Author Topic: st augustines  (Read 209726 times)

marty1953

Re: st augustines
« Reply #1275 on: October 04, 2018, 08:08:00 PM »
replying to Sonnyboy,the vice,was a lecturer in the old ranch,long gone.
its now ST Genevieves.
getting back to the point made by BEARLA FEIRSTE,hes correct ,airbrushed from history.
The mass intimidation of theCatholic population of east belfast,would make a great film

olelad

« Reply #1276 on: October 06, 2018, 11:14:55 PM »
replying to Sonnyboy,the vice,was a lecturer in the old ranch,long gone.
its now ST Genevieves.
getting back to the point made by BEARLA FEIRSTE,hes correct ,airbrushed from history.
The mass intimidation of theCatholic population of east belfast,would make a great film

I was part of those put out back then r story should be told !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :)

marty1953

« Reply #1277 on: October 08, 2018, 12:25:50 PM »
but the story will never be told.
even during the anniversary of St Anthony's the PP,was very guarded in his remarks.
on an other note,what year was Tiny Kerr at St Augustine's ,somebody said he wrote a book or became very successful
in the business world.

bjay

« Reply #1278 on: October 08, 2018, 03:05:22 PM »
Tiny started around 1963 when the school opened, although he was not a first year I think.
He was from West Belfast.  Him and a number of others were bussed in due to the lack of schools in the West at that time. His father had a prosperous building firm based in La Salle Drive.

marty1953

« Reply #1279 on: October 09, 2018, 09:44:57 AM »
always thought Tiny was from South/East Belfast.
my wife got chatting to the present Mrs Kerr ,she was saying hes 70 soon ,they were heading off to Italy.
He was at Gusties the same time as Brendan Sturgeon[rip].

olelad

« Reply #1280 on: October 09, 2018, 11:35:21 PM »
but the story will never be told.
even during the anniversary of St Anthony's the PP,was very guarded in his remarks.
on an other note,what year was Tiny Kerr at St Augustine's ,somebody said he wrote a book or became very successful
in the business world.

the pp never lived there back in the 70s so he knows sod all about it (apart from whats hes read/told) its up to someone who lived back in the parish in the 70s who be best to write about it.

bjay

« Reply #1281 on: October 10, 2018, 09:29:50 PM »

Marty, please note post from 2009 I came across.

casper[size=0.85em]Newbie[/li]
[li]*[/li]
[li]Posts: 16[/li]
[li]

« Reply #283 on: September 07, 2009, 09:14:37 AM »

Tiny Kerr.  His name was Patrick & he was one of the first prefects, along with Michael May. I started St Augustine's at the same time as him in '63.  He was a big [censored] who didn't mind shoving his weight about, but I actually got on very well with him later on.  His dad owned Kerr Constriction, I think they were based in La Salle Drive.  Tiny was a good athlete & at the sports days lifted the "Senior Victor Ludorum" prize for top athlete.

marty1953

« Reply #1282 on: October 11, 2018, 06:13:00 PM »
Hi Olelad,I know the PP wasn’t there during that terrible time.
But he glossed over it.
I wasn’t alive during the war,but still have an opinion on it .
Maybe he felt wasn’t time or place.
Just felt it might have been an acknowledgment too the suffering that went before him.

olelad

« Reply #1283 on: October 11, 2018, 10:57:40 PM »
Hi Olelad,I know the PP wasn’t there during that terrible time.
But he glossed over it.
I wasn’t alive during the war,but still have an opinion on it .
Maybe he felt wasn’t time or place.
Just felt it might have been an acknowledgment too the suffering that went before him.

its like all opinions you either can take them or leave them. none of the priests are alive who were there back in the day. maybe someone will surprise us and come out with a book about what happened/

SK

« Reply #1284 on: December 01, 2018, 10:15:40 PM »
Mr McElhatton Mr Carey
REP1, are those stills from a video made by McCann the science teacher? I think didn't he film a dinner for pupils in the canteen? Possibly a dinner for the 25th anniversary of the school opening?

Is the film online somewhere?

REP1

« Reply #1285 on: December 03, 2018, 03:45:26 PM »
Hi SK, and welcome to the forum. Re the photos I haven't a clue but they do look like they from a video capture.
Indifference is the essence of inhumanity