Author Topic: The last hanging  (Read 6796 times)

Townie

Re: The last hanging
« Reply #30 on: March 11, 2012, 07:56:49 PM »
Tell them not to worry johnnymac .Under the 100 year rule they will get the film back in 2081 ::)
Kopi Luwak

edrite

« Reply #31 on: November 29, 2012, 11:09:50 PM »
 Albert Pierrepoint was the Hangman for many years. He was the Landlord of a Pub
 in Manchester
                      edrite

Pennywhistle

« Reply #32 on: November 29, 2012, 11:48:24 PM »

Did the "Tour" of the Crumlin Road Prison on Tuesday there,Being now of "concession age" got through the door for 6 quid,otherwise it's 7.50 new pence.Prior to the visit I was of the belief that the McGladdery execution was the one I remembered and not quite 10 years of age.I remembered the day as being like the prelude to a thunderstorm,very oppressive and folk round our way were very quiet and standing in small groups.I must have been the McLaughlin execution given the July date and  I was off school.

On the visit,I took many pics.but was in awe when we entered the "Hanging room".and put the camera away.To think you can stand at the trap door,then descend the steps to where the prisoner was " taken down",was very sobering and the coffin "prop" was a wee shockThe visit ends at the last resting place of those hanged,minus Tom Williams,since disinterred and conveyed to The Republican Plot at Milltown.

The visit,of about one hours duration, is a quick trot down the age of the jail and to my mind neatly skirts the more contemporary "or Troubles" aspect.Just glad I was never an inmate.If you are in town,it's a few quid well spent.
" Kitchen house reared and still,rough as Purdy Oaten ".

Pennywhistle

« Reply #33 on: November 30, 2012, 12:19:00 AM »
Some tools of the "Trade".

Pennywhistle

« Reply #34 on: November 30, 2012, 12:23:57 AM »

Bigali

« Reply #35 on: November 30, 2012, 12:44:36 AM »
One of my good buddy's Dad was McGladderys guard in the days prior to his execution, buddy has the pencil with which McGladdery wrote his last letters .
Support Soldier F Support Soldier B

The courageous deeds and sacrifices of the RUC and UDR must never be airbrushed from history .

Lewis Monty

« Reply #36 on: December 01, 2012, 11:52:43 AM »
I remember being up the town with my Ma the day McGladdery was hanged. I can still remember how it was one of the darkest days even for December. Really spooky at the time.
Monty
Omnia in finem bona sunt. Si non bona non finis est.

jemmy hope

« Reply #37 on: December 01, 2012, 03:13:07 PM »
Some interesting stuff about Albert Pierpoint here.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/brizzlebornandbred/2060701410/
Two silly oul monarchs in battle did join, each wanting his head on the back of a coin, if the irish had sense they would throw both in the boyne.

REP1

« Reply #38 on: December 07, 2012, 07:12:41 PM »
This is the hanging cell in the Crum, only in Belfast could you have such a notice above the door.
Indifference is the essence of inhumanity

tboy

« Reply #39 on: December 07, 2012, 07:43:01 PM »
I remember being up the town with my Ma the day McGladdery was hanged. I can still remember how it was one of the darkest days even for December. Really spooky at the time.
well said ;)

Loiste na mona

« Reply #40 on: February 07, 2019, 03:56:09 PM »

Liam Holden was later acquitted of all charges.

Loiste na mona

« Reply #41 on: February 07, 2019, 03:59:11 PM »
In 1889 Arthur McKeown was hanged in belfast for beating his common-law wife to death for refusing to leave her lover to attend to their sick child

Mary Jane Phillips was not murdered because refused to leave her lover,

Lost Login

« Reply #42 on: February 07, 2019, 10:47:52 PM »
Could we start to imagine the personality that the hang man had ? how did sleep at night or go about his daily life knowing what his job was.

Child murderer Simon McGeown was hanged in the Crumlin Rd Gaol in 1922 for the murder of nine-year old Maggie Fullerton. The hangman was John Ellis who hanged Sir Roger Casement. In January 1923 he reluctantly executed Edith Thompson, aged 28. The execution was illegal as she was pregnant at the time. Her conviction has recently been proved unsafe. Ellis was left traumatised by what he did and took his own life in 1932.
Not available in Northern Ireland.

Bigali

« Reply #43 on: February 08, 2019, 06:37:16 AM »
Child murderer Simon McGeown was hanged in the Crumlin Rd Gaol in 1922 for the murder of nine-year old Maggie Fullerton. The hangman was John Ellis who hanged Sir Roger Casement. In January 1923 he reluctantly executed Edith Thompson, aged 28. The execution was illegal as she was pregnant at the time. Her conviction has recently been proved unsafe. Ellis was left traumatised by what he did and took his own life in 1932.

Was it known before Thompsons execution that she was pregnant ? If not how would the execution be illegal?
Support Soldier F Support Soldier B

The courageous deeds and sacrifices of the RUC and UDR must never be airbrushed from history .