Author Topic: st augustines  (Read 215811 times)

giannineo

Re: st augustines
« Reply #45 on: June 25, 2008, 09:13:40 PM »
could be Olelad... OUL MEMORY AIN'T THAT ACCURATE :-[

olelad

« Reply #46 on: June 25, 2008, 10:39:32 PM »
could be Olelad... OUL MEMORY AIN'T THAT ACCURATE :-[

now i could be well wrong here but im lead to believe it opened 63/64. maybe 65. somewhere round that period anyway.

Aidan

« Reply #47 on: July 07, 2008, 03:39:33 PM »
What can you say about St Augustines,  Remember Oul Sticky the wood work teacher, McCann that taught Tech Drawing?
and the VICE that used to roam  around looking for anyone he coud find to belt. and the Principal, Mr McKeown, then ther was bertie Fulton the football player then there was that lunitic teacher MADDEN who was Mad on Rugby, I would love to meet up with that drop kick to this day. Some of my class mates were Ken Lennon, Micky O'Neil, Danny McKnight, Jimmy Stitt,Tony McCann and many more whose names have left me for trying to think of them. Love to hear from anyone from St Augustines.

olelad

« Reply #48 on: July 10, 2008, 10:38:13 AM »
What can you say about St Augustines,  Remember Oul Sticky the wood work teacher, McCann that taught Tech Drawing?
and the VICE that used to roam  around looking for anyone he coud find to belt. and the Principal, Mr McKeown, then ther was bertie Fulton the football player then there was that lunitic teacher MADDEN who was Mad on Rugby, I would love to meet up with that drop kick to this day. Some of my class mates were Ken Lennon, Micky O'Neil, Danny McKnight, Jimmy Stitt,Tony McCann and many more whose names have left me for trying to think of them. Love to hear from anyone from St Augustines.

what years did you attend there m8 ???  anyone ive ever meet who went there never had agood word on the place

Aidan

« Reply #49 on: July 13, 2008, 05:35:27 AM »
G'Day Olelad,  I would have started at ST Augustines in about 1965 and went there till we left for Aus in 1968

olelad

« Reply #50 on: July 13, 2008, 11:53:26 PM »
G'Day Olelad,  I would have started at ST Augustines in about 1965 and went there till we left for Aus in 1968

pat bates would have been there around that time ??!! mcillhatton,  alan rock , only names i can think of at the moment.

som

« Reply #51 on: August 05, 2008, 02:37:52 PM »
Didn't go to St. Augustines but went to Bearnageeha in 1965. A lot of my school mates from Rosario went there. the memory not the best but a lot of the names sounded familiar. I'm sure Bernard Mc Court from Whithall was at Rosario with me.
I think Paul and Barry Mitchell from 67 Haypark Avnue went there (possibly from 1966 and Barry probably 1968).
One of my mates went there for a few years as an art teacher in the late 70's - Brendan Lynch. Anyone remember him - I think he went back to England to teach.

Cheers

ec

Re: st augustines/lagan village school
« Reply #52 on: August 10, 2008, 10:45:44 PM »
I lived in the short strand and when to lagan village school until I was 11.

I was at lagan village until 1963 then I went to St Monicas.  I didn't think anyone would remember lagan village school as I tried to source information about it, to no avail.

giannineo

« Reply #53 on: August 11, 2008, 10:30:52 AM »
anyone know Eddie Jenkins?

Dub

« Reply #54 on: August 11, 2008, 11:08:52 AM »
anyone know Eddie Jenkins?
  Giannineo,  Eddie used to live in the terrace houses next to McGlades garage, just above Rossetta.  He was a good hard working lad, who when he started working for himself , would have taken on jobs that others would have refused,( he was not afraid to get his hands dirty ).  I am away from Belfast for over 30 years,but the last I heard of him he had a successful building company. The best of luck to him.
                                                                                                                       All the best, Dub.
If you don't read the papers you are not informed.
If you do read the papers you are misinformed.( Mark Twain.)

teap

« Reply #55 on: August 11, 2008, 11:16:13 AM »
I lived in the short strand and when to lagan village school until I was 11.

I was at lagan village until 1963 then I went to St Monicas.  I didn't think anyone would remember lagan village school as I tried to source information about it, to no avail.

I went to it it was in Richardsons street directly facing our house, I was born in 63. was saint monicas a secondary school? i remember leavibg lagan village and went toanother primary school it had nuns and the uniform was grey pinafore and pink shirt, I always thought it was saint monicas but if that was a secondary school there is no chance lol we left Richardsons street in 69. just before i turned 6.

giannineo

« Reply #56 on: August 11, 2008, 03:37:29 PM »
aye Dub, Eddie has done really well.....did you know Speedy Magill from the Gate Lodge at the Convent?

olelad

« Reply #57 on: August 11, 2008, 09:42:08 PM »
I went to it it was in Richardsons street directly facing our house, I was born in 63. was saint monicas a secondary school? i remember leavibg lagan village and went toanother primary school it had nuns and the uniform was grey pinafore and pink shirt, I always thought it was saint monicas but if that was a secondary school there is no chance lol we left Richardsons street in 69. just before i turned 6.

im sure teap we discussed this b4, but lagan village like st anthonys east belfast seem to have fallen foul of any history been wrote up on them ??!!  st anthonys does get a mention in a parish history but i cant remember lagen village getting a mention.
my cousin john mcmanus went there up untill it closed 67? b4 transfering over to st anthonys. lagan village was made up of pupils from the lower woodstock and short strand. agood few went into my class at st anthonys and went onto st augustines.  id love to see afew photos of the place. like st anthonys knocked down and forgotten about except by those of us who went there.

Dub

« Reply #58 on: August 12, 2008, 03:18:48 PM »
aye Dub, Eddie has done really well.....did you know Speedy Magill from the Gate Lodge at the Convent?
    H, Giannineo, I haven't seen or heard of  Speedy McGill  for about 40 years, His older sister Noreen used to be part of the gang when we all used to hang out together at the top of the Ormeau Road.
Speedy went to St Patrick's on the Antrim Road, like me, but was a year or so behind me. I spoke to Noreen his sister about 1984 in an hotel outside Downpatrick where she was working. She was then married. Do you know what Speedy is doing now or where he is ?
                                                                               All the best, Dub.
If you don't read the papers you are not informed.
If you do read the papers you are misinformed.( Mark Twain.)

olelad

« Reply #59 on: August 12, 2008, 10:19:46 PM »
heres afew of the guys who was in the same class as me at st augustines between 69/72. maybe some of you might know afew of them?
martin jackson, donnybrook st. lisburn rd.
kenneth shepard, edinburgh st, lisburn rd.
gerard ronney, ormo rd.
liam darragh, ormo rd.
sean quinn, rushfield av. ormo rd.
vincent weir, woodstock rd.
gerard boyd, markets
john donnelly, markets,
billy woods, ormo rd.
ill add more later.