Author Topic: st augustines  (Read 232197 times)

marty1953

Re: st augustines
« Reply #1380 on: June 05, 2020, 08:34:19 PM »
bjay..nobody has a social life now..
I’m almost 13 stone..before lockdown..just over 12&half. Stone.
Your beside Rosario?
Maybe help out with one of the junior teams?
I did it .for 12 yrs at Aquinas..might go back if my Grandson takes up Football  .

bjay

« Reply #1381 on: June 05, 2020, 08:56:54 PM »
After the schools cup win the standards in the school teams went down drastically. I played right back for a while and a fella called Toland from Clondff played left back. He was good and I was rubbish, a schoolboy Chopper Harris. Tommy Smith or Norman Hunter had nothing on me.  Remember the Brennans well from 'Gusties who were major players in building up the Aquinas club. It had a mixed squad when first set up, and may well still have.

marty1953

« Reply #1382 on: June 06, 2020, 02:39:26 PM »
Yeah ,Des Brennan was Chairman of Aquinas .
Very good footballer also.
His Grandchildren with Aquinas playing Mini Soccer.
The Tolands lived in same Street as me.
Fred,Stephen,Bill..never knew they played?
Martin Shiels played in that cup winning team..
Got a pic somewhere of team.

Gerry Carr

« Reply #1383 on: June 13, 2020, 05:07:04 AM »

Ah, this must be what it feels like to be airbrushed from history, just like George Bailey (’It’s a Wonderful Life’)!

Bill was asking about football players in the 67-72 era during his time at St. Augustines.

Goalkeepers were Kieran O'Hagan, Shane Mc Cann and Sammy Stopford.
Raymond Brennan was full back, Gerry O'Donnell and Joe Allsopp were centre backs.
Seamus Young played mid field.

Others in the year were , in no particular order , Jackie Mc Ilhone, Paul Short, Mattsy Gilbride, Dessie Armstrong, Sean Dempsey, Kevin Hoey, Gerard Kelly, Gerard Rooney, Gerry Sloan,
Packy Stevenson, Joe Mallon, Paul Mc Ardle , Geezer Mc Gee, Paddy Mc Shane , Paddy Thomas, Peachy Mc Dermott, Craig Estle, Danny Mc Coy , Toastie Mc Coy, Danny Gillis, Sean Watterson, Gerard Mullan, Jock Mc Gregor, Patsie O'Neill, Paddy Duffin, Tom Hannity, Tom Donnelly, Brian Harvey, Brian Graham , Jim Hawkins, Jim Carlin, Jim Mc Guckin, Jim Murtagh,Harry Pye, Willie Jones.

Others who joined were Kipper Kerr, Felix Mooney , Brendan Sheridan, Bernard Dorrian, Gerard Hughes, Noel Bradley.

bjay

« Reply #1384 on: June 13, 2020, 10:39:11 AM »
Not forgetting Jim Hawkins and Gerard Carr from Rutland St.  

Gerry Carr

« Reply #1385 on: June 13, 2020, 03:18:02 PM »

Thank you bjay. You’ve got me at a disadvantage, ID-wise!!!

Not forgetting Jim Hawkins and Gerard Carr from Rutland St.

Gus123a

« Reply #1386 on: June 13, 2020, 03:20:27 PM »
Better team 63-66 !! Lol

bjay

« Reply #1387 on: June 13, 2020, 05:59:18 PM »
Gerry, I was keeping the best for last.  As the song goes you were always on my mind  :P :P :P

Gus123a

« Reply #1388 on: June 13, 2020, 06:30:52 PM »
Thank Bjay and Mickey Brady agrees with me !!

Gerry Carr

Re: St Augustine’s
« Reply #1389 on: June 18, 2020, 09:43:00 PM »

Hello Jackie, I was late too. I hope you’re keeping well. I’ve read your posts re Johnny Martin. Glad to hear he’s alive and kicking too.

Looks like I’m late by a year or two for posting here but in case there’s anybody lurking about I started the school in Aug/Sept 1967. Was in S1, S3 and S5 then the classes changed to G something after that. I never missed a day for the first three years and still have the Certificate of Merit for attendance somewhere. After that I discovered the joys of going on the beak. I loved the school and most of the teachers were sound. Fav subject History with Mr Cunningham.