Author Topic: Titanic Experience - wow!  (Read 11045 times)

vision tech

Re: Titanic Experience - wow!
« Reply #30 on: March 08, 2012, 06:23:53 PM »
Cloudy & Cold. Most probably rain later, especially as I'm going to bingo tonight with my sisters.

what bingo hall do you go to , my wife lives in the one down the n,ards road facing browns?

eastbelfastbabe

« Reply #31 on: March 08, 2012, 06:28:25 PM »
Kelly's Eye. It's cheaper, only £7 for a book & a scoop.

dmxdave

« Reply #32 on: March 08, 2012, 06:34:21 PM »
That all sounds great eastbelfastbabe.  I can barely contain myself till my visit.  I especially look forward to experiencing the sights sounds etc of the shipyards (tho I bet it won't smell like the shipyard!) to get even the vaguest idea of what it was like for my great grandfather and grandfather working there.

They were testing the Shipyard ride today and it was really impressive, the sights sounds and the smell to me were very realistic.

All the best with the book, might just buy Mother one as part of her pressie ;)

kellysgirl

« Reply #33 on: March 08, 2012, 07:11:45 PM »
Bless you, dmxdave.  She'll enjoy it as it's sad and funny and she may recognise some of the old ways and old days (as I did!).

Just thought, eastbelfastbabe, Kelly's Eye (bingo) could be a good omen, given that I'm a Kelly and my book is 'A Wistful Eye'. Let's hope we'll both be lucky.

river rats

« Reply #34 on: March 08, 2012, 07:13:40 PM »
Well done Vision Tech.  I look forward to seeing that pic.  Is Nomadic open to the public?  I'd love to have a look around when I'm over.  Another thing I'd love to do is the tour of Crumlin Rd Gaol.  However, every time I visit, it's closed.  There are some exciting things going on during April - Titanic month - but I'm not so sure the musical is a creditable idea?!   :o
ha ha ha you must be the first person I know who is trying to get into the Crum most people had been trying to get out for years :D
We are all in the gutter but some of us are looking at the stars

kellysgirl

« Reply #35 on: March 08, 2012, 07:16:22 PM »
Not as popular as the city's cemeteries tho - people are dying to get in there!  groan ...

britney

« Reply #36 on: March 10, 2012, 04:02:23 PM »
Every time I hear about the Titanic I get a sinking feeling.... :D

kellysgirl

« Reply #37 on: March 10, 2012, 04:05:52 PM »
 :sarcastic: :sarcastic: :sarcastic:

kellysgirl

« Reply #38 on: March 10, 2012, 04:12:26 PM »
I just realised that the earlier link to my book is an old one, so for dmxdave and anyone else who might be kind enough to buy it, here's the Amazon link, and you can see the latest reviews.  I'd love in due course to hear what your mother thinks of the book.  Feedback is always welcome.  Also, do keep an eye out for April's Ulster Tatler (due out any day now), Ireland's Own, Family Tree Magazine & Family History Monthly, which are printing reviews of my book.  I'm hoping to arrange some book signings and 'meet the author events' in Belfast in mid April and/or mid June, as it would be lovely to meet some of you guys and talk Titanic.  Yep, I'm a 'Titanorak' alright!

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Wistful-Eye-Tragedy-Titanic-Shipwright/dp/178176011X/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1331395620&sr=1-1

rathlin

« Reply #39 on: March 16, 2012, 10:56:31 AM »
The titanic is nothing compared to this -

