Author Topic: Titanic Experience - wow!  (Read 9637 times)

canada now

Re: Titanic Experience - wow!
« Reply #105 on: February 08, 2013, 09:05:39 PM »
next time i'm home i must visit the TE my grand father was one of the painters on the titanic while in dock the standing family joke was may be another coat of paint might have helped

marknir

« Reply #106 on: February 11, 2013, 09:24:32 PM »
My grandfather was a RED Leader in the shipyard when the Titanic was being build. I was able to touch part of the Hull when I went to the exhibition in Atlanta, Ga. It was a surreal feeling to think that I might have been touching the same piece of metal that my grandfather painted and all it had been through in between.

My grandfather died young of lead poisoning, a work related death I guess.

kellysgirl

« Reply #107 on: January 25, 2014, 08:43:35 AM »
Dommo, did I ever send you that label?  If not, and if there's a problem sending me a PM via this site, you can always send me an e mail via the contact page of my website: http://www.djkelly.co.uk/and I'll reply.

'A Wistful Eye - The Tragedy of a Titanic Shipwright', by DJ Kelly, is also available on Kindle.

Belfast Titanic Society gave it a truly lovely review in their magazine 'CQD'.  The society organises various tours and functions at the Titanic Experience. They have a website and also a Facebook page, if anyone's interested in joining.

rathlin

« Reply #108 on: January 29, 2014, 04:04:21 PM »
It is true, almost everybody thinks that the foundering of the Titanic was the greatest disaster at sea ever. Next week will be the 68th anniversary of the Wilhelm Gustloff with 9500 dead. It sank on the 29th of January 1945 after being torpedoed by a Soviet submarine off the coast of Danzig. It was full of refugees and wounded. Next the General von Steuben, also torpedoed by a Soviet submarine in the Baltic sea sank, 3600 dead-wounded, nurses, doctors, refugees; in both cases the submarine was commanded by Alexander Marinesko who posthumously was given the award Hero of the Soviet Union and the medal for Distinguished Wartime Services" by Gorbachev. Yes, Gorbachov.
 The Goya was torpedoed by a Soviet submarine under Cpt. Konovalov, became Hero of the SU, 6200 dead, refugees, wounded; then the Thielbeck and Cap Arcona, bombed by the British in Lübeck in May 1945, apparently 7000 dead...
 The Titanic was only the most glamorous large-scale sinking of a ship, with numerous super-rich passengers. The poor passengers on the second or third deck are hardly ever thought of.
 Such is the power of the media that they can create and delete events, exchange cause and effect, distort the sequence and meaning and thereby make use of any story according to an intended outcome. This power rests today in the hands of very few, in an emblematic sense in the hands of Hollywood.
Remembering the forgotten innocents of all wars.

kellysgirl

« Reply #109 on: January 29, 2014, 06:10:21 PM »
You may be right Rathlin.

However, occurring as it did in 1912, Titanic was one of the first, if not the first, such major maritime disaster to be recalled by witness accounts. It was notable because the vessel was believed to be unsinkable. We now know nothing is unsinkable. It matters to Belfast in general because the citizens were proud to share in the glory - if not in the profits - of their industrial achievements and were bitterly disappointed and hurt when she sank.  It matters to me specifically because my great grandfather was one of the men who built Titanic and who mourned her loss most deeply and publicly. 

There have indeed been greater losses since, most notably on civilian shipping in the Philippines.  Somehow, this early maritime disaster touched the hearts of many. To forget such a tragedy of human error might be to condemn us to repeat it.

Dommo

« Reply #110 on: January 29, 2014, 07:13:41 PM »

Yes of course Dommo.  If you pm me your address, I can send you a signed label, and some bookmarks for you and your friends.
thanks!
if yer gonna act the chivo, beware the chupacabra

kellysgirl

« Reply #111 on: January 30, 2014, 07:10:24 AM »
Hi Dommo, send me a message via this forum with your postal address and I'll forward soonest. 

Mark70

« Reply #112 on: April 05, 2014, 02:45:50 PM »
Wished I could of seen that ship with my own eyes. ;)
"We are paid in our own coin."