Author Topic: st augustines  (Read 214698 times)

jim carson

Re: st augustines
« Reply #75 on: September 22, 2008, 12:27:35 PM »
olelad ; why dont you contact st josephs college as they hold old records on file as i went  in years ago for my c.s.e. results .not that they were worth getting !! depending on the year you went they could advise you on records and maybe old photos.

olelad

« Reply #76 on: September 23, 2008, 07:21:27 PM »
jim i contacted the school about 3 years ago in the hope they might provide me with a copy of my classes school reg. all they done was send me a copy of my attenance record of my last year at school. they said they didnt keep a record of each class !  :(

GW

« Reply #77 on: September 23, 2008, 08:33:09 PM »
Peter Mc Ginnity the former Fermanagh gaelic footballer taught in Gustys in the
mid seventies.

jim carson

« Reply #78 on: September 23, 2008, 09:37:23 PM »
alright GW- did he teach their in late 70s /1980 cause i am sure i remember that name. as for hairy dan we all remember him!!

GW

« Reply #79 on: September 26, 2008, 04:41:22 PM »
alright GW- did he teach their in late 70s /1980 cause i am sure i remember that name.
Probably but i left in 1977.

frankie

« Reply #80 on: October 09, 2008, 08:05:14 PM »
I frankie scullion went to st. Agustines in 1963, my form teacher was mr kerr and metal work teacher. Gerard o rawe music teacher, mr meehan was the english teacher, never wore a unifrom. Was only there for 7 months.

jim carson

« Reply #81 on: October 10, 2008, 10:32:59 AM »
ALIGHT FRANKIE,
                          GOOD TO SEE A LOT OF PEOPLE LOGGING ON TO THE OLD SCHOOL. O0

olelad

« Reply #82 on: October 11, 2008, 08:48:27 PM »
still have my old school tie and badge  8)

Dub

« Reply #83 on: October 11, 2008, 09:07:39 PM »
I frankie scullion went to st. Agustines in 1963, my form teacher was mr kerr and metal work teacher. Gerard o rawe music teacher, mr meehan was the english teacher, never wore a unifrom. Was only there for 7 months.

Frankie, was your grandmother Sarah Scullion who lived in Norton Street.
                                                                                                        All the best, Dub.
If you don't read the papers you are not informed.
If you do read the papers you are misinformed.( Mark Twain.)

shannagh1

« Reply #84 on: October 13, 2008, 03:13:43 PM »
I was telling the mate about this wee thread.
He was telling me he might know some of you,Tommy (Charlie) Fagan from Mountpottinger Road.

olelad

« Reply #85 on: October 21, 2008, 06:32:07 PM »
never done a class photo of my class when there. why oh why  >:(

olelad

« Reply #86 on: November 25, 2008, 01:46:46 PM »
anyone know why they changed the name to st Josephs ?

jim carson

« Reply #87 on: November 26, 2008, 10:33:43 AM »
I THINK ST JOSEPHS WAS CONNECTED TO THE NUNS/CHILDREN HOME BESIDE ST MONICAS BUT DONT KNOW WHY THEY DECIDED TO CHANGE THE NAME .LETS FACE IT ANYONE THAT GOT A GOOD {A} LEVEL RESULT WAS FEW AND FAR BETWEEN MOST OF US RAN OUT THE DOOR AT 15/16 AND THOUGHT WE KNEW IT ALL!! IF I WAS THE PRINCIPLE AND WAS ASKED BY OTHER SCHOOLS WHAT OUR AVERAGE RESULTS WHERE I WOULD WANT TO CHANGE THE NAME TOO  ;D :D ;D

olelad

« Reply #88 on: November 26, 2008, 06:49:30 PM »
I THINK ST JOSEPHS WAS CONNECTED TO THE NUNS/CHILDREN HOME BESIDE ST MONICAS BUT DONT KNOW WHY THEY DECIDED TO CHANGE THE NAME .LETS FACE IT ANYONE THAT GOT A GOOD {A} LEVEL RESULT WAS FEW AND FAR BETWEEN MOST OF US RAN OUT THE DOOR AT 15/16 AND THOUGHT WE KNEW IT ALL!! IF I WAS THE PRINCIPLE AND WAS ASKED BY OTHER SCHOOLS WHAT OUR AVERAGE RESULTS WHERE I WOULD WANT TO CHANGE THE NAME TOO  ;D :D ;D

i may already said this on here b4 but anyone ive ever meet who went to st augustines have alway said they hated the place. says it all really.

casper

« Reply #89 on: December 24, 2008, 03:19:42 AM »
I was one of the first intake to St Augustines when it opened in 1963. Vincent J Mcgeown was the headmaster & Mr McConnell was VP. Some others were Mr Donnelly who taught science & maths, Denis (Dominic?) Burns who taught English. John Orr was a young teacher who took woodwork. He was the first one to try to get rugby going at the school. He lived in Ballynahinch & got a couple of games for Ulster. Rugby never flourished because it wasn't a "catholic" sport in those days. I remember Pat "Tiny" Kerr & Michael May whose family owned a jewellers shop in Anne Street. I still have a copy somewhere of the first school magazine. The original school houses were named after Irish islands. There was Aran, Achill, Rathlin & can't remember the last one.  Any body out there share these memories?