The MV Wilhelm Gustloff was a German KdF flagship during 1937-1945, constructed by the Blohm & Voss shipyards. It sank after being torpedoed by the Soviet submarine S-13 on 30 January 1945.
The ship was named after Wilhelm Gustloff, the assassinated German leader of the Swiss Nazi party. It was requisitioned into the Kriegsmarine (German Navy) on 1 September 1939 and served as a hospital ship in 1939 and 1940. Beginning on 20 November 1940, it was stripped of medical equipment and repainted from its hospital ship colors (white with a green stripe) to standard naval grey. The Wilhelm Gustloff was then assigned as a floating barracks for naval personnel in the port of Gdynia which was located in Nazi occupied Poland (renamed during German occupation to Gotenhafen), near Gdańsk, Poland.
The Wilhelm Gustloff′s final voyage was during Operation Hannibal in January 1945, when it was sunk while participating in the evacuation of civilians, military personnel, and Nazi officials who were surrounded by the Red Army in East Prussia. The Gustloff was hit by three torpedoes from the S-13 in the Baltic Sea under the command of Alexander Marinesko on the night of 30 January 1945 and sank in less than 45 minutes. An estimated 9,400 people were killed in the sinking.[2][3] If accurate, this would be the largest known loss of life occurring during a single ship sinking in recorded maritime history.
Remembering the forgotten innocents of all wars.

kellysgirl

« Reply #40 on: March 16, 2012, 12:17:45 PM »
That was indeed a catastrophic loss of life Rathlin. I doubt it is commemorated in any way though, as the Germans do not glorify or even discuss their war dead.  There have been some dreadful sinkings in the Philippines also with thousands of civilians dead.  Titanic was however the largest recorded loss of life in a sinking at the time it occurred.  My own grandfather was lucky to escape the carnage of Jutland in 1916, and WW2 did indeed see some horrendous deaths at sea, as well as on land, and yet still wars go on. When the steamship Lusitania was sunk, allegedly by a German torpedo in WW1, initial reports suggested more lives had been lost than on Titanic, and for a little while, it seemed to the shipwrights who built the latter ship that the focus would turn to Lusitania, and the Titanic disaster would be forgotten, but neither of these things turned out to be so.  The loss of life on Lusitania did not exceed Titanic.  It was simply that the rescue was not by a single ship (as with Carpathia for Titanic) but, since it occurred close to the Iirsh coast, passengers were swimming ashore or were rescued piecemeal by Irish fishermen etc. and taken to various places to recover. The final number of the dead was not confirmed for some days. Awful though it is when civilians drown in major catastrophes at sea, my heart goes out to the brave men of the engine room, who face slow and certain death locked in their watertight coffins. 

vision tech

« Reply #41 on: March 27, 2012, 09:50:06 PM »
I heard there was underground parking for 400 cars at the new Titanic site, does anyone know where this is as i didnt see any thing being built, also the Titanic was built on slipway 3 , there where only 2 slipways at that part under the gantry so does anyone know where slipway no1 was?

dmxdave

« Reply #42 on: March 27, 2012, 10:20:39 PM »
I heard there was underground parking for 400 cars at the new Titanic site, does anyone know where this is as i didnt see any thing being built, also the Titanic was built on slipway 3 , there where only 2 slipways at that part under the gantry so does anyone know where slipway no1 was?

There are 2 basement car parks -1 is accessed at the traffic lights between the Nomadic and the Drawing Offices, -2 is just after the Drawing Office with lifts, steps and escalators up to the ground floor.

Not sure about the slipway numbers but they have put led lights in the ground to show the size of the ships and also led strips up the big supporting steel beams from the viewing gallery on level 5 this is really great!

Another wee thing is when you are looking down from level 5 there are marker lights showing Titanic's  journey from Belfast to Southampton, Cherbourg then Cobh (Queenstown), the land is marked out in paving slabs.

vision tech

« Reply #43 on: March 27, 2012, 10:34:36 PM »
Thanks dave, I go down the queens road all the time and i never noticed any sign off underground carparking being built, i remember when they where building the victoria centre over at victoria square it took ages to build the undergroung carpark because of the type off land Belfast was built on, you would have thought it would be easier to make a carpark on the land down in the shipyard, there is a lot off empty space down there.

smith19

« Reply #44 on: March 29, 2012, 09:41:52 AM »
Every time I hear about the Titanic I get a sinking feeling.... :D

Me also, I find all this "celebration" a little macabre, surely we can promote our beautiful city of Belfast by other means than by boasting that we built the largest vessel in the world at that time, and it sank on its maiden voyage with the loss of over 1500 innocent lives. Lets pray for them.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy