Author Topic: Antrim Road Baptist Church  (Read 11871 times)

alocin66

Antrim Road Baptist Church
« on: March 10, 2012, 09:39:37 PM »
Would anyone have a photo of this church  - perhaps from mid 1940s upto mid 1960s?

Many thanks,

Nic

Zan de Man

Re: Antrim Road Baptist Church
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2012, 09:41:50 PM »
I have to admit that I lived off the Antrim Road for years and I don't even know where it is.

alocin66

« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2012, 11:47:40 AM »
It's 246 Antrim Road, just past Duncairn Post Office.

My grandfather was the Minister there for a fair few years and I was hoping to find a picture!

Nic

Zan de Man

« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2012, 03:00:28 PM »
I know the area, but can't recall the building.  It doesn't even show up on a Google search.

maura

Zan de Man

« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2012, 05:07:57 PM »
Ah, now I remember the building. Thanks Maura.  It was near Eia Street.  Interesting name for the street.  I was told it was named after the initials of Edward Ignatius Allworthy, after whom Allworthy Avenue was also named.  He must have been an important man.  I'll have to look him up.

apalachie

« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2012, 09:38:08 PM »
Would anyone have a photo of this church  - perhaps from mid 1940s upto mid 1960s?

Many thanks,

Nic

Alocin66,, Here is a pic of the church you speak of, it is situated at the junction of Antrim Rd and Duncairn Ave right opposite the top of the New Lodge Rd.
Zan de Man, Alworthy Ave was indeed named after Captain Alworthy and Eia St was named after his three daughters, Eliza, Ivy and Anne. He was a major property developer in the area at that time and lived up in Salisbury Ave.
Oh for all our yesterdays.

maura

« Reply #7 on: March 17, 2012, 05:04:53 PM »

Alocin66,, Here is a pic of the church you speak of, it is situated at the junction of Antrim Rd and Duncairn Ave right opposite the top of the New Lodge Rd.
Zan de Man, Alworthy Ave was indeed named after Captain Alworthy and Eia St was named after his three daughters, Eliza, Ivy and Anne. He was a major property developer in the area at that time and lived up in Salisbury Ave.

This isn't the baptised church, the one alocin66 after is up from Allworthy Ave, rougly facing Manny's

Zan de Man

« Reply #8 on: March 17, 2012, 08:40:00 PM »

Well, thanks for solving that mystery Apalachie.  No wonder I couldn't find Edward Ignatius Allworthy.

apalachie

« Reply #9 on: March 18, 2012, 08:10:18 PM »
http://antrimroadbaptistbelfast.org.uk/home.htm
Sorry Maura, I should have read Alocin's post right and looked at your link as well, I'll consider my knuckles well and truly rapped.
Oh for all our yesterdays.

rpbert1

« Reply #11 on: December 09, 2012, 11:14:55 PM »
sorry no pics , but i attended the BB there in the 60s

jazzwamp

« Reply #12 on: May 13, 2013, 12:16:55 AM »
There is a different Baptist Church near Allworthy Avenue In Belfast.  I was recently there, tracing my Great-Grandfather who lived on Allworthy Avenue and attended the Church with his family until 1907.  I have a current picture if anyone wants to email me.  It is not the same church in the picture.  The pastor told me they were different churches.  My ancestor died in 1895 and his family emigrated to America in 1907.

harrydunn

« Reply #13 on: May 13, 2013, 01:00:15 PM »
Think this is the St James Church in the previous photo Church of Ireland. it was in St Peters 7 St James Parish St peters Church is opp North Circular Road.
St. James
St. James' Church was consecrated on 2nd March 1871 by Bishop Knox.
The style of the church is decorated gothic and it is built in sandstone from St. Bees, Cumberland, with Westmoreland green slate for the roof.  The tower is surmounted by a metal cross.

The church was enlarged in 1881 to provide for 300 additional seats by lengthening the nave and widening and lengthening the north aisle.

The church was destroyed by enemy action on the night of 15th/16th April 1941.  The tower, steeple and belfry remain intact having survived the bombing.
The church was rebuilt and the new church was consecrated on 11th September 1954.

The new church is erected on the old foundations and architecturally follows the original with modifications.  The south aisle is arranged as a side chapel and is known as the Mothers' Union Chapel; a baptistery and library are screened off at the west end.

On 7th November 1996, the Diocesan Council grouped the Parish of St. James with the Parish of St. Peter.  On 1st October 2005 the grouped parishes became one united parish, and St James closed for worship on June 29th 2008.

theengineer

« Reply #14 on: June 01, 2013, 06:42:35 PM »
sorry no pics , but i attended the BB there in the 60s
Was that the 26th ?