Author Topic: Titanic Experience - wow!  (Read 9706 times)

shamrock249

Re: Titanic Experience - wow!
« Reply #15 on: February 22, 2012, 07:20:53 PM »
Signed   Mrs Cullen's wee son Jimmy.

kellysgirl

« Reply #16 on: February 22, 2012, 08:49:40 PM »
Maybe soon Shamrock.  I'll see how paperback sales go.  Personally, I love the touch and feel of a real book.  Are you a big fan of e books then?

shamrock249

« Reply #17 on: February 22, 2012, 08:52:52 PM »
Hi kellysgirl, Yes I am. I currently own a Kindle and find it very handy and lightweight.  It's great for travelling as well.

pastybap

« Reply #18 on: February 23, 2012, 10:13:52 PM »
Hi everyone,
I am looking forward to visiting the new Titanic experience building this summer sometime, but I can't help feeling sceptical about the whole project.   :-\
It is bound to pull in a lot of tourists this year what with it being one hundred years since the ship sank.  But will it be a popular place ten years from now??  I would hate it to be our Millenium Dome.  :( 
Catch yerself on! ;)

shamrock249

« Reply #19 on: February 23, 2012, 10:30:11 PM »
We are planning a trip back home in June when hopefully we can tour the new site.

kellysgirl

« Reply #20 on: February 24, 2012, 06:26:09 AM »
Hi everyone,
I am looking forward to visiting the new Titanic experience building this summer sometime, but I can't help feeling sceptical about the whole project.   :-\
It is bound to pull in a lot of tourists this year what with it being one hundred years since the ship sank.  But will it be a popular place ten years from now??  I would hate it to be our Millenium Dome.  :(
I'm optimistic about it, pastybap.  There are 13 other cities around the world which have had Titanic museums for years now and they never cease to pull in the crowds, also the Ulster Folk & Transport Museum out at Cultra - so far the only museum in NI with Titanic connections - has been pulling them in for years.  I think the fact that the Belfast Experience museum is so close to town will be an advantage. After all, like many others, I've handed over a few bob in my time to the Lagan Boat Company to ferry me out to see where Titanic was built, and, in company with a number of overseas visitors, I found myself staring at a patch of levelled ground where the mighty slips once stood, and felt privileged to do so. I should add that I still take the boat trip when I come over, as it is fun, and the craic alone is worth it. Having the 'virtual shipyard tour' in the little cars within the museum should prove as big and enduring a draw as is the ride at York's Jorvik centre.  I am hopeful, and I hope that it's not just cos I so want to see dear old Belfast succeed.

tambourineman

« Reply #21 on: February 26, 2012, 08:18:48 PM »
I'm also optimistic. When we have visitors to Belfast it's difficult for them to fully appreciate the story of the Titanic and I think the center will help highlights its significance. Attractions such as this help towards building Belfast (and NI) into a prominent tourist attraction which should hopefully last for years.

Also, I heard Siobhan McGuigan from the Northern Irish Tourist board give a great presentation at a CIM Ireland event entitled ‘NI2012: Year of opportunity’.  She talked about the opening of the Titanic center and it sounds like a spectacular event. It involves architectural projection mapping of the titanic building and I'm pretty sure it will be the live event of the year!

Dan

Zan de Man

« Reply #22 on: February 26, 2012, 08:22:15 PM »
I'm planning a couple of weeks off and I'll be coming over to see it.

EllCee

« Reply #23 on: February 26, 2012, 11:08:03 PM »
I see the "Nomadic" every Monday evening when my wife and I go to our night class at the Belfast Met College.

We are both going to the opening of the "Titanic" building, organised by the "Titanic" Society at the end of March.
"I may not agree with you, but I respect your opinion"   "You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it"

tambourineman

« Reply #24 on: February 26, 2012, 11:17:08 PM »
The specific event I was referring to is the 'Titanic Light Show'. The launch for this will happen on the 7th of April.

For a taster type Battle of Branchage into YouTube (what's the criteria for being able to post a like in the forum?). Below is a a little of the blurb from the website.

"Part of Titanic Belfast Festival 2012. A visionary lighting show, digitally mapping this iconic new building, to showcase the iconic new Titanic Belfast visitor attraction. There will be a spectacular launch event on 7 April followed by an installation each evening to feature the building."

eastbelfastbabe

« Reply #25 on: March 08, 2012, 03:24:58 PM »
The Belfast City Council had booklets delivered to houses in Belfast, giving details of what,s on show. It looks very impressive.

This is just some of the of what's on offer.

Quotes from the booklet.

Titanic Belfast for a day out.

The adventure begins the moment you walk through the door & into the buildin's giant atruim, surrounded by the four ship's wings that house the Titanic Experience.

Gallery 1) Boomtown Belfast

Setting the scene for the awesome Titanic story, discover why Belfast was the perfect location to build Titanic and walk through the actual Harland & Wolfe shipyard gates.

Gallery 2) The Arrol Gantry & Shipyard Ride

Take your seat on the thrilling shipyard ride to experience every aspect of the build, every sense tingling with the sights, smells & sounds of the busy shipyard.

Gallery 3) The Launch

Experience the excitement of the time. Look out to Titanic sitting on her slipway, made possible by innovative glazing that incorporates original imagery from the time.

Gallery 4) The Fit-out

Get the authentic taste of Titanic, from her unique engineering to superb craftsmanship, brought to life by exhilarating exhibits & elaborate computer generated images.

Gallery 5) The Maiden Voyage

Sail with the passengers on the ship's maiden voyage, get to know them & their lives onboard as they travel across the Atlantic.

Gallery 6) The Sinking

Titanic tragically did not complete her voyage & this element of her story is portrayed in a dramatic sensory experience, which induces the urgency of those tragic moments.

There are another are 3 Galleries

7) The Aftermath

8) Myths & Legends

9) Titanic Beneath

Just a summary to wet your appetite.
About time Belfast got the recognition it deserves.

kellysgirl

« Reply #26 on: March 08, 2012, 03:47:41 PM »
That all sounds great eastbelfastbabe.  I can barely contain myself till my visit.  I especially look forward to experiencing the sights sounds etc of the shipyards (tho I bet it won't smell like the shipyard!) to get even the vaguest idea of what it was like for my great grandfather and grandfather working there.
Although my novel, 'A Wistful Eye - The Tragedy of a Titanic Shipwright'  is still the only Titanic themed book written from the perspective of a Titanic shipwright, I haven't yet managed to persuade their merchandising manager to stock it in the gift shop. Perhaps they'll get more revenue from their big-price coffee table Titanic photobooks than from a £7.99 paperback with a moving human story based on a Harland & Wolff caulker's own experiences.  Well, good luck to them for the opening.  Anyways, if yez are up for a bit of a read, yez'll find it in Waterstones or on Amazon.  Sorry again for the blatant plug, but, to put a B'fawst twist on Dickens, if ye don't speak up, the beadle won't give ye tha skilly!

eastbelfastbabe

« Reply #27 on: March 08, 2012, 03:55:48 PM »
Now's the best  time to advertise and where better than the Belfastforum. Good luck with your book.

kellysgirl

« Reply #28 on: March 08, 2012, 03:59:58 PM »
Thanks babe!  How's the weather in my favourite city?  It's a bit chilly over on this side of the sheugh!  Roll on April and I'll be walking barefoot on the causeway and re-connecting with the ancestors.

eastbelfastbabe

« Reply #29 on: March 08, 2012, 04:04:52 PM »
Cloudy & Cold. Most probably rain later, especially as I'm going to bingo tonight with my sisters.