before.
Remembering the forgotten innocents of all wars.

kellysgirl

« Reply #13 on: February 22, 2012, 06:01:31 PM »
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Wistful-Eye-Tragedy-Titanic-Shipwright/dp/178176011X/ref=sr_1_2?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1329933244&sr=1-2
My book, as mentioned (cheekily) earlier, which I believe is unique amongst all the Titanic themed books, since it is written from the perspective of one of the shipwrights who built the iconic vessel (my great grandfather), is now available also on Amazon (and in USA via Amazon.com).  It is selling well.  If any of you have read it and enjoyed it, do let me know.  I'm hoping it will appear in bookshops and museum giftshops soon also.   
The precarious day-to-day existence of the shipwrights and the harsh working conditions they endured sit in stark contrast to the opulence of Titanic.  I wanted folks to put the construction and destruction of the grand lady in a real social context.