Author Topic: Anyone out there go to Edenderry secondary from 1954 thru 1958?  (Read 6509 times)

Wasup

Anyone out there go to Edenderry secondary from 1954 thru 1958?
« on: February 21, 2012, 08:48:30 PM »

I remember a few names:  Billy McFadden ( my mate) great guitatist and piano player.  Sammy Scott / John Dougan / Jim Scott / Elizabeth Baxter / Joan Faulkner / Richard Dunn .

dimples45

Re: Anyone out there go to Edenderry secondary from 1954 thru 1958?
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2012, 11:28:45 PM »
i remember billy he came from harrybrook st, do you remember him being on the tv show called Tea-Time With TOMMY..his dad also use to teach piano lessons.  i wentto edenderry 56-60.  dimples

Wasup

« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2012, 07:01:08 PM »
Hi dimples
Yeh Billy's dad tried teaching me to play guitar but being tone deaf didn't help.  I had left Belfast long before Billy got on telly.  He was so good on both piano and guitar from no age and played by ear just surprise he didn't go a lot further but he was a good friend and we had a lot of fun.

edmor

« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2012, 07:34:24 PM »
  I went to Finiston with Billy, he was a fantastic pianist.
Pox vobiscum     Savagin'  done....chape.    Hillbillies caint spel     Proud to be a usual suspect     REM 1697

johnnywood

« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2012, 07:06:46 PM »
hi wasap, my mother was joan faulkner (mccartney) ,unfortuantely she passed away 9th may 2000  @ 56 yrs

arty

« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2012, 12:18:41 PM »
Hi Wasup
I went to Edenderry from around 1956 to 1960 and recognise most of the names that you mentioned. You're right about Billy being talented. He was an excellent musican. I'm sure I would know you, but as we don't use our real names I can't work out who you are - very frustrating. We grew up in an era when Rock 'n' Roll was born and it was a very exciting time. Then when we experienced the transition into Flower Power and the emergence of The Swinging Sixties. What a time to be born! We had it all!
     Edenderry didn't nurture the Arts and the finer things in life. It was a tough school. I fondly remember Miss Richardson, or Ma Ricci as she was known  Claythorne was the bane of my life. I often wonder what has happened to all the people I knew. They will remain  teenagers forever in my memory, unless at some stage we meet again.

Arty

lindah7948

« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2012, 06:54:25 PM »
Hi there, are you talking about Elizabeth Baxter from Cambrai Street? If so, she is my aunt and moved to Canada over 30 years ago, but she is always flying home for visits. :)

alozzy

« Reply #7 on: April 11, 2012, 06:16:02 PM »
Hello everyone, Yep I remember Liz Baxter and her friend Sue?  I think she reminded us of Liz Taylor.
Mrs Doolin - English teacher was my favourite - Remember Starret? vice principal.. very tough!! 
Does anyone remember the day Billy Mc Fadden (shortly after he joined Edenderry)  fought with someone down an entry behind Vistulia street?  I believe he lost the fight.  He also played piano a few times in the assembly hall.  Excellent talent. 
There was also a student called Billy Skelly?  He loved to draw sailing ships.. another great talent!!
Jim Scott often wore a leather jacket (brown I think) that was sent to him by an overseas relative.

alf gamble

« Reply #8 on: April 25, 2012, 12:22:53 PM »
I attended Edenderry from 1951 to 1954.
The names I remember are,
Terry Connor, Norman Hunter,Sammy Wilson,Renee Cassidy,Molly Wilson.
When I entered school, I was the smallest and when I left I was still the smallest.
The bigger guys would carry me on their shoulders, like a mascot.
The advantage of being small was being protected from the Sweetie Bottle gang.

Freddy63

« Reply #9 on: May 21, 2014, 11:48:36 AM »
ANYONE OUT THERE FROM EDENDERRY SCHOOL GO TO
[/color][/font][/size]

Wasup

« Reply #10 on: May 23, 2014, 11:57:22 PM »
Hi johnnywood.   

Don't know how I missed all these posts,must be getting old I guess.  So sorry to hear about your Mum ( Joan )

We went out together for about a year when I first went to Edenderry.  So we were about 12 or so. Seems rather cute to say that now but I had a crush on her.  Hope she had a good life. Trouble with these kind of forums is you don't always get the news you want to hear.  All the best .

Wasup

« Reply #11 on: May 24, 2014, 12:17:28 AM »
Hi Lindah 7948

Seems like all the girls I've loved before have been mentioned on here. Elizabeth Baxter and I went " went out " together for about a couple of years when we were at school. So we would have been around 13 to 15 at that time. Elizabeth was a real looker and as someone else on the forum said she would remind you of Elizabeth Taylor. I was punching well above my weight I tell you!  We would hang around with Billy McFadden and his girl and make a foursome. Kids stuff of course. But they were great times and I was nuts about her.  She dumped me of course. I remember the reason but she was mistaken and I won't go into that.   If you ever speak to her give her my  regards and tell her Archie sends his love. She may not however appreciate that!

Wasup

« Reply #12 on: May 24, 2014, 12:40:55 AM »
Hi alozzy

You will have seen my post regarding  Elizabeth Baxter.   Remember all those teachers well. Some I felt sorry for. They were the ones who would break down in class because they couldn't handle us. I look back on those days and wonder why we behaved so badly. Do you remember that we would have competitions to see who could get the most canes in one day?  We would end up with hands the size of melons ?  How dumb were we!!! Remember Jim Scott well.  We also went to Sunday school at St Marys. That's not strictly true. Our parents THOUGHT we went to Sunday school. We actually went  trolling around the streets and spent the church donation money on cigs!!  I don't know if you are getting us mixed up or not. I don't remember Jim wearing a brown bomber jacket but I did although it was black not brown. My brother sent it over to me from Canada. I believe I was the only kid around who had a black leather jacket at that time ( although I could be mistaken) thought I was the bees knees. Good to hear from you. Take care.  ( I'm Archie Neill by the way. Now Harry Neill , didn't like the handle. lol.

Wasup

« Reply #13 on: May 24, 2014, 12:56:05 AM »
Hi alf gamble

Remember all those guys names well but faces not so good. So we must know each other. What class were you in?

Don't know why (  probably because I was stupid or lazy) but I dont really remember learning anything at  school!! So I guess I must have been in classes " C " or something. Terrible thing to admit too but I was more interested in girls and snooker ( in that order)  than learning anything. As I've said before my memories are of great times but not necessarily "in school" but just before the Bell and after the Bell if you get my drift. Couldn't wait to get into the North and get a game of snooker.  Anyway, look after yourself and good to hear from you.

Wasup

« Reply #14 on: May 24, 2014, 01:07:32 AM »
Hi arty

Couldn't agree more. Great times,great music and good friends.  Or do we kid ourselves?  I look back and they are all fond memories but I also remember my Mom was slowly dying during those last few years at school and wonder why I think they were great times?  Maybe we just like to remember the good times and maybe that's how it should be.   So keep taking the pills and keep going my beating heart!!!

Wasup