Author Topic: Collyer Street? Collier Street?  (Read 4170 times)

pepher

Collyer Street? Collier Street?
« on: July 08, 2007, 06:44:20 AM »
Good day everyone, I just found some information on my Grandfather and could use some help.  I am told he lived on Collier Street... or is it Collyer Street...or Colyer?  On the Covenant, I found two Robinsons (Charles at 46 Collyer and Mary at 46 Colyer)  What I'm trying to find out first off is the proper spelling of the street name?

Secondly, are there any Robinsons on any of the Collyer/Colyer/Collier streets in any of the Censuses (Censi?)?

Thanks in advance for whatever help you can provide.  If it helps, my Grandfather was Albert Robinson and married Sarah Blain in Belfast, June 12, 1918 at St. Annes.  I don't have his birthday but assume it would be around 1895-1900?  His military number was 754 from the Royal Irish Rifles and that's all I have.

Thank you once again...

pentio

Re: Collyer Street? Collier Street?
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2007, 09:55:14 PM »
Good day everyone, I just found some information on my Grandfather and could use some help.  I am told he lived on Collier Street... or is it Collyer Street...or Colyer?  On the Covenant, I found two Robinsons (Charles at 46 Collyer and Mary at 46 Colyer)  What I'm trying to find out first off is the proper spelling of the street name?

Secondly, are there any Robinsons on any of the Collyer/Colyer/Collier streets in any of the Censuses (Censi?)?

Thanks in advance for whatever help you can provide.  If it helps, my Grandfather was Albert Robinson and married Sarah Blain in Belfast, June 12, 1918 at St. Annes.  I don't have his birthday but assume it would be around 1895-1900?  His military number was 754 from the Royal Irish Rifles and that's all I have.

Thank you once again...

The correct spelling is Collyer Street, it was located off the Limestone Road in Belfast in an area known as Tigers Bay. My mother was born there in 1928. I have posted a photo of my dear old gran and three of her children taken in the 1930's to let you see what the houses were like.

When my parents married in 1948 they lived with mums sister for a few months at number 48 Collyer Street.

If you pm acheux he might be able to help re the Royal Irish Rifles.

pepher

« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2007, 12:42:50 AM »
That is amazing Pentio, thank you very much for sharing your photo.  At this point, I only know that my granda as a kid lived on Collyer Street.  Unfortunately, no one knows the names of his parents (my great granny and great granda) as they all called them Granny and Granda!  I am hoping to dig something up either through the family (so I know what documents to look up online) or a break online (that will help me piece things together).  I'm not very experienced (good) at this just yet but thanks to a great many online, I'm managed to find more than enough to get me hooked. 

The Royal Irish Rifles stuff I'm still at a stalemate with.  I, or my dad, have no actual documentation from my granda's tour as it is with other family members.  So I wait patiently to hear from them with additional info.  Perhaps some document from his military service will help with information leading to his parents names and addresses? 

thank you once again for sharing the photo, it's a great pic!

P

gail34

« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2007, 03:59:20 PM »
Nice picture
Often wondered what the houses looked like
I have rellies that lived in Collyer Street  Reid and Kernaghan

elizabeth1943

« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2020, 05:58:16 PM »
my Grandfather - Charles Robinson lived at 40 Collyer Street - May 1918

Our John

« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2020, 05:24:05 PM »
It was Collyer Street.      My grandmothers (Minnie) birth certificate, born 17 07 07, shows that my great grandparents, Charles and Mary Robinson lived at Number 46.  I  believe that they also had 2 sons called John and Charles.    I would be grateful for any supporting information

elizabeth1943

« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2020, 08:10:57 PM »
  My grandfather Charles had a first wife, however do not know her name.  she died in childbirth.  they had 4 children.  John, Charles, Albert and Minnie.  Then he married my Grandmother Elizabeth and they had 4 children.  Margaret, Maybury, Steve and Betty.  they moved to 34 Ainsworth Street during the war.  At one point I remember visiting a person by the name of Minnie, because she had a daughter the died at 14.

Our John

« Reply #7 on: April 11, 2020, 08:20:53 PM »
Margaret. Thank you for this.  I have been the ancestry website for the past few days, but had hit a bit of a wall.   Your grandfather is my great grandfather.  Minnie, Charles daughter was my grandmother.  She had 3 daughters, Jean (who died of meningitis aged 14), Christina (my mother) and Maureen.  The family lived in laganview street at bridge end. Your piece of the jigsaw is brilliant. Any other info would be greatly appreciated.   

elizabeth1943

« Reply #8 on: April 11, 2020, 08:42:50 PM »
Charles Robinson and Elizabeth are buried in Carmoney Cemetary,.  The old section (V).   We visited there in 2014.  Most of the family immigrated to Toronto,Canada.  My grandfather died 1947.  I remember him quite well.  He was very loved by his children and grandchildren.  I also attended the funeral for Minnie's daughter with my grandmother.   I do have an old picture of him, but I do not know how to send on this. 

Elizabeth

elizabeth1943

« Reply #9 on: April 11, 2020, 08:47:28 PM »
They also lived in Cosgrave Street (28).  My grandmother ran the butcher's store and all the sons worked for her.   I am not sure but I think my grandfather worked at Harland & Wolf?   Hope that this helps with your research.

Our John

« Reply #10 on: April 11, 2020, 09:00:30 PM »
Elizabeth. this info is great.  The picture is becoming much clearer. I would love to see the photo. Maybe I could get a copy from you and scan it.  Once I have finished the family tree I would be glad to share it with you.  When I was in the ancestry website references to Canada and the USA came up but I thought it was a red herring.  As part of the wider family tree I would like to hear more about your side of the family

elizabeth1943

« Reply #11 on: April 11, 2020, 10:02:56 PM »
I have a picture of Charles Robinson with his first wife and his four children which includes Minnie of course.  Sorry but I do not know how to add these pictures on this.  Do you know how or do you have any other suggestions.   I am on FB.   

Our John

« Reply #12 on: April 11, 2020, 10:14:43 PM »
Elizabeth.  How can I find you on Facebook ( what is your full name)?   My mother, Christina, (Chrissie) mentioned to me that Charles the son worked as a butcher Inthe cregagh area.  She thinks that John died in a motorcycle accident.    My mum will be delighted when I tell her that I gave uncovered more info about her family.

CMcG

« Reply #13 on: April 11, 2020, 10:37:49 PM »

It was Collyer Street.      My grandmothers (Minnie) birth certificate, born 17 07 07, shows that my great grandparents, Charles and Mary Robinson lived at Number 46.  I  believe that they also had 2 sons called John and Charles.    I would be grateful for any supporting information

Charles Robinson of 55 Collyer Street married Mary McMaster McLean on 28 January 1905 in St. Anne's Church of Ireland in Belfast, the civil marriage registration is free to view below:

https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/images/marriage_returns/marriages_1905/10149/5692941.pdf

Mary McMaster (McLean) Robinson died of TB at 40 Collyer Street on 21 June 1917:

https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/images/deaths_returns/deaths_1917/05216/4443096.pdf

Charles Robinson of 40 Collyer Street subsequently married Elizabeth May Hamilton on 25 May 1918 in St. Luke's Church of Ireland in Belfast:

https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/images/marriage_returns/marriages_1918/09707/5521685.pdf

If there are any images posted above that are important to you, take your own copy - I cannot guarantee they will appear indefinitely.

CMcG

« Reply #14 on: April 11, 2020, 10:55:31 PM »

Births registered for parents Charles Robinson and Mary McLean include:

- Minnie in 1907 @ 45 Collyer Street:
https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/images/birth_returns/births_1907/01689/1671147.pdf

- Charles in 1909 @ 8 Clanmorris Street:
https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/images/birth_returns/births_1909/01605/1644415.pdf

- Robert in 1911 @ 8 Clanmorris Street:
https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/images/birth_returns/births_1911/01532/1620953.pdf

- John in 1913 @ 52 Collyer Street:
https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/images/birth_returns/births_1913/01465/1597682.pdf

- Christina in 1914 @ 52 Collyer Street:
https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/images/birth_returns/births_1914/01414/1581115.pdf

- Daniel in 1916 @ 40 Collyer Street:
https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/images/birth_returns/births_1917/01314/1543236.pdf

If there are any images posted above that are important to you, take your own copy - I cannot guarantee they will appear indefinitely.