Author Topic: ROSARIO PRIMARY SCHOOL SUNNYSIDE STREET Early 1950s  (Read 42615 times)

liamo1

Re: ROSARIO PRIMARY SCHOOL SUNNYSIDE STREET Early 1950s
« Reply #15 on: September 02, 2014, 09:00:36 PM »
Hey Dub. .you posted.

" Front row 3rd from left Jack Duffy (Kimberly Street) 5th from left Jacky Duffin ( Walmer Street) 2nd row 5th from left Sean Kielty RIP ( Raby Street )3rd row 5th from left  Ray McGuirr RIP ( Raby Street )Top row 3rd from left James Scullon RIP ( Walmer Street )"

????????????????????    May I ask how do you know that those three are Deceased..?? I remember them all. .God Lord..they all died very young. Are there any other old Rosario Boys or Girls from the period.....1950-1 to 1956-7 that you are in touch with..or know of..?. I did see a post from Jack Duffy a year or two back and I responded but then he just disappeared.....didnt post again..????.I am in touch with Kevin Langley but apart from Kevin no other ex Rosario boys...)))                                                               

teragram

« Reply #16 on: September 02, 2014, 09:38:16 PM »
Jackie Duffy lives around Rosetta. I see him the odd time.
If you don't do it you won't get caught.

Dub

« Reply #17 on: September 02, 2014, 11:48:34 PM »
Hey Dub. .you posted.

" Front row 3rd from left Jack Duffy (Kimberly Street) 5th from left Jacky Duffin ( Walmer Street)2nd row 5th from left Sean Kielty RIP ( Raby Street )3rd row 5th from left  Ray McGuirr RIP ( Raby Street )Top row 3rd from left James Scullon RIP ( Walmer Street )"

??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??    May I ask how do you know that those three are Deceased..?? I remember them all. .God Lord..they all died very young. Are there any other old Rosario Boys or Girls from the period.....1950-1 to 1956-7 that you are in touch with..or know of..?. I did see a post from Jack Duffy a year or two back and I responded but then he just disappeared.....didnt post again.. ??? ?.I am in touch with Kevin Langley but apart from Kevin no other ex Rosario boys...)))                                                               
Hi Liamo 1, I was born in the Market area and went to primary school there, later moved to Haywood Avenue in the late 50s, I  never went to Rosario, but went to Bearnageeha . All the lads I named also went there also. I knew all the named lads well. James Scullon died a number of years ago, he was a good friend of my brother. Ray McGuirr died in Australia a number of years ago, Ray was a very good basketball player he played for Northern Ireland along with Alex Fields at schools level Alex also lived in Raby Street but has lived in England since 1962.  Sean Kielty died about 3 or four years ago. Jack Duffy was a  very good friend of my eldest Brother who died 12 years ago. Jack Duffy was at his funeral.
I meet up with Jack Duffin a few times a year when a group of ex" Barney" boys get together in Belfast.
My Sister in law Ann Day is in one of the photos. I have been living in Dublin 37 years now.
I  have met up with Audrey Fields a few times recently, and also made contact by email with Bridie Martin whose older brother and sister went there in the fifties.
Bridie's sister is Annamay Martin. Audrey Fields and Annamay were in the same class together in Rosario.
                                                                                                                                                    All the best, Dub.
                                             All the best, Dub.
If you don't read the papers,you are not informed.
When you do read the papers, you are misinformed.  ( Mark Twain. )

liamo1

« Reply #18 on: September 03, 2014, 12:52:41 AM »
Ha...small World..I am in Malahide. .I dont know any of the Girls names you mention...BUT check your Photo again....As I remember the names and faces..(and its been 55 years)...I had Raymond McGuirr as being the  2nd Row 5th from left and Sean Kielty as 3rd Row 5th from left.??????  ...I remember Raymond McGuirr as having glasses...thick glasses.. and he played Basketball..????? didnt seem the type to be a Basketball player. .My brother Seamus also went to Rosario ...was one year ahead of me..and he also played International Basketball. .I do have this Same Photo somewhere on the computer and MOST of the names of the guys in the Photo are on that copy...just a few missing.....but you have added two more names..and I had Scullion down as Scully..?

Dub

« Reply #19 on: September 03, 2014, 09:24:15 AM »
 Hi Liamo1, we are talking about the same people. I have the first row as the front, you have it at the back. Yes Ray was a very good basket ball player. James Scullon was called Scully by everybody who knew him. I have another name for you Bart McCormick, 2nd row 3rd from left. (he also went to Bearnageeha ).
The school wall separated the boys and girls so it's not surprising that you didn't get to know any of the girls.
Did your brother play for Rosario basketball team? He may know a good friend of mine Sam O'Neil who also played International basketball. Sam now lives in Australia but writes often in the forum. He was back in Ireland a month ago and stayed with me overnight. I drove him North the next day. I stayed with Sam a few years ago when he lived north of Cairns. he now lives in Brisbane. I put a photo on the Bearnageeha thread a few weeks ago when a few of us Barney boys got together in Belfast. Sam is in it.
 All the best, Dub.

liamo1

« Reply #20 on: September 03, 2014, 10:38:17 AM »
Oh YES...I remember Bart McCormick. .Thanks you have added another Name to the Photo.....I will check with brother re SamO'Neill.....No as far as I remember my brother initially played basketball for St. Malachy's College...but not Rosario..))..Cheers....(I hope eventually to get names for all the Guys in that photo...BUT wishful thinking that I (we) may eventually get up to date status on them all...where they are..what they did etc..

notguilty

« Reply #21 on: September 03, 2014, 12:03:50 PM »
Did not attend that school but lived in the area. Knew a few but they have been already named,
Don't think anyone has mentioned top row five from the left Brendan Burns.
Know some other faces but getting their names is doing my head in !

liamo1

« Reply #22 on: September 03, 2014, 12:12:55 PM »
Many Thanks ...Brendan Burns...You have just added another name That I forgot..)))...
Cheers
Liam

Dub

« Reply #23 on: September 03, 2014, 01:14:34 PM »
I didn't recognize Brendan, we used to go pigeon shooting together. He was also a very good artist. I heard that Brendan had died a short while ago.
Liamo1 and notguilty,  try and get the other names on the photo.
Sam O'Neil also went to St. Malachy's College for a while. and then went back to Bearnageeha.
                                                                                                          All the best, Dub.

servialeeson

Re: ROSARIO PRIMARY to BEARNAGEEHA 1958 - 1960
« Reply #24 on: September 04, 2014, 04:09:21 PM »
I'm not from the Ormeau, but I started St Patrick's on the Antrim Road in September 1958 along with a number of guys from Sunnyside Street, etc.  Sammy Walsh; Denis Shiels (?); Jack Duffy, Jake Duffin, ? Jimmy (?) McClarnon and probably others as well.  I think D Shiels (?) had a brother who played for Sheffield United!

2C and 3C were the classes in which I knew them.  I trust they are all still alive! 

liamo1

« Reply #25 on: September 04, 2014, 04:23:11 PM »
I think you must mean Terry Sheils. ?? Denis was the brother who played for Distillery and Sheffield United..? .My God..Sammy Walsh..? Whatever happened to him..? Anybody know...Jack Duffy is alive and well..at least he was last night when I talked to him.))))

servialeeson

« Reply #26 on: September 04, 2014, 04:46:16 PM »
You are correct - it was Terry Shiels.  The last time I saw Sam Walsh was round about 1970/71 when he was the bus conductor on a Queen's Road bus I was a passenger on.  Jackie Duffy I last saw when I was working at electrical contracting at the New Belfast Abattoir in Duncrue Street.  I have not seen that many former Bearnageeha guys from Ormeau, or anywhere else, since I left in 1960 after the Junior Technical Exam.

liamo1

« Reply #27 on: September 04, 2014, 05:14:38 PM »
You are correct - it was Terry Shiels.  The last time I saw Sam Walsh was round about 1970/71 when he was the bus conductor on a Queen's Road bus I was a passenger on.  Jackie Duffy I last saw when I was working at electrical contracting at the New Belfast Abattoir in Duncrue Street.  I have not seen that many former Bearnageeha guys from Ormeau, or anywhere else, since I left in 1960 after the Junior Technical Exam.
Do you remember a Ryan Gorman in that lot that arrived from Rosario.....He lived on Coyle's Place on the corner of Donegall Pass and Ormeau Road..?..?

Dub

Re: ROSARIO PRIMARY to BEARNAGEEHA 1958 - 1960
« Reply #28 on: September 04, 2014, 05:39:38 PM »
I'm not from the Ormeau, but I started St Patrick's on the Antrim Road in September 1958 along with a number of guys from Sunnyside Street, etc.  Sammy Walsh; Denis Shiels (?); Jack Duffy, Jake Duffin, ? Jimmy (?) McClarnon and probably others as well.  I think D Shiels (?) had a brother who played for Sheffield United!

2C and 3C were the classes in which I knew them.  I trust they are all still alive!
Hi servialleeson,  I was in the same class as you in Barney. I'll send you a PM.  Some of your old class mates  meet up a few times a year, you will have to come meet up the next time. If you look on the Bearnageeha thread you will see a few faces from your old class but you may not recognize them. I have some individual photos from the school register, you may one of them.
 All the best, Dub.

road hog

« Reply #29 on: September 18, 2014, 07:39:06 AM »
Went to Guzzies with a few boys that went to Rosario, hope I get this right. Joe Alsopp, Jim Hawkins, Colin Boyle, ????
ET VERBUM CARO FACTUM EST

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy