Author Topic: Antrim Road Baptist Church  (Read 11870 times)

rpbert1

Re: Antrim Road Baptist Church
« Reply #15 on: June 18, 2013, 11:53:56 PM »
Was that the 26th ?

Yes it was the 26th

Helen Winters

« Reply #16 on: August 01, 2014, 07:57:23 PM »
Yes the photo is of St. James Parish Church and I went to Sunday school there in the 50's.  Lived at 198 Duncairn Gdns. (Medleys Shop).  I attended Antrim Road Public elementary school (the Bap) which was the hall attached to the Antrim Road Baptist Church  in the 1950's and then to Girls Model.  Have looked everywhere for information on the primary school and cannot trace any.

Brown low

« Reply #17 on: December 06, 2014, 07:26:29 AM »
Mr Marks was a teacher in the Bap. He was later Principal of Antrim Primary School. He was also a former Mayor in Antrim Council. He died a few years ago. He said that when interviewed for the teaching post for the Bap, he was asked did he smoke when he answered no he was told the job was his.

ROBIN S McCARTNEY

« Reply #18 on: January 20, 2015, 12:41:08 PM »
The Boys' Brigade Company was indeed the 26th. One of the past Captains was a Mr Irwin. They used to go to camp with the 28th Company (Agnes Street Presbyterian) and the 69th Company (Clifton Street United Presbyterian). Some great camps.

Harryg423

« Reply #19 on: January 20, 2015, 01:05:24 PM »
Hi robin
Were you in the 28th Company? As I was in the 28th Company and went to camp with the 69th Company and the 103rd Company from East Belfast in the 1960s.

ROBIN S McCARTNEY

« Reply #20 on: January 20, 2015, 09:35:09 PM »
Hi Harry423,
I was an officer in the 28th when Sam Crothers was Captain. I played the euphonium in the BB band. Some of the officers in my time were:- John Stephens (we are still close friends), David Harvey, Harold Morrison, David Black, Tom Courtney, Tom Davis (my brother-in-law), David Capper, Brian Clenaghan.

Harryg423

« Reply #21 on: January 20, 2015, 10:05:57 PM »
Robin
I see you are a newbie like myself good to hear that John is still doing well. I have not seen him for years. I was in Company with Davy Chisholm, Denis Light, Roy Rainey, Harry McDonald, the Stone brothers Norman & Desi (I think).

gismo

« Reply #22 on: February 16, 2015, 12:05:52 AM »
some people have lost the plot the church was just facing mannyes chippy on the antrim rd gismo

Sammy Hawthorne

« Reply #23 on: November 18, 2015, 07:09:56 PM »
My Mor an Far were married in the church around 1932 time.

I will see if I can find some photographs. Give me a wee while Eh?

Helen Winters

« Reply #24 on: November 19, 2015, 03:48:15 PM »
I didnt belong to the Antrim Road Baptist Church.  There was a primary school  on the church premises & I started school must have been 1951.  Mr Figgins was Headmaster, Miss Boggs, was deputy. Cannot find any information on the forum about the primary school  After primary school went to Girls Model.  We belonged to St. James Church of Ireland, bottom of Cliftonville Rd opposite the Jaffe School.  In S. Africa since 1976 .

sj

« Reply #25 on: November 21, 2015, 09:20:36 AM »
some people have lost the plot the church was just facing mannyes chippy on the antrim rd gismo

The church opposite the New Lodge Rd was 21st Presbyterian.

Robin Mc Cartney I knew David Capper very well but lost contact with him .  I heard that he helped to run the Duke of Edinburgh scheme and eventually went to live in Craigavon.   We used to play cricket, soccer, tennis at Alexandra Park grass courts, swimming,pitch & putt and the blokes in the area had a new footy competition for a number of years . If he is the same person. Do you have any contact with him.  I am now in Australia.
Sam.
I'm patient with stupidity but not with those who are proud of it ...

Lost Login

« Reply #26 on: March 31, 2017, 08:03:51 PM »
My mum (Maureen Crozier) went to The Bap until the Blitz in 1941. She remembers Mr. Figgins as the headmaster. He loved using the cane. To him, the cane was mightier than the board. Betty Rollo sat beside her in class. Some of the boy's names: Ivan Foster, Oswald Jamison, Trevor Stirling and Robin Shaw. Irvine Jones, Stuart McKay and Forrester Figgins, the head master's son. Also Leslie Ferris.
Not available in Northern Ireland.

john hayess

« Reply #27 on: October 07, 2019, 11:09:25 PM »
Hi does anyone know a H Irwin or Irvine member off the Antrim road Baptist church 1950/60