Author Topic: The last hanging  (Read 6838 times)

Townie

Re: The last hanging
« Reply #15 on: March 07, 2012, 07:42:35 PM »
No ,he took a long stretch instead ::)
Kopi Luwak

river rats

« Reply #16 on: March 08, 2012, 07:10:12 PM »
Do you remember the Belfast man who went to live in America and became a bus conductor. He pushed a woman off the bus and she was killed. They give him the Electric Chair they tried to do it three times but it did not work.
why?
Because he was a bad conductor
We are all in the gutter but some of us are looking at the stars

Townie

« Reply #17 on: March 08, 2012, 11:58:41 PM »
Pierpoint was the last hangman, I think .Father and son, it was a family concern.The south also used them , as try as they might, no Irishman ever volunteered to take up the job. I agree it was a skilled job and they took pride in their work. Apparently when Mc Gladdery was hung he broke his nose on the way down  and Pierpoint was annoyed as he never liked to hurt anyone. ???
Kopi Luwak

river rats

« Reply #18 on: March 09, 2012, 12:04:52 AM »
The strange thing is that Pierpoint  was against hanging at the end they say it was because he had to hang his friend
We are all in the gutter but some of us are looking at the stars

bert53

« Reply #19 on: March 10, 2012, 10:13:53 PM »

bert53

« Reply #20 on: March 10, 2012, 10:33:21 PM »
harry allen hanged robert mcgladdery albert pierrepoint  resignation 1956 never hang  in north but was assisted to his uncle in the south

edrite

« Reply #21 on: March 10, 2012, 11:14:47 PM »
THE LAST HANGMAN IN BRITAIN WAS "ALBERT PIERREPOINT" AFTER HIS RETIREMENT HE WAS THE LANDLORD
 OF A PUB IN MANCHESTER  , HE DIED IN1992, BUT ALWAYS MAINTAINED THAT HIS POSITION AS HANGMAN
 WAS NOT A TOPIC FOR DISCUSSION  ALTHOUGH IN FORMAL INTERVIEWS, HE ALWAYS STATED THAT HE SAW
IT AS A NECESSARY PART OF ANY LAW -ABIDING SOCIETY
                                                                                            EDRITE

jmac

« Reply #22 on: March 10, 2012, 11:28:11 PM »
In 1889 Arthur McKeown was hanged in belfast for beating his common-law wife to death for refusing to leave her lover to attend to their sick child
Illegitimi Non Carborundum.

Ubique

Me Ould Segoia

« Reply #23 on: March 11, 2012, 01:45:36 AM »
THE LAST HANGMAN IN BRITAIN WAS "ALBERT PIERREPOINT" AFTER HIS RETIREMENT HE WAS THE LANDLORD
 OF A PUB IN MANCHESTER  , HE DIED IN1992, BUT ALWAYS MAINTAINED THAT HIS POSITION AS HANGMAN
 WAS NOT A TOPIC FOR DISCUSSION  ALTHOUGH IN FORMAL INTERVIEWS, HE ALWAYS STATED THAT HE SAW
IT AS A NECESSARY PART OF ANY LAW -ABIDING SOCIETY
                                                                                            EDRITE

Not possible.  The last two hangings in Britain were in 1964, one in Liverpool, one in Manchester at exactly the same time on the same day.  Difficult for Albert to be in two places at the same time
It is always a great source of amusement to be quoted by a fool, even more so if quoted by a disalusioned "stickie"

Townie

« Reply #24 on: March 11, 2012, 02:15:25 AM »
The hangings of Harry Allen -[/font]
23rd July 1957John Wilson VickersDurham4th December 1957Dennis HowardWinson Green Birmingham11th July 1958Peter Thomas ManuelBarlinnie Glasgow12th August 1958Mathew KavanaghWinson Green Birmingham3rd September 1958Franks StokesDurham10th February 1959Ernest Raymond JonesArmley Leeds28th April 1959Joseph ChrimesPentonville8th May 1958Ronald Henry MarwoodPentonville14th August 1959Bernard Hugh WaldenArmley Leeds9th October 1959Francis Joseph HuchetNewgate Street Saint Helier9th November 1959Guenther Fritz PodolaWandsworth1st September 1960John Louis ConstantineLincoln10th November 1960Frances George ForsythWandsworth22nd December 1960Anthony Joseph MllerBarlinnie Glasgow27th January 1961Wasyl GnypiukLincoln9th February 1961George RileyShrewsbury29th March 1961John DayBedford25th May 1961Victor John TerryWandsworth29th June 1961Zsiga PankotalArmley Leeds6th July 1961Edwin Albert BushPentonville25th July 1961Samuel McLaughlinBelfast8th September 1961Hendryck NiemszWandsworth20th December 1961Robert Andrew McGladderyBelfast4th April 1962James HanrattyBedford20th November 1962Oswald Augustine GreyWinson Green Birmingham28th November 1962James SmithStrangeways Manchester15th August 1963Henry John BurnettAberdeen17th December 1963Russell PascoeBristol13th August 1964Gwynne Owen EvansStrangeways Manchester
[/color][/font][/size]
Kopi Luwak

Townie

« Reply #25 on: March 11, 2012, 02:55:43 AM »
The next year after this Harry was present at Strangeways Prison, Manchester, on the 13th August 1964, at 8 a. m., for the hanging of Gwynne Owen Evans (real name John Robson Walby), who was hung at the same time that in Walton Prison, Liverpool, Peter Allan, his accomplice, was also hanged by Harrys then partner, Robert Leslie Stewart from Edinburgh.[/font]
There were rumours that the more experienced hangman, Harry Allen, had anticipated hanging both Allen and Owen together at Strangeways but this was a practice that had been frowned upon for some years.[/font]
Harry had been miffed nonetheless.[/font]
These were the last ever hangings in Britain, and were the last men to suffer the death penalty. :o [/font]
Kopi Luwak

Townie

« Reply #26 on: March 11, 2012, 03:09:11 AM »
Michael Manning was a 25-year-old carter from Limerick who on Tuesday 20 April 1954 (the day after the Easter Monday holiday), became the 24th and last person (after the amnesty granted by the State at the end of the Irish Civil War in November 1924) to be executed in the Republic of Ireland.[/size]
He had been found guilty the previous February of the capital murder of Catherine Cooper, a 65-year-old nurse, who worked at Barrington's Hospital in the city.[/size]
The execution by hanging was carried out in Mountjoy Prison, Dublin by Albert Pierrepoint, who had travelled from Britain where he was one of three Senior Executioners. A fellow inmate of Manning's recalled later,Friends of mine who worked with me, I was serving my time at the time, went up to visit him on the Sunday before he was hanged. And they went to mass and holy communion together and they played a game of handball that day. He couldn't have been more normal.[/size]
Manning's body was buried in an unmarked grave in a yard at Mountjoy Prison.[/size]
The death penalty was abolished in 1964 for all but the murder of gardaí, diplomats and prison officers. It was abolished by statute for these remaining offences in 1990 and was finally expunged from theConstitution of Ireland by a referendum in 2001.[/size]
The hanging of Michael Manning inspired a play by Ciaran Creagh. Creagh's father, Timothy, was one of the two prison officers who stayed with Michael Manning on his last night and Last Call is loosely based on what happened. It was shown in Mountjoy Prison's theatre for three nights in June 2006.[/size]
Kopi Luwak

Joe 90

« Reply #27 on: March 11, 2012, 12:24:20 PM »
Pierpoint was the last hangman, I think .Father and son, it was a family concern.The south also used them , as try as they might, no Irishman ever volunteered to take up the job. I agree it was a skilled job and they took pride in their work. Apparently when Mc Gladdery was hung he broke his nose on the way down  and Pierpoint was annoyed as he never liked to hurt anyone. ???
Pierpoint wasn't the last hangman, as he retired/resigned in about 1956, after a row about payment for a hanging that was cancelled. Hangings went on till about 1964.

bert53

« Reply #28 on: March 11, 2012, 04:14:39 PM »

johnnymac

« Reply #29 on: March 11, 2012, 07:47:06 PM »
In 1981 I took a couple of American reporters on a walking tour of the lower Falls and the Shankill/Crumlin Road area. I warned them that taking photos of police stations, prisons or security forces might land them in a bit of bother. We stopped at Crumlin Road  Jail where I told them something of the history of the building including the hanging of Robert McGladdery. They just couldn't resist taking a pic of the building. Within minutes an army patrol had descended on us and their film was confiscated. With NI being the biggest open air prison camp in the world at that time, that was to be expected